The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #14,431 of 29,010
Looks like part of a Borg ship, but red instead of green.

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #14,433 of 29,010

Woo Audio WA22, plus some $500 DAC.  
redface.gif

I found a the schiit Bifrost with Uber analog with usb gen 2 on craiglist in pristine condition for 300 bucks shipped.
Is that a good dac, and will it do justice to a top of the line amp? I plan on the Eddy Current super 7 (with some better tubes), or a Cavalli Audio Liquid gold in the future. Will keep an eye if i can pick up any of these used. 
  High End amps i would recommend..

Woo Audio WA2 (for tubes)
Sennheiser HDVD800 (need to run balanced)
Auralic Taurus MKII (Need balanced too)
Violectric V281 (Balanced as well, has optional DAC)
Schiit Ragnarok too perhaps? Havent tried this one yet

All bar the HDVD800 are standalone amps which would require a DAC too but are very good amps for the HD800 in my experience.

what is ur take on Eddy Current super 7 (with some better tubes), or a Cavalli Audio Liquid gold

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #14,434 of 29,010

I found a the schiit Bifrost with Uber analog with usb gen 2 on craiglist in pristine condition for 300 bucks shipped.
Is that a good dac, and will it do justice to a top of the line amp? I plan on the Eddy Current super 7 (with some better tubes), or a Cavalli Audio Liquid gold in the future. Will keep an eye if i can pick up any of these used. 
what is ur take on Eddy Current super 7 (with some better tubes), or a Cavalli Audio Liquid gold

That's a really good deal for the Bifrost, as long as the seller is reputable.  It's definitely a good place to start.  Both of those amps are out of your budget right now.  I only tried the HD 800 with the GS-X Mk2 and WA22, and man did they sing with the WA22... you can't call the HD 800 sterile with the WA22 that's for sure.

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #14,436 of 29,010
Is the abyss really worth 3x of the HD800 price?

i listen to the Abyss of a Woo Audio5 at an Audio show was expecting alot got out of there a happy man because i knew my journey was over its the HD 800  for me .                                                                                                                

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #14,437 of 29,010
^ that's 1 long sentence, brother!  
beerchug.gif

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #14,438 of 29,010

That's a really good deal for the Bifrost, as long as the seller is reputable.  It's definitely a good place to start.  Both of those amps are out of your budget right now.  I only tried the HD 800 with the GS-X Mk2 and WA22, and man did they sing with the WA22... you can't call the HD 800 sterile with the WA22 that's for sure.

Thanks for that info.
I dont plan to get any of those amp right now, it will be around tax time.

By the way. How do you connect your phone to one of these dac/amps? the cell phone has a smaller connecting port compared to the thicker/bigger one with the hd800?
Another question, do you equalize or use presets with any of your music players? I'll be using the macbook, whats commonly used by the audiophiles. few pages back i was looking at the izotop ozone. I guess thats not that simple to configure and use, there is a steep learning curve. or do ppl do share their settings, or preset files?

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #14,439 of 29,010
Deleted...
off topic

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #14,440 of 29,010
^ wow.  First I heard 20%.  Now, you are saying 40%.   It's getting tempting even for a cable non-believer like me.  Good return policy and typical turn around?

Also, just to clarify that you compare your single ended stock cable to a balanced Draug 2 cable?

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #14,441 of 29,010
Don't think you can compare SE stock cable versus Druag2 Balanced.  Properly implemented balanced will give "deeper, cleaner & more impactfull perception of sound" over a standard SE. (Tried this on a HDVD800 balanced and SE at the same time, Senn cables)

If you compared Senn balanced cable versus Druag2 balanced on the same amp, you'd probably be back to the 3-5% improvement.

Quote:
Sorry guys I know how you feel but this is not like anything I have experienced in the past.

The Druag2 cable must be herd to be believed and once you do that, there's no going back..

What I herd was not your usual 3-5% over stock cable.

It was closer to 40% change on balanced cable giving deeper, cleaner & more impactfull perception of sound.
i have herd others and none made such large positive difference leaving the single ended stock cable like rubbish as throw away cord.

Like I say, you have to hear it to believe. ..

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #14,442 of 29,010

Thanks for that info.
I dont plan to get any of those amp right now, it will be around tax time.

By the way. How do you connect your phone to one of these dac/amps? the cell phone has a smaller connecting port compared to the thicker/bigger one with the hd800?
Another question, do you equalize or use presets with any of your music players? I'll be using the macbook, whats commonly used by the audiophiles. few pages back i was looking at the izotop ozone. I guess thats not that simple to configure and use, there is a steep learning curve. or do ppl do share their settings, or preset files?

Not every phone works with a DAC.  If yours has a USB connection, that would work with a USB DAC.  To connect to an amplifier, you'd have to use a 3.5mm to dual RCA cable/adapter.  If you want to plug something like the HD 800 directly into the phone (I doubt it would sound good), you'd need a 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter.

Most people around here use Equalizer APO I think.  Personally I don't really use EQ.

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #14,443 of 29,010

Not every phone works with a DAC.  If yours has a USB connection, that would work with a USB DAC.  To connect to an amplifier, you'd have to use a 3.5mm to dual RCA cable/adapter.  If you want to plug something like the HD 800 directly into the phone (I doubt it would sound good), you'd need a 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter.

Most people around here use Equalizer APO I think.  Personally I don't really use EQ.

Cool thanks.
I really like to listen to music just before i fall asleep, and plan to keep the amp/dac next to the bed side. will i always have to connect the macbook to the dac/amp each time i am listening to music?

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #14,444 of 29,010

Cool thanks.
I really like to listen to music just before i fall asleep, and plan to keep the amp/dac next to the bed side. will i always have to connect the macbook to the dac/amp each time i am listening to music?

Probably, yes.  Unless you have a phone that could plug into a DAC.

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #14,445 of 29,010
Which phone and which DAC?
I can and have connected my iPhone5/6 and iPad MiniR with the Camera Connection Kit > USB Cable > DAC/AMP.

Quote:
Cool thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back