The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 9, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #6,169 of 28,989
This is timber:

No no no.  That is " T I I I I I I I I M B E R  ! ! ! ! "  

Yes you are right; my stupid mistake.  But let me ask you this: do you know how "timbre" is pronounced ?   Huh ?  Well, do you?????

Nov 9, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #6,170 of 28,989
Is it correct to say that some headphones have nicer or more enjoyable timbre in the same way as some musical instruments have?

Nov 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #6,172 of 28,989
  i think there is quite a difference between hd800s, there are bright ones, and may i say dark ones as well, with my i didn't experience any brightness, even at pot to the metal, v800 xlr  to v200, see graph in my pics

while the one i auditioned at the local dealer store was quite sparkly, but not harsh, unlike the t1 which is on the harsh side in the peak region, all from v800 v200

i received the hd800 with the "peaky" graph, and must say they sound the same as the "flat" graph one i had (on the same violectric setup, same tracks), which is IMO just a proof that burning em in matters, i most categorically exclude from my experience that different hd800 may sound perceivably different (after a good burn in ofc)
beerchug.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
HD800 crafted to perfection, after 3 hd800 i can do nothing but approve !

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #6,174 of 28,989
Like everything with the HD800-it comes down to the rest of your gear. For instance-on my Dynalo amp, the HD800's timbre sucks. On a Luxman P1u-it's the best I've ever heard. The joys of having such a remarkably transparent/neutral/detailed headphone...

-Daniel

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #6,175 of 28,989
  So, how do you guys find timbre of HD800 in comparison of other headphones' timbre?

I think Sennheiser phones in general are very good at reproducing natural timbre. Especially the HD600 and hd800. Tonality is very important to me and thats why I only own these two headphones these days. Other headphones do somethings better than the Senn's but when it comes to tone/timbre they are the best that I've heard. 

The only thing I would criticize the HD800's in regards to timbre, is that the treble peaks can sometimes pronounce instruments a little more than what is natural. Piano for e'g can sound a little more 'ringy' as the decay of the high keys are highlighted and slightly exaggerated. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but this is where the HD600 are better imo. I think if the HD800's had the same treble frequency response as the 600's they would be the perfect hp. For me anyways..

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #6,176 of 28,989
  Like everything with the HD800-it comes down to the rest of your gear. For instance-on my Dynalo amp, the HD800's timbre sucks. On a Luxman P1u-it's the best I've ever heard. The joys of having such a remarkably transparent/neutral/detailed headphone...

-Daniel

That's interesting, I was more impressed with my now sold GS-1/HD800s than the ZD when I heard them both side by side.

The other thing with a KG amp...if you don't like your DAC, it'll let you know it. The joys of having such a remarkably transparent/neutral/detailed amp. 
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #6,177 of 28,989
  I think Sennheiser phones in general are very good at reproducing natural timbre. Especially the HD600 and hd800. Tonality is very important to me and thats why I only own these two headphones these days. Other headphones do somethings better than the Senn's but when it comes to tone/timbre they are the best that I've heard. 

The only thing I would criticize the HD800's in regards to timbre, is that the treble peaks can sometimes pronounce instruments a little more than what is natural. Piano for e'g can sound a little more 'ringy' as the decay of the high keys are highlighted and slightly exaggerated. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but this is where the HD600 are better imo. I think if the HD800's had the same treble frequency response as the 600's they would be the perfect hp. For me anyways..

-Daniel

This may be the answer. I've auditioned HD-800 on a poor system. I should try them on a better source/amp. Although some people report this 'greyish' timbre of HD800. Would it mean the system is not good enough? I think the only way to check this to try HD800 out myself.

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #6,178 of 28,989

This may be the answer. I've auditioned HD-800 on a poor system. I should try them on a better source/amp. Although some people report this 'greyish' timbre of HD800. Would it mean the system is not good enough? I think the only way to check this to try HD800 out myself.

Absolutely the HD800s would sound better on a better source/dac/amp. They're one of the most transparent headphones out there. The greyish timbre would mean that they don't impart any real colour of their own on the recording. For the most part I agree with this.

The problem with the HD800s is that it's not the cheapest venture when one considers what amp/dac that they need to properly drive them. I used to own the Lyr and it wasn't the greatest combination with them. While I did enjoy it with my (now sold) LCD-2s.

At a minimum, the best amp I've heard with the HD800s was the WA2 or Soloist (for a SS option).

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #6,179 of 28,989
  What do you use to drive your he6? I was thinking of getting the EF6 for audeze and hififman headphones but i would like to listen to hd800 on the ef6 also. Have you heard the ef6 by any chance?

I use aDIY First Watt F5 that I built, with a LDR-based (a.k.a. lightspeed) preamp. I haven't heard the EF6, so I can only speculate.

-Daniel

+1 Agreed, both a blessing and a curse. Blessing for your ears, curse for your wallet 
tongue.gif

That's interesting, I was more impressed with my now sold GS-1/HD800s than the ZD when I heard them both side by side.

The other thing with a KG amp...if you don't like your DAC, it'll let you know it. The joys of having such a remarkably transparent/neutral/detailed amp. 
wink.gif

+1 "Everything matters"

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #6,180 of 28,989
Timbre is simply a function of the amplitude and phase of overtones. These are the criteria that cause your ear to differentiate between an A on a trumpet and an A (in the same octave) played on a piano - or, in a more subtle example - between a realistic sounding note on a piano vs one that sounds badly reproduced. Overtones and harmonics are synonyms ... which is the basis for my reference above to amp topologies and the effect on harmonics. For example, some single ended tube designs tend to have more second order harmonic distortion which is, in modest amounts, often perceived as pleasing, filling out the sound. As a stark contrast, some ss designs use heavy global feedback to reduce noise and output impedance, but this can, depending on implementation, create disproportionate high order distortion which alters timbre in a far less pleasing way.

This is a long winded way of saying I agree with those above who assert that the selection of your source and amp is of considerable importance in getting pleasing FR and timbre from hd800s, particularly given their 6k peak which is right in the range that will effect easily audible low order harmonics.

It is a function of careful selection not dollars spent. Find an opportunity to try the hd800s with a bh crack with speedball and an odac (or any other competent cheap dac) for example. Half the cost of a WA2 and a much much better match to my ears (and many others it would seem per the crack thread).

Presently waiting on a replacement transistor to complete my bh mainline. While objectively a far better amp, I am very curious to see if I ultimately prefer it to my crack on the overall subjective scale of enjoyability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back