The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 7, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #10,412 of 28,992
feel like hd800 + d7000 is end game for me...i'll keep my sr225 woodies b/c they're quite fun, too, but he-500 probably won't stay, hf2 will be sold, and the only headphone i really want to try is the th900, but not a necessity at the moment. 

for now, more concerned about amp and source. ragnarok sounds like it will be a beast...i think it's between that and the taurus mk.ii 

May 7, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #10,414 of 28,992
Foobar equalizer does an excellent job in making my HD800s "fun". I don't have the ears of a bat so it does the trick for me. 
gs1000.gif

May 7, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #10,415 of 28,992
I sold the TH900 after thoroughly comparing it to my HD800s on the same rig: ZDSE/DP1. I felt that the HD800 had it beat in nearly every area, both objective and subjective. I was very impressed with the Fostex soundstage though-it simply did not sound like a closed headphone. I think I simply grew out of colored headphones years ago-though the TH900 definitely strikes a good balance between fun and neutral imo.

-Daniel

May 7, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #10,416 of 28,992
  Foobar equalizer does an excellent job in making my HD800s "fun". I don't have the ears of a bat so it does the trick for me. 
gs1000.gif

I agree, if you want make the HD800 fun give it a +3-5dB boost in the midrange between 1kHz and 4kHz (peaking between 2-3.5 kHz) and it will have the same "glorious mids" as HD650, Grados, Denons etc etc.

Don't knock it till you've tried it.
wink.gif

I don't use anything that extreme day-to-day though. But it's entirely possible to alter the sound signature of the HD800 to almost anything you fancy.

May 7, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #10,417 of 28,992
With all due respect to the above posters,  I would say that the HD-800 and TH-900 are equal in terms of quality and in what they bring to the table. Both headphones shine in certain areas.  Being a new owner of both headphones as well as a veteran Sig Pro owner (if I can use that term ..lol)

I find myself reaching for the TH-900's quite a bit.  I agree though that the HD-800 is a detail monster and possesses a Godly soundstage factor of 10,  there is still  something very organic, magical about the TH-900 (excuse the HF cliché terms)

Perhaps its a mood thing also.  I would agree with Canadian411 that "an endgame" solution is to own both to a degree.  While I wouldn't go as far as endgame it comes close.  I would imagine for me a SR-009 / Abyss combo would be true endgame material.

Cheers though to the HD-800 for all that it does great.  Oh forgot to mention,  I feel that the TH-900 bests the D-7000 considerably....just my 2cents.

Make no mistake though, the HD-800 is a fantastic headphone that any Head Fi'er deserves at least to hear or better yet .... own.

May 7, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #10,418 of 28,992
With all due respect to the above posters,  I would say that the HD-800 and TH-900 are equal in terms of quality and in what they bring to the table. Both headphones shine in certain areas.  Being a new owner of both headphones as well as a veteran Sig Pro owner (if I can use that term ..lol)

I find myself reaching for the TH-900's quite a bit.  I agree though that the HD-800 is a detail monster and possesses a Godly soundstage factor of 10,  there is still  something very organic, magical about the TH-900 (excuse the HF cliché terms)

Perhaps its a mood thing also.  I would agree with Canadian411 that "an endgame" solution is to own both to a degree.  While I wouldn't go as far as endgame it comes close.  I would imagine for me a SR-009 / Abyss combo would be true endgame material.

Cheers though to the HD-800 for all that it does great.  Oh forgot to mention,  I feel that the TH-900 bests the D-7000 considerably....just my 2cents.

Make no mistake though, the HD-800 is a fantastic headphone that any Head Fi'er deserves at least to hear or better yet .... own.
Thanks for your thoughts. Can you tell us in what specific ways the th900 best the d7000 "by a considerable margin?"

May 7, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #10,419 of 28,992
Thanks for your thoughts. Can you tell us in what specific ways the th900 best the d7000 "by a considerable margin?"

I say everthing except the mids.
D7000 also had a flaw in the treble department, woman vocale was bit harsh for me. And the soundstage was lacking quiet a lot in d7000.

Th900 improved the soundstage, smooths the trebles.

Only thing that significantly improved is the bass in TH900 over d7 and much cleaner sound.

I have to say th900 sound quality is equals to hd800.

D7k sound quality was same as lcd2.2 which I consider as a midfi can.

