The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 5, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #11,851 of 29,017
Classical, acoustic pieces, folk and jazz...all take me to the promised land on the 800. My best recordings made the hair on arms stand up and the very best brought a tear to my eye. Gloriously good. 

Jul 5, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #11,852 of 29,017
OK guys, tell me which track release tests headphone resolution.  Since all are saying the distinctive characteristic of the 800 being the ability resolve, surely you have heard it with a track that shows it's resolving ability.  Why do you think it's resolving?  Is it a particular track used?

What's intersting about resolving phones is that you can listen to the sounds that you though was boring before will sound interesting.  I have Marantz audiophile collection have Jiangzhou drums performance and it's amazin!!!  
eek.gif
  Never thought I would be into percussion.
redface.gif
  Anybody have super detailed percussion tracks?

Jul 5, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #11,853 of 29,017
OK guys, tell me which track release tests headphone resolution.  Since all are saying the distinctive characteristic of the 800 being the ability resolve, surely you have heard it with a track that shows it's resolving ability.  Why do you think it's resolving?  Is it a particular track used?

What's intersting about resolving phones is that you can listen to the sounds that you though was boring before will sound interesting.  I have Marantz audiophile collection have Zhangu drum performance and it's amazin!!!  :eek:   Never though I would be into percussion. :xf_eek:   Anybody have super detailed percussion tracks?

Just because I was listening to them earlier, try some Eagles hotel California or hell freezes over.

Jul 5, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #11,854 of 29,017

This is a favorite tester recording for me. The clarity and dynamics can be amazing. 

Jul 5, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #11,855 of 29,017
I recommend anything from STS Digital, they are mastering gods.  They made the Marantz audiophile tracks, and it's the most detailed tracks I've ever heard. One of my favorite test track that is Eric Clapton unplugged, I just like it because it has lots of different sounds going on around it.  Marantz is many times better though.

Jul 5, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #11,857 of 29,017
  Sweet...just found this. Didn't even know I had it. Never listened to it. Time to cue it up...

There are several in the series, and it changes genres.  My favorite are the ones focused on acoustics, also the horn(you can hear all kinds of horn details, and you thought kind of blue was detailed?), and of course the 2009 one has the Jianzhou drums and all kinds of varieties that sound awsome.  It's amazing to say the least.  Didn't know mastering can be mastered.  
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #11,860 of 29,017
  Okay, cool. I've been wanting to pull the trigger on the hi-res version of Kind of Blue for quite some time. I suppose it's time. 

I can say this.  When I first heard it, I thought it was kinda bland.  This was when I was starting out with low to mid fi. Was clueless why people here were into jazz genre. Then when I finally took a dive to high end that resolves like crazy, I realized why Kind of Blue was special, it's super detailed recording. I have the Japanese remastered.

Jul 5, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #11,861 of 29,017
For anyone who wants some top stuff.
I can Recomend a few.
Red book. Count Basie kansis city shout
On Pablo records.

Next anything g by opus3 DSD downloads.
Also most if anything on acoustic sounds.
Also DSD tea for the Tillerman.
Sad Lisa is a great track to show off your DAC. As it has strings
Piano and multiple voices. If played well it is very good on the hd800.
Also the red book is fantastic in dynamics and very good vocals and percussion
If played well you can hear the brushes on the cymbals. Very cool stuff.
If you do not hear the brushes or it sounds like air hissing
This is the DAC or jitter.
Al

Jul 5, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #11,863 of 29,017
Walkera rs please. That is garbage. The radio is a jr 12x.
The HELI s were a align 250 fly barless.
And the larger one is an Italian Mann it's a protos from the mother land.
And thanks for answering. Very kind.
Al

Jul 5, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #11,865 of 29,017
Silver ears. Post a link please.
Is it avaluble on download
Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back