The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 19, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #10,007 of 28,992
  I know from personal experience the K701 and most Grados are brighter and the Grados are supposed to be the general recommendation for rock/metal, so how does that work when many people consider the HD800's too bright yet brighter phones are recommended!

I've been biting my tongue on that one for a long time.  I just kept waiting to see someone else say it, and there it is, finally.

I simply think people aren't hearing what they expected, the magical audio nirvanaland where everything is perfect and beautiful.  Instead they're hearing all the nastiness that makes metal what it is.

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #10,008 of 28,992
Ok, I found my semi audio nirvana with these cans and they come from a DIY Chinese made transformer coupled tube amp costing no more than $400. Sound is full bodied yet doesn't sacrifice the clarity and details. So called poor metal recordings sound good and tolerable. This could be it.

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #10,010 of 28,992
Just listening to Glen Hansard, Rhythm and Repose. This album is beautifully recorded and sounds incredible on the 800s . Can't recommend it highly enough.

I have the 'Swell Season" and "Strict Joy" album from his duet with Marketa Irglova, I take it Rhythm and Repose is his solo ambul? Would you recommend it to me, or is it very different?

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #10,011 of 28,992
I have the 'Swell Season" and "Strict Joy" album from his duet with Marketa Irglova, I take it Rhythm and Repose is his solo ambul? Would you recommend it to me, or is it very different?

I discovered him through swell season and I love that album. I prefer rhythm and repose though and would highly recommend it to you.

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #10,013 of 28,992
  I have heard this talk that metal is usually mastered poorly and the HD800's were consistently regarded as a no no with such music but I do not feel that is the case.

I personally think that most of the people who talk about badly recorded Rock/Metal - aren't fans. Or only own a dodgy compilation of 'Rock Ballads' haha
rolleyes.gif

It's absurd to say that any genre of music is always badly produced. My beloved Black Crowes albums are all faultless for what they are intended to be, and so are QOTSA for a more modern example. Good bands know how to produce a good sound - no matter who is doing the actual mixing or mastering. For ***** sake how else would you want Led Zep???  

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #10,016 of 28,992
'By your side' is my fave album, but they're all good. 
beerchug.gif

For me they are pure rock n' roll. And are the only band to good enough to challenge the Stones. 

(great with the HD800 of course :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back