The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 9, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #6,151 of 28,989
  which is?

For me, it is the HE-6. There's enough transparency there for everything but the most critical listening sessions, which i don't do all day and would only choose HD-800 if it were part of my profession. Therefore, I can advance to the greater ebb and flow of the HE-6. That's why it would be my island headphone.

Nov 9, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #6,152 of 28,989
  Usual Disclaimer: All IMO.

The HD-800s were designed purposefully this way, it's a studio headphone.

Bollocks, "reference" (well according to Sennheiser, "natural listening experience"..) != "studio"

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/headphones/studio

Those are "studio" phones. HD800 was never marketed as such.

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #6,153 of 28,989
  For me, it is the HE-6. There's enough transparency there for everything but the most critical listening sessions, which i don't do all day and would only choose HD-800 if it were part of my profession. Therefore, I can advance to the greater ebb and flow of the HE-6. That's why it would be my island headphone.

You'd have to take some heavy gear to the island to run the HE-6. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #6,154 of 28,989
Nov 9, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #6,155 of 28,989

Bollocks, "reference" (well according to Sennheiser, "natural listening experience"..) != "studio"

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/headphones/studio

Those are "studio" phones. HD800 was never marketed as such.

Ahh yes, you are correct. However there are plenty of people using it in a studio environment. I should have used a different operative.

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #6,156 of 28,989
could you clarify what you mean by "colors of sound"? that's not exactly common parlance around here.

hd800s have the fastest most detailed dynamic transducers ever made. I can't identify with the analogy to "grey." If anything, with certain source material, I would argue that they can sound too vivid to be enjoyable with certain amps subject to the topology and handling of high order harmonics.

"Colors of sounds"...let's say one piano, like Steinway can play the same note as the other piano, but it can do it in a nicer way.

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #6,158 of 28,989
could you clarify what you mean by "colors of sound"? that's not exactly common parlance around here.

hd800s have the fastest most detailed dynamic transducers ever made. I can't identify with the analogy to "grey." If anything, with certain source material, I would argue that they can sound too vivid to be enjoyable with certain amps subject to the topology and handling of high order harmonics.

Thanks to the ring radiator . Sometime  i think whether it is the same technology used  in ring radiator tweeter by scanspeak.
  The treble  sounded quite similar to my hearing

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #6,159 of 28,989
I know the HD800 would be my island headphones. For my tastes is hits all the right buttons. Plus it is so comfortable. I have worn it for hours and you forget they are on your head. In a pinch I could survive with the HD650's too.

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #6,160 of 28,989
  I know the HD800 would be my island headphones. For my tastes is hits all the right buttons. Plus it is so comfortable. I have worn it for hours and you forget they are on your head. In a pinch I could survive with the HD650's too.

They are very comfortable, I agree. HifiMan and Audeze should take notes!

Nov 9, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #6,161 of 28,989

What do you use to drive your he6? I was thinking of getting the EF6 for audeze and hififman headphones but i would like to listen to hd800 on the ef6 also. Have you heard the ef6 by any chance?

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #6,162 of 28,989
Originally Posted by korzena
Some people claim HD800 have 'grey' sound...

"Colors of sounds"...let's say one piano, like Steinway can play the same note as the other piano, but it can do it in a nicer way.

Originally Posted by kamalz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

.. In other words, the sound should more engaging to the listener, i think..
wink_face.gif

This is m  first  accomplishment before stepping to another level. 

"more engaging"....yes! And more enjoyable to ones' ears.

At the time of auditioning HD800, I had a chance to listen to other flagships, too, and the "sounds' colors" in Ultrasone E10, Denon D7000 or Audio-Technica W5000 were richer, more 'colorful'.
In HD800 I liked almost everything except for these "sounds' colors" which appeared to me 'greyish'. And this would be my main objection in making the decision to buy these headphones.

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #6,163 of 28,989

This is `timber`, no? 

Also, on another, recent topic: the HD800s are too fragile for studio use IMO.  Studio gear needs to be indestructible and while I love my 800s,  I`m always super careful with them.  I hate touching the mesh...  And lots of people complain about paint chipping, though I treat mine like a newborn infant so no problems there, yet.  

+1 on them being freakishly comfortable.

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #6,164 of 28,989

It has been a while since I have spent literally all day listening to the HD800. Without a doubt it is an excellent pair of Headphones.

For me, powered by the Cavalli LAu is the best that I have ever heard my pair of HD800. The Lau has really taken the HD800 to new heights of performance..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back