The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 10, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #14,446 of 29,010
Don't think you can compare SE stock cable versus Druag2 Balanced.  Properly implemented balanced will give "deeper, cleaner & more impactfull perception of sound" over a standard SE. (Tried this on a HDVD800 balanced and SE at the same time, Senn cables)

If you compared Senn balanced cable versus Druag2 balanced on the same amp, you'd probably be back to the 3-5% improvement.

+1

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #14,447 of 29,010

Probably, yes.  Unless you have a phone that could plug into a DAC.

the phone is a Note III, love the viper4android audio driver/app with custom music effects.

the dac is a schiit bifrost w/ uber analog and 2nd gen usb.
I am still deciding upon an amp, probably a eddy current super 7 or if i can find used cavalli audio liquid glass 

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #14,448 of 29,010
I don't want to influence you any more than I may have already, by telling you what hasn't worked for me - in part because I'm certain my requirements are not typical of most HD800 owners.  

I'm trying to push the HD800 in the direction of my LCD-2 rev.1's frequency response, retaining everything else the HD800 offers, without using EQ, all the while avoiding laptops and PCs as my transport - preferring the FiiO X5 coaxial out to a Metrum Octave MkII as my source (until further notice).

In other words, I'm still adrift at sea because not just any beach will do.  
biggrin.gif

All that said, we are in the same boat with this observation...

Thus far, maintaining a very select playlist for the HD800 is my best "solution" - as there are several albums out there that are recorded such that the HD800 can really show its stuff.   And a select playlist might just be where I end up - when I get tired of rowing this boat!

Mike

What makes you want to stay away from EQ's and computers? Are you making a transportable setup?

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #14,449 of 29,010
zilch - have you had a chance to try a mainline yet, or alternatively it's commercial cousin the L2? while remaining fast, detailed and dynamic, this amp allowed me to happily pull my anax mod without ever looking back. Got mine up and running a year back and I have 0 upgraditis on the amp front. Wouldn't trade it for a Zd, wa5/22, 307a or any of the other names that pop up over and over. If you have the time and patience to sink into the build, it is a really tough amp to beat, particularly with hd800s.

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #14,450 of 29,010
  Just back from a meet 

Various HP's including:
HE-6, HE500, HE560, T1, T5, Fostex TH900, HD700, HD650, PS1, PS500, GS1K, LCD-2 and Rev. version and X

Various Amps and DAC's:  Schiit, Meier, OPPO etc.

The HD800 is still my favorite HP (detail, imaging and soundstage), runner up for me, the HE-6 (better with harder and faster rock)

Which was your fav amp for the HE 6?

Oct 10, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #14,452 of 29,010
  [snip]

What makes you want to stay away from EQ's and computers? Are you making a transportable setup?

Yes, I use a FiiO X5 with an iBasso PB2 as a portable rig, but also as the transport for my desktop rig (at my recliner).  My biggest problem with using laptops or PCs is that I find myself easily distracted by surfing or reading and posting to Head-Fi - instead of really listening to the music. Even the iPad Mini can be a distraction. I get the most pleasure from my music when I'm not fiddling with something else.  

My laptop-equipped, constantly evolving, dining table "audio lab" is well-suited to analyzing gear, but not at all conducive to enjoying music.   

zilch - have you had a chance to try a mainline yet, or alternatively it's commercial cousin the L2? while remaining fast, detailed and dynamic, this amp allowed me to happily pull my anax mod without ever looking back. Got mine up and running a year back and I have 0 upgraditis on the amp front. Wouldn't trade it for a Zd, wa5/22, 307a or any of the other names that pop up over and over. If you have the time and patience to sink into the build, it is a really tough amp to beat, particularly with hd800s.

I've heard a lot of good things about the mainline and have fantasized about jumping on this beauty built by Misterrogers, ever since he first posted it for sale:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/733108/custom-bottlehead-mainline-build

But I'm too frugally disciplined (cheap!) to spend that much money on an amp, despite believing it's worth every penny he's asking.  And I don't have the skill to build one, myself.  And then there's the whole problem (my problem) with tubes - I'd go nuts rolling them for months, I'm sure, because I did exactly that rolling op-amps in my iBasso PB2 portable amp.  But I nonetheless believe tube amps of this caliber are the best way to go with the HD800.  

I'm currently hoping to find a sufficiently warm (for the HD800 and my tastes) and very transparent, less than $1000 solid state amp, preferably of a low-feedback design (something like a used Audio-gd Master 9, for example.)

Meanwhile, my Metrum Octave MkII and my recently applied ring-of-felt HD800 mod have taken the HD800 a lot closer to where I want it. My HD800 playlist is getting larger...

Thanks,

Mike

Oct 10, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #14,453 of 29,010

And then there's the whole problem (my problem) with tubes - I'd go nuts rolling them for months, I'm sure,

LOL . I'm in the same boat and it's one of the reason why I've choosen the DNA Sonett 2 . there's very few tube rolling options. I can live quietly without always asking myself if another tubes combination would sound any better.
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #14,455 of 29,010

I've heard a lot of good things about the mainline and have fantasized about jumping on this beauty built by Misterrogers, ever since he first posted it for sale:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/733108/custom-bottlehead-mainline-build

But I'm too frugally disciplined (cheap!) to spend that much money on an amp, despite believing it's worth every penny he's asking.  And I don't have the skill to build one, myself.  And then there's the whole problem (my problem) with tubes - I'd go nuts rolling them for months, I'm sure, because I did exactly that rolling op-amps in my iBasso PB2 portable amp.  But I nonetheless believe tube amps of this caliber are the best way to go with the HD800.  

I'm currently hoping to find a sufficiently warm (for the HD800 and my tastes) and very transparent, less than $1000 solid state amp, preferably of a low-feedback design (something like a used Audio-gd Master 9, for example.)

Meanwhile, my Metrum Octave MkII and my recently applied ring-of-felt HD800 mod have taken the HD800 a lot closer to where I want it. My HD800 playlist is getting larger...

Thanks,

Mike

Its a pity that the mainline is rotten ugly. 

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #14,456 of 29,010
Wow Jeff Buckley on these sound so good 

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #14,457 of 29,010
  What are your suggestions now for my budget between 2000-2500 for amp/dac.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/650510/the-new-hd800-impressions-thread/12615#post_10774632  some Ideas for you :wink:

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #14,459 of 29,010
 i listen to the Abyss of a Woo Audio5 at an Audio show was expecting alot got out of there a happy man because i knew my journey was over its the HD 800  for me .                                                                                                                

I felt the same after hearing the abyss on the wa234 lol

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #14,460 of 29,010
Quote:

And then there's the whole problem (my problem) with tubes - I'd go nuts rolling them for months, I'm sure, because I did exactly that rolling op-amps in my iBasso PB2 portable amp.  But I nonetheless believe tube amps of this caliber are the best way to go with the HD800.  

One thing to note with Mainline is that there are not many choices to roll in.
Good thing is that the parafeed circuitry is supposedly somewhat less dependant on tubes.
But there are caps, transformers and pots that can be upgraded.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back