The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 5, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #12,586 of 29,017
I really REALLY agree with this.  Unless the HD800's have some serious gear driving them I feel that there are many far superior choices out there.  However, when they have the right gear backing them they are exceptional.

Am I really alone in thinking that my hd800 even out of say my phone still sounds better than most alternatives?

Don't get me wrong I usually drive them with a Bryston bha-1 and know that they scale and can sound even better.

Edit: I don't listen to them very loud and thus the trebble is never really an issue for me.

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #12,587 of 29,017
Am I really alone in thinking that my hd800 even out of say my phone still sounds better than most alternatives?

Don't get me wrong I usually drive them with a Bryston bha-1 and know that they scale and can sound even better.

Edit: I don't listen to them very loud and thus the trebble is never really an issue for me.

To each their own.  Perhaps it's not that the HD800's sound "bad" (out of a phone, or less amp, etc) it's more that other headphones could sound better (for less money).

IMHO

For example, out of my Bottlehead Crack I much prefer my HD600's to my 800's.

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #12,588 of 29,017
I think there are possible issues pairing a revealing headphone with keen/analytical DAC like Sabre etc. because to make analytical DAC musical takes very good quality design (and associated equipment) whereas more musical alternatives will sound, well, musical in less expensive implementations and setups.  Sabre can tend to sound a bit flat and bleached in lesser implementations IMO.

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #12,589 of 29,017
  I think there are possible issues pairing a revealing headphone with keen/analytical DAC like Sabre etc. because to make analytical DAC musical takes very good quality design (and associated equipment) whereas more musical alternatives will sound, well, musical in less expensive implementations and setups.  Sabre can tend to sound a bit flat and bleached in lesser implementations IMO.

So much of this here, I got rid of my 800 and not looking back.  Good luck to yall!  Will look for musical lesser setup, enjoy your higher setups and the garbage in and outs.

I was curious of the discussions here and I have a better idea now.

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #12,590 of 29,017

Well it's all relative. I'm not sure what other budget amps you've heard, but the stock m-Stage is pretty warm to me-more than others seem to think. Maybe you should check out a Bottlehead Crack next.

-Daniel

Yeah you've hit the nail on the head - I've not heard the HD800 through any other amp for more than a couple of minutes! My next challenge is how to get to audition all these 'buy them online and nowhere else' amps (Schiit, Bottlehead, ALO, Woo, etc. etc.) in my home city of Montreal. I'm not the kind of guy to buy something in the full knowledge that it's a trial purchase.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #12,591 of 29,017
Yeah you've hit the nail on the head - I've not heard the HD800 through any other amp for more than a couple of minutes! My next challenge is how to get to audition all these 'buy them online and nowhere else' amps (Schiit, Bottlehead, ALO, Woo, etc. etc.) in my home city of Montreal. I'm not the kind of guy to buy something in the full knowledge that it's a trial purchase.

Ime the Vali/mStage are really the best amps for the HD800 under a grand (check my profile). The Crack or Lyr mate pretty well too, but at the expense of some of the Senn's strengths imo. Cost no object in each range I would say:

<$1000: Vali/mStage
$1-2k: Luxman P1u/Bryston BHA-1/Super 7
$2-3k: ZDSE/Stratus
$3k+: ECBA/ LAu

Of course there are plenty of other good picks in these ranges-but ime the mid range (<1k) stuff is lacking as far as the HD800 is concerned. Again-all relative from my experience here. My .02.

-Daniel

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #12,592 of 29,017
I wouldn't use any SABRE with HD800.

Wyrd>Modi>Vali>HD800 for a budget setup. At least that's what I would do. I was just using it the other day in fact.

Wyrd provides better quality USB power and reclocks data stream = Modi no longer has lean sound and ends up have more focus and precision

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #12,594 of 29,017

I have no idea how you do it. I modded my HD800s AND my dynahi was definitely a little less harsh in the treble when stacked against the GSX-MK2 but I still had to get rid of the X-Sabre. I actually think it was a better pairing with the 2A3 MKIV, though.

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #12,595 of 29,017
Im really enjoying the Gungnir with mine. After all the negative things I had read about it with the 800s, I was basically avoiding it, but I am very happy I gave it shot. this is through the Valhalla 2. I think I'm gonna get a Bifrost for myself though so they match 
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #12,597 of 29,017
Im really enjoying the Gungnir with mine. After all the negative things I had read about it with the 800s, I was basically avoiding it, but I am very happy I gave it shot. this is through the Valhalla 2. I think I'm gonna get a Bifrost for myself though so they match :D

Thanks for your feedback on the pairing of the Gungnir and the HD 800. I am planning to get the Gungnir, and it is good to know it can be used with the HD 800.

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #12,599 of 29,017
Ime the Vali/mStage are really the best amps for the HD800 under a grand (check my profile). The Crack or Lyr mate pretty well too, but at the expense of some of the Senn's strengths imo. Cost no object in each range I would say:

<$1000: Vali/mStage
$1-2k: Luxman P1u/Bryston BHA-1/Super 7
$2-3k: ZDSE/Stratus
$3k+: ECBA/ LAu

Of course there are plenty of other good picks in these ranges-but ime the mid range (<1k) stuff is lacking as far as the HD800 is concerned. Again-all relative from my experience here. My .02.

-Daniel

Is the vali/m stage a overall better match than the lyr or is it just a slight improvement? I'm thinking of getting a $1k-1.5k amp by the end of the year and wondering if I should grab one of those two until I get to it to sell a few headphones for the purchase?

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #12,600 of 29,017
Has anoyne compared the HD800 to Genelec 8020/8030?

8020 vs 8030 -> 8030 sounds a bit more fuller. Retains the sound signature. Also more upfront and in your face. For some it can be fatiguing. 8040 and 8050 is where I'd personally start though. Bigger drivers usually sound more at ease and fuller, regardless of the volume. The 8000 series in general is well reputable.

HD800 - Very neutral to me and very pleasing without getting in your face. It's my neutral reference I suppose. For your comparison, the bass goes deeper on the HD800 of course.

8020 vs. HD800 - I'll take the HD800

8030 vs. HD800 - Probably still HD800

8040 vs. HD800 - Leaning towards 8040

8050 vs HD800 - I'm taking 8050s each time

The Focal CMS series and the Solo's is a great alternative as well. It might be more pleasing for some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back