All I am saying is, keep d7k and skip th900 if you don't want to spend money. But if can, then still keep the d7k wit th900 :wink:

May 7, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #10,420 of 28,992
Hey kugino for me personally I feel that the TH-900 is more detailed and adds more sparkle (not shrill or bright though).  From my memory I consider the Denon series more along the lines of the Sig Pro in that while it is a warm signature and fast at the same time its still lacks a certain euphony,  musicality.

I find that the TH-900's sense of soundstage bests the D-7000.

These are of course just my opinions and you know what they say about opinions
evil_smiley.gif

Hope this makes sense to you. 

May 8, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #10,421 of 28,992
  Hey kugino for me personally I feel that the TH-900 is more detailed and adds more sparkle (not shrill or bright though).  From my memory I consider the Denon series more along the lines of the Sig Pro in that while it is a warm signature and fast at the same time its still lacks a certain euphony,  musicality.

I find that the TH-900's sense of soundstage bests the D-7000.

These are of course just my opinions and you know what they say about opinions
evil_smiley.gif

Hope this makes sense to you. 

I say everthing except the mids.
D7000 also had a flaw in the treble department, woman vocale was bit harsh for me. And the soundstage was lacking quiet a lot in d7000.

Th900 improved the soundstage, smooths the trebles.

Only thing that significantly improved is the bass in TH900 over d7 and much cleaner sound.

I have to say th900 sound quality is equals to hd800.

D7k sound quality was same as lcd2.2 which I consider as a midfi can.

All I am saying is, keep d7k and skip th900 if you don't want to spend money. But if can, then still keep the d7k wit th900
wink.gif

thanks for the replies, guys. i actually think the soundstage of the d7000 is really good for a closed headphone...much better than the alpha dogs and grados. if the th900 is even better, that's pretty amazing. 

i like the mids of the d7000, no doubt. i think the he-500 do female vocals a bit better, but i like the d7000 in every other way. if indeed the th900 is a much more refined and euphonic headphone, i'd love to hear it. i'm fairly certain i will cross paths with it one day soon...i'd love to do my own comparison between the two.

for now, i'll concentrate on figuring out my amp situation. 

May 8, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #10,422 of 28,992
  Here in India, there was a ridiculously low special-offer price on HD800 from one of our reputable online sites for a couple of days recently. My sum total experience of high-end 'phones, so far, is about ten minutes, in a shop, with the LCD2s on my head, and I never heard HD800 yet. Even so, it was sooo tempting! I was telling myself that it should be easy to recover the price if I had to sell them ...but it was still a lot of money (half the price would be a lot of money!) and I don't have much of that just now.

This was a serious temptation, and serious mental conflict. Yes, I would like to own what is recognised as one of the world's best headphones... Yes, I am a detail freak in my listening... but I also like to just relax into the music and, although there is not much MP3 on my disk, there is digitised vinyl from far-from-perfect LPs and... although my high-frequency hearing loss needs good highs, it also makes hard highs painful to listen to.

Oh, if only I'd had a chance to listen to these 'phones before that offer came and went.

Perhaps, though, it was better that way, at least for my wallet ...and for my relationship with my wife!

triportsad.gif

The seed is planted now my friend - You will get them, it is inevitable! 
evil_smiley.gif
 And your wallet will forgive you in time, but your ears will be thanking you for many years!

And when you do, your wife will suddenly become an inconvenience.. 
biggrin.gif

Regarding possible painful highs with your hearing, a simple tweak on a good EQ can pinpoint areas that can cause you annoyance. But really the treble is far from painful in general. Just highly detailed :) 

May 8, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #10,424 of 28,992
I sold the TH900 after thoroughly comparing it to my HD800s on the same rig: ZDSE/DP1. I felt that the HD800 had it beat in nearly every area, both objective and subjective. I was very impressed with the Fostex soundstage though-it simply did not sound like a closed headphone. I think I simply grew out of colored headphones years ago-though the TH900 definitely strikes a good balance between fun and neutral imo.

-Daniel

Yeah to my ears, th900 is the BEST closed headphones I've heard so far. Very neutral, seems to do very good in pretty much almost everything. Soundstage is very very good for a closed headphones.

After I get my hd800 and selling off most of my mud low Fi gears. I definitely will get a pair as my closed gear supplementing the open hd800.. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back