The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 26, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #12,361 of 28,989
Yep, enjoying the same setup. HD 800 (+kick)Bass hits pretty hard and extends low, with wide cohorent soundstage, clarity/transp.

Amazing with everything (Music, Gaming, Movies with SBX) though i still prefer the fostex for edm and Overall Bass needs.

Why the hell does optical have lowered volume and has less textures?  It's odd.  But anyhow, D2 puts out resolution pretty well, but that sharp HD800 sibilance is still there(bangs head).
triportsad.gif
 I guess I can't avoid it unless I color the damn thing or mod it.  I don't want to add a amp like crack to color it as I notice integrated sound very resolved, and I don't like tubes.  I don't want to color it and lose resolution.

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #12,362 of 28,989
  Oh come on, from one alum of the UofM, I thought you would get it in maize and blue ! Unless, gasp, you're not one of us 
wink.gif

Oh, I am, I AM one of you!  Five family members went to U of M, my grandmother went to school with three folks whose names are now on buildings, and I got five degrees there and taught there.  I thought long and hard, using the picture below.

But eventually, matching my red-and-black FIAT Abarth Italian sports car won out...

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #12,363 of 28,989
^^*Matt, I would love to learn more about how theAlpha Dogs compliment your HD800's?

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #12,364 of 28,989
  Why the hell does optical have lowered volume and has less textures?  It's odd.  But anyhow, D2 puts out resolution pretty well, but that sharp HD800 sibilance is still there(bangs head).
triportsad.gif
 I guess I can't avoid it unless I color the damn thing or mod it.  I don't want to add a amp like crack to color it as I notice integrated sound very resolved, and I don't like tubes.  I don't want to color it and lose resolution.

Tried my NT6 on the D2 to compare optical and usb.  USB is definately louder and outputs more details.  What would this be?  USB and optical is just transport of digital stream.  This is quite perplexing.  
confused_face(1).gif

Jul 27, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #12,365 of 28,989
It seems that I need to bring down 5&6k a bit. It lines up with Tyll's graph of the hump at 5&6k.  I brought it down to -12dB on the graphic equilizer app for foobar, and it helps(it actually helps with tonality, not as tinny sounding and harshness is reduced), but is that too much?  How much does -12dB of the graphic equilizer translate to the loudness in dB?  I want to bring down 4dB according to the graph.  

Jul 27, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #12,367 of 28,989

Oh, I am, I AM one of you!  Five family members went to U of M, my grandmother went to school with three folks whose names are now on buildings, and I got five degrees there and taught there.  I thought long and hard, using the picture below.

But eventually, matching my red-and-black FIAT Abarth Italian sports car won out...

Well, Go Blue ! You must share your name with me on a PM. I was there for 5 years for 2 degrees. Class of 1987 ! But I digress. The car needs repainting, I'm afraid 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Edit: That is one great pair of looking headphones. May I borrow your idea if in the future, I would like to change the paint on any of my HPs?

Jul 27, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #12,368 of 28,989

Well, Go Blue !........

While I got my CIEM sorted, seems I still need to give ColorWare a call with the right pantone codes for our beloved Maize & Blue.............

Jul 27, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #12,370 of 28,989
^^*Matt, I would love to learn more about how theAlpha Dogs compliment your HD800's?

I was referring more to the juxtaposition of closed and planar to the open dynamic of the 800...more so than a direct complement to the sound signature. There are times at my house when it's just too noisy to enjoy an open hp. 

Jul 27, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #12,371 of 28,989
LOL when you said U of M I thought you were talking about the U of Minnesota, then I realized that the colors on the headphone are not maroon and gold. Thought I would meet a fellow gopher here.

Anyways guys, does anyone know how the HD800 sound like when pairing with Wooaudio WA7? I know that somewhere in this thread someone had already given their opinions about this combination but looking through >800 pages is a hard task for someone that is lazy like me.

Jul 27, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #12,372 of 28,989

I've worked with folks in Bloomington MN and at U Minn, so I am familiar with the different meaning of U of M... just didn't occur to me when I saw yours!

Go Gophers!

Jul 27, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #12,373 of 28,989

Who's that guy with matching HD800 in the fiat?  
biggrin.gif

John, your correlation chart is pretty interesting.  Lately I've noticed a correlation of SE846 iem users talking about the HD800(or some owning both here), would be interesting to get a relationship of iems and cans members here prefer.  Just an idea.  
L3000.gif

I don't know how you get the info for the chart.

Jul 27, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #12,374 of 28,989

Users who are viewing this thread

Back