The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jun 7, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #3,166 of 29,005
Quote:
+1 for Fidelizer.

It works. Simple as that. The effect is indeed much bigger on the Modi. I have both the Modi and the Concero. I appreciate you spreading the word about Fidelizer. It seriously changed my mind about how inadequate my laptop is in stock form. Going off memory. Fidelizer + Modi sounds better than my Bifrost ever did. (non-Uber and not using Fidelizer at the time, when I owned it). I'm wondering how the Uber would sound with the Fidelizer as well, but perhaps the dramatic effect won't happen, kind of like the Concero.

It's a free program, so people can try it without much risk. I'm using Foobar + Wasapi plug-in + Fidelizer, and I have a huge smile on my face right now.
beerchug.gif

Nice one guys, giving it a go now 
size]

Jun 8, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #3,167 of 29,005
How come no people talk about HD800 pairing with EarMax Pro Silver Edition OTL tube amp... Does anyone try them before? 

confused.gif

Jun 8, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #3,168 of 29,005
Quote:
So, I have a DA-160 DAC from Burson which I use with my Soloist amplifier (Burson), and with a Schiit Lyr now and then as well. My main headphones are the Sennhseiser HD800.

I am happy with the setup as it is, I'm really inclined to change my DAC for something newer, something that can retrieve more micro-detail and is more spatial than the DA-160. My main headphone is the HD-800 and I usually use it with the Soloist. Usually, I listen to Jazz (Dave Brubeck, Charlie Parker, Keith Jarret...), and classic rock'n'roll (think Velvet Underground, Mutantes, Beatles, etc.).

NOW: The IMPORTANT bit is... I'd like your suggestions on a new DAC for me that goes well with my setup and music style, BUT its maximum cost has to be BELLOW USD$1'000.00, please.

Also, since I live in Brazil, I'd love if you put links where I can buy the suggest DAC (the DAC producer or seller must ship worldwide, obviously)

TL/DR: Please, I need a good DAC recommendation for my HD800 (to be used with Burson Soloist, as hp-amp). I'd like something cheaper than USD$1'000.00, please

Thank you, so very much!!

Go for Yulong D18... negative is no USB port only.

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #3,169 of 29,005
So I still dig the HD800 but this morning decided to play around some with JRiver's PEQ and so far I can say that the HD800 seems to respond well to it.  Usually when I use an EQ the can kind of falls apart, not so this time out.  Nothing massive just took out the 6KHz peak and bumped the bottom to be flat to 20Hz from 100Hz.  Probably drop the boost since the %THD rises in the bass already as is.

Also mimicked the SR-009 response and really don't dig the 1KHz boost.  Things pop more but long term it's a little fatiguing, at least on the HD800.

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #3,170 of 29,005
OMG... 

Today i just notice that my NFB10SE is actually acting as a pre-amp + dac when i turn them on... which i am still able to control the volume up and down after i connected to tube amp. If i on the NFB10SE without activate the volume button (which is just showing blinking blue screen), the NFB10SE is working as dac only. There is an effect on HD800 sound qulity where i feel that the sound is slightly brighter, thin, less texture and bass lighter if the NFB10SE acting as dac compare to thicker, warmer, more texture, and bass after i turn on the volume button on NFB10SE.

So cool... 

Jun 9, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #3,171 of 29,005
lol I just downloaded it, so far I like it.  Fidelizer

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #3,173 of 29,005
+1 for Fidelizer. For the next level, try this: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/iso-usb-key-installer-preconfigured-and-stripped-down-audiophile-version-windows-8-pro-including-jriver-and-foobar-14390/

It is a stripped down version of Windows 8 (you'll need a license key - so not a pirate copy). Windows 8 barebones + Fidelizer + JPlay in hibernate mode.

Worth a try - I certainly like it. (I bought a Lenovo Q190 on sale, which I dedicate for audio use now)

Jun 9, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #3,174 of 29,005
+2 for fidelizer

i cant believe how detailed the hd800 is now

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #3,175 of 29,005
Info needed..

Can someone tell me what EXACTLY "Fidelizer" does to improve the sound?  I can disable lots of Windows services myself.  So what does this do that's any different.  Also how does it improve on already bit-perfect data?

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #3,176 of 29,005
Good question. I think there are processes that go on even though you have closed all other active programs apart from media player. Now whether this is healthy for your computer to stop these I'm not sure. 

I suppose that the media player (like any program) will run smoother if it has all RAM and attention focused on it. But as you say how can this improve on already bit perfect data? The Media player still plays a role in giving the data out. And it may be the case that the more power it has - the faster smoother this data is channelled. It may well be bit perfect to begin with but if your computer is sweating with dealing with too much it may well ***k it up before it leaves haha! 

Thats me being devils ad :)

Now. I've tried it and it seems to work, could swear that I'm getting more detail... :/ But it keeps crashing Foobar (on Windows 7) when I use the 'audiophile' option. Then I have to switch my pc off and back on. The Audiophile option works fine on my other pc with Vista.

Dunno.... But I'd be surprised if any change would be noticeable without the HD800's :D 

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #3,179 of 29,005
Quote:
Info needed..

Can someone tell me what EXACTLY "Fidelizer" does to improve the sound?  I can disable lots of Windows services myself.  So what does this do that's any different.  Also how does it improve on already bit-perfect data?

I also don't see what this offers. Unless it's the automatic convenience off having system resources free'd up, etc.
Which you can do on your own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back