The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 5, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #12,571 of 29,017
Nice! Congratulations , being able to compare the 2 best headphones is a very enviable position to be in. I can't think of a much better way to spend a Tuesday
smily_headphones1.gif
What are your instant thoughts?

Wow congrats!! That's a heck of an acquisition. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the two...

popcorn.gif

Thanks. Listen guys, this is the 800 thread. I'll be very brief. IMO, transparency, accuracy, extension at both ends, this is as good as it gets. The amp is very good as well (the KGSShv). 

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #12,574 of 29,017
Is the ODAC good enough for HD800?
I'm considerind ODAC+M-Stage or ODAC+ Vali.
I was considering ODAC/O2 but some said it's not a good combination with HD800.

I'm currently using the odac with HDVD800 and it sounds amazing. I would say the O2 is more accurate than the HDVD800 amp but I did find the HD800 a tad bright with it and the hdvd800 perfectly neutral. I think it comes down the the output impedance in the senn amp having an effect on the FR. It's very subtle going back and forth between the 2 amps and I've never done a double blind test so take this with a massive pinch of salt. Basically the HDVD800 cost alot more so I WANT it to sound better so it does :wink:

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #12,575 of 29,017

In fairness, I think that the dac often gets overlooked in the chain and may in fact be the most important consideration outside of the headphone itself...especially with a hp like the hd800. 

It's easy for me to make this argument having just bought the m51. 
wink.gif

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #12,576 of 29,017

In fairness, I think that the dac often gets overlooked in the chain and may in fact be the most important consideration outside of the headphone itself...especially with a hp like the hd800. 

It's easy for me to make this argument having just bought the m51. 
wink.gif

Well, there is no certainty if the very expensive DACs make significant enough difference.  You have a DAC, match it up with amp.  Get another DAC, same amp, and etc..  After using a certain amp and switching the DACs, you find one that does quite well, and think that DAC performs better than others.  How can  you be so certain?  This goes for integrated DACs as well, as there is the analog section there for the headphone port.  

If somebody likes the sound of a certain DAC they like it, I cannot disagree, but certainty of the DAC being suprior is not there.  You find a good match and the setup sounds good, I'm sure it sounds good, but wether the DAC is the best there is, is not certain.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #12,577 of 29,017

I have the ODAC/M-Stage/HD800 combo and I have to say that after extended listening over the last few months I do not think this setup synergises well. The overall sound (whilst deliciously detailed) is too cold and clinical for my tastes - I just don't get 'carried away on the music' often enough. Yes, I know that the HD800 is at this end of the scale but many many reviewers have pointed out that the HD800 scales extremely well and is also extremely picky about it's amp pairing.

The ODAC is on loan and I'm more familiar with the HRT microStreamer (which 6moons said was on the bright/detailed side) and though I've not directly A/Bed the two DACs my initial impressions is that they're pretty similar in sound signature.

Earlier in this thread I pointed out that the M-Stage is a clone of the Lehmann Black Cube which is the amp Sennheiser used when originally demoing the HD800 (so at least they thought it was a good match). My current opinion though is that the HD800 fares better with a warmer amplifier design. Sennheiser's HDVD600 goes in that direction, and a tube design would typically do so even more, so (though I've never heard it) I'd suggest you favour the Vali over the m-Stage.

Hope this helps, albeit somewhat negatively. Earlier today I read a comparative review of the microStreamer against the 
Resonessence Labs Herus ($350) which said that the Herus was the warmer DAC.

yan

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #12,578 of 29,017

Some say, the ODAC is on the bright side; if this is true, then don’t expect the Vali to mitigate that brightness, but I’m pretty sure the Matrix M-stage will dampen it a bit. With my present Dac (Peachtree dac it x) and with my previous Dac (music fidelity v-dac mkii), I prefer the Vali for a number of reasons. (My number one reason? An immersive, crystal clear soundstage. Actually, I should say this setup produces a 4-dimensional soundstage, because when I listen to the HD800 time all but evaporates
wink_face.gif
) The M-stage, however, beats the Vali in one critical area: it has a “blacker background” and is dead quiet to boot. Unfortunately, the Vali rings a little when you first fire it up. Both amps are impressive with the HD800, but the Vali is only $119 
normal_smile .gif

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #12,579 of 29,017
I'm considering the M-Stage or Schiit Vali as a budget amp, but i can't decide which one ):

In a nutshell the Vali is more detailed, punchy and sounds a titch bright, but still great with the HD800s. The m-Stage is warmer with a larger ss-maybe ever so slightly less transparent with the stock opamp.

If you're happy with the stock HD800 sound, grab the Vali and save some money. If you're w/ the group that thinks the stock HD800 is too thin and bright-the m-Stage is your budget amp. My .02.

-Daniel

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #12,582 of 29,017
In a nutshell the Vali is more detailed, punchy and sounds a titch bright, but still great with the HD800s. The m-Stage is warmer with a larger ss-maybe ever so slightly less transparent with the stock opamp.

If you're happy with the stock HD800 sound, grab the Vali and save some money. If you're w/ the group that thinks the stock HD800 is too thin and bright-the m-Stage is your budget amp. My .02.

-Daniel

Well that's me told! If the m-Stage is considered warm for a SS amp then I definitely need me some big tubes to soften up my HD800 :D

Aug 5, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #12,583 of 29,017
I do see the need or wish to correct something, when the sound preference is different than what folks are getting from the HD800... but that said : The issue is the source and not the HD800. The headphone is true to the source ... crap in crap out. That is true for the sound quality of the source itself, as well as the music material in the first place. Just because the HD800 is highly regarded by a lot of folks, it doesn't mean it the right choice for everybody. It can easily get you in trouble because it's a long path to get a complete set up that will do justice to the headphones. Trying to patch things up will usually only be a short term solution and not satisfying in the long run.

Aug 5, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #12,584 of 29,017

Well that's me told! If the m-Stage is considered warm for a SS amp then I definitely need me some big tubes to soften up my HD800 :D

Well it's all relative. I'm not sure what other budget amps you've heard, but the stock m-Stage is pretty warm to me-more than others seem to think. Maybe you should check out a Bottlehead Crack next.

-Daniel

Aug 5, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #12,585 of 29,017
  I do see the need or wish to correct something, when the sound preference is different than what folks are getting from the HD800... but that said : The issue is the source and not the HD800. The headphone is true to the source ... crap in crap out. That is true for the sound quality of the source itself, as well as the music material in the first place. Just because the HD800 is highly regarded by a lot of folks, it doesn't mean it the right choice for everybody. It can easily get you in trouble because it's a long path to get a complete set up that will do justice to the headphones. Trying to patch things up will usually only be a short term solution and not satisfying in the long run.

I really REALLY agree with this.  Unless the HD800's have some serious gear driving them I feel that there are many far superior choices out there.  However, when they have the right gear backing them they are exceptional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back