The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 5, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #11,836 of 29,017
The HD800 is only for hardcore audiophiles that want the truth...good or bad...

True. But unfortunately this sometimes happens..

Hehe but in all seriousness... 5 years in now with these headphones and if there is one word that consistently gets mentioned more than any other adjective- it is..

"Transparency

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #11,837 of 29,017

Quickie or no Quickie?

That's with no quickie...not yet. 
wink.gif
  Got to let my ears get acclimated. Maybe tomorrow. 

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #11,838 of 29,017
Sean Olive has a new article this.  

http://read.uberflip.com/i/324330/22

I brought the nad viso HP50 which fits the Harman curve closely and I didn't like it. Way too much bass. It got in the way of the mid range. IME the HD800 fits my personal taste , to me the HD800 is representing a perfect pair of speakers in a reference ('perfect ') treated room. The Harman curve to my ears represents a non treated room and therefore the bass frequencies are elevated. I can listen to my flat FR speakers in my lounge to achieve that and all the coloration that comes with it. I can understand why some find the HD800 unnatural etc because no one ever gets to hear perfect speakers in a perfect room. It took me a while to get used to it but now I get it and anything else is a compromise .

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #11,839 of 29,017
I brought the nad viso HP50 which fits the Harman curve closely and I didn't like it. Way too much bass. It got in the way of the mid range. IME the HD800 fits my personal taste , to me the HD800 is representing a perfect pair of speakers in a reference ('perfect ') treated room. The Harman curve to my ears represents a non treated room and therefore the bass frequencies are elevated. I can listen to my flat FR speakers in my lounge to achieve that and all the coloration that comes with it. I can understand why some find the HD800 unnatural etc because no one ever gets to hear perfect speakers in a perfect room. It took me a while to get used to it but now I get it and anything else is a compromise .

That's high praise indeed. Just got into my pop selections for the 800. Modest Mouse is brilliant with these. Try "Blame it on the Tetons" if you want to loosen your molars. 

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #11,844 of 29,017
Do I have to wait 5 years for it to burn-in?  :eek:

It took nearly 2 years for my brain to 'burn' in. These have changed the way I hear music. You may never get used to it but I hope you do try to get used to what these headphones are about. If and once you do you won't look back and your perception of sound will change forever. However you may never like it and that's fine. I've never heard the HE6 but I'm sure they are equal in quality but just have different approach to the 'ideal' sound. If you prefer that in the end you will still be getting equal pleasure that we get from HD800. I do hope you persist with them though because I'm glad I did.

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #11,845 of 29,017
Hopefully my ears will adjust as it did with HD650 which took a week.  I was perplexed for a week as it sounded veiled.  The thing is I had the K701 and Beyor 880 with it at the time.  
biggrin.gif
  Which explain why I kept hearing veil with them.  Basically my brain burned in over time.  I kept the 650, and had it for a long time.  It seems I'm more of a 650 guy.  I wonder if Senn will come up with a 850?

It's obvious the 650 doesn't have big sound as the LCD when compared, so I would think it would be the same compared to 800.  So they can improve with better control and wider drivers.  I'm guessing the 800 has bigger drivers than the 600.

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #11,846 of 29,017
I had the 650's for 6 year.. It's hard to adjust to other hp's following those for sure. And look at our new arrival- the lovely MattTCG, a hardcore 650 fan. He's just wet himself with the hd800's bass! 

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #11,847 of 29,017

And now a word from another sponcer.
RC stuff. We cannot just listen to music have sex and eat. Surely there must be something else we can do.

Have fun other ways and the music sounds better later.
And some JOHnney blue too.
Al

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #11,849 of 29,017
Forget the car. Sorry it's in the driveway. Any idea what HELI s they are. Or the remote.
Al

Jul 5, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #11,850 of 29,017
Jezuz.. Thats a big car! towering over those helicopters. (ok I'll shut up now :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back