The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 6, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #11,881 of 29,017
Originally Posted by SilverEars /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I noticed my 8k drop didn't turn out too well.  By dropping 8k, and thus getting rid of the harshness, I'm also getting rid of some details or textures that's not related to the harshness.  The hashness is just really aggressive and forward, but there are also other information in that part of the spectrum that isn't harsh or aggressive that should be there. 

It's perplexing how pop sounds the way it does and the audiophile tracks sound so much different.  The reason why this is perplexing is I have phones that resolve super well and audiophiles track sound very good, and so does pop. I don't think the explanation is as simple as it's bringing out the bad in the recordings.  There is something in the way the headphones's FR is causing certain sounds(some recording has their own frequency characteristics) to not sound well.   It's obviously the headphone's treble characteristics.  The treble definition seems to be dependent on the recording so cannot say it's not defined, it's just certain recordings it's not defined well.

Looks like your issues could be driven by the slight ringing or resonance that HD800 produces above 6kHz. The Anaxilus mod that has been already recommended to you deals specifically with that. I have done it on my pair (it's completely reversible and cheap so why not) and am quite pleased with the result. But you have already discarded this option because you believe flagship headphones should be perfect...

Originally Posted by SilverEars /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is the same BS I have to put up with on the HD800 thread.  They said my DAC isn't good enough, and then my amp.  They said my amp has 0 output impedance and it should have 40??? What??  

Of course, if I find flaws in the headphone, it's my DAC or my Amp.  :rolleyes:  Such a convenient answer.  It is so obvious HD800 is overly bright.  And they say it needs a good amp.  whatever.  So, I should look for rolled off DAC?  Should I look for a tube DAC??  rediculous.

From my experience here, you can sniff some of the BS in the threads. 

A lot of people have been trying to help you in many ways, but it seems you prefer going around the forums whining about it rather than trying to resolve the issue. So far the only real progress you have made was to stop wearing these headphones backwards. If it is all BS to you and you insist that the $20 DAC and a DIY amp is the right setup for one of the most revealing headphones then perhaps the best solution would be to give up and return to whatever you had before?

Jul 6, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #11,884 of 29,017
Done for the 4th time?

I've been done with it, I was going to return it the first hour I listened to it. 
wink.gif
 I can get my other phones to sound great with audiophile recordings.

Jul 6, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #11,885 of 29,017
I've never seen someone taking so much time just to make up his mind about whether he like an item or not...

If I don't like something during the first hour of my experience with it, I wouldn't even bother with it now, would I?
wink_face.gif

Jul 6, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #11,886 of 29,017
  I've never seen someone taking so much time just to make up his mind about whether he like an item or not...

If I don't like something during the first hour of my experience with it, I wouldn't even bother with it now, would I?
wink_face.gif

You're right, I didn't bother with it.  I didn't buy a new DAC or amp or mod it, and I will return it.  Of course the advice here is to keep listening to it until it magically gets better.

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #11,887 of 29,017
  Classical, acoustic pieces, folk and jazz...all take me to the promised land on the 800. My best recordings made the hair on arms stand up and the very best brought a tear to my eye. Gloriously good. 

beerchug.gif

I have not found much in my whole massive library that does not sound awesome, as long as it is a good recording.

I also love the fact that i can play them pretty loud with absolutely no fatigue at all

What's the best way to store the HD800 and prevent dust?

EDIT: It's really annoying that sennheiser doesn't include an 
aluminum case like the T1 case.​

I store mine on my headphone stand, when not in use, with a dust cover over them......which can be a huge plastic freezer bag.  
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #11,888 of 29,017
  I mentioned that the HD800's characteristics reminds me of the K701.   Look at the these, they are very close.

These sound nothing alike to me though. The HD800 easily sounds closer to HD600 than to anything from AKG i have heard.
The fr response does tell about how a headphone sounds, but only about 10% ,in my opinion. 
One look at harmonic distortion components (higher order esp) and CSD-s (or step responses) and the picture
comes closer what they actually sound like.

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #11,889 of 29,017

beerchug.gif

I have not found much in my whole massive library that does not sound awesome, as long as it is a good recording.

I also love the fact that i can play them pretty loud with absolutely no fatigue at all

I store mine on my headphone stand, when not in use, with a dust cover over them......which can be a huge plastic freezer bag.  
biggrin.gif

Looking for a dust cover actually. Whatcha got?

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #11,890 of 29,017
It looks like Headroom have upgraded the setup around HD800 some year ago as seen from 50Hz SQW data. 
I wonder if they changed amp or modified the measuring head. The response is close to a good ortho now, from the graph.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=3&graphID[]=863&graphID[]=4061&graphID[]=703&graphID[]=3431&scale=30

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #11,891 of 29,017
  These sound nothing alike to me though. The HD800 easily sounds closer to HD600 than to anything from AKG i have heard.
The fr response does tell about how a headphone sounds, but only about 10% ,in my opinion. 
One look at harmonic distortion components (higher order esp) and CSD-s (or step responses) and the picture
comes closer what they actually sound like.

I completely agree with this opinion. There's not much similtarity between K701 and HD800. I had HD580 and HD800 at the same time and the two headphones are closer than the K701. The K550 is definitely closer too.

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #11,892 of 29,017

beerchug.gif

biggrin.gif

Looking for a dust cover actually. Whatcha got?

Well, I go old skool Matt.....

I get a whole box of dust covers....for just a couple of dollars  
tongue.gif

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #11,895 of 29,017
I love it ! Zip it up. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back