The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jun 9, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #3,182 of 28,992
I have a Benchmark DAC I that I use to drive my HD800, I wonder if I can drive these headphones from the rear XLR outputs. According to my understanding these are not amplified right? or is this possible? 

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #3,184 of 28,992
Quote:
I have a Benchmark DAC I that I use to drive my HD800, I wonder if I can drive these headphones from the rear XLR outputs. According to my understanding these are not amplified right? or is this possible? 

I wouldn't advise it. Your dac will have a set output voltage/current and this maybe too high for your headphones. Amplifiers have resistors for headphones.    

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #3,185 of 28,992
Quote:
I wouldn't advise it. Your dac will have a set output voltage/current and this maybe too high for your headphones. Amplifiers have resistors for headphones.    

Not even sure where to begin.  Will simply say, no, just no.

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #3,186 of 28,992
Jun 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #3,187 of 28,992
Quote:

Not even sure where to begin.  Will simply say, no, just no.

Fair enough 
size]

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #3,188 of 28,992
Quote:
Info needed..

Can someone tell me what EXACTLY "Fidelizer" does to improve the sound?  I can disable lots of Windows services myself.  So what does this do that's any different.  Also how does it improve on already bit-perfect data?

I've been reading the description, and it just seem to disable unnecessary services for playing music. You must seriously not trust your pc for doing this.

Jun 9, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #3,189 of 28,992
Quote:
I've been reading the description, and it just seem to disable unnecessary services for playing music. You must seriously not trust your pc for doing this.

Well, it's not just disabling system services, that's easy to do.  It goes more into depth into re-prioritizing system threading for audio priority.  This could be more dramatic for me also since I use a USB network card and it's likely stealing bandwidth from the USB bus and causing plenty of bit-errors before the "bit-perfect" bits ever leaving the computer.  I actually recently dug out my old 2008 Macbook pro and considering making it a dedicated music computer but it's stuck with OSX 10.5.8 and I'd have to call Apple to order a Snow Leopard DVD.  Here is some copied text from Fidelizer's website that explains a little better:

What does Fidelizer do in optimizing threads, I/O and random stuff like priorities and resources scheduling? Are they just made up for placebo effects?
-Since Windows Vista, Microsoft introduced Multimedia Class Scheduler for thread and I/O priority optimization for processor resource scheduling. Most dedicated audio/video applications will benefit from this and it also affect overall system/network performance too. Default configuration are quite terribly optimized and not enough people going to take this feature serious enough to findout how I can get better sound through this. Fidelizer will do it for you without affecting real configuration so everything will still work fine after system restart.

I saw system thread priorities and clock resolution in another option. Aren’t they the same to ones in resource scheduler?
-Although Microsoft made pretty good resource management  tool like that. However, it couldn’t controll the whole system down to specific process and thread. This program will do additional works to ensure best sound reproduction with lowest possible latency in software and hardware I/O which can loosen up the continuity of bit-stream though it’s performing bit-perfect. It’ll enforce audio thread to highest level possible and reduce non-important processes and threads to lowest possible level for more throughput to audio thread. It also adjusts system clock resolution (NT Timer) down to lowest possible level for most accurate timing reference to improve stability of audio playback at lower latency.

I use DPC Latency Checker but Fidelizer doesn’t improve system latency at all. Isn’t it scam?
-Graph in system latency shows latency of hardware I/O meaning you’re checking hardware latency. Fidelizer will decrease software latency in operating system so DPC Latency Checker isn’t capable of checking software latency. You need to test it with other methods. If you want to decrease hardware latency in DPC Latency Checker, try disabling drivers like networking for example.

If DPC Latency Checker is out of the game, how can I measure the difference in scientific way then?
-You’d need high quality hardware and intensive measurement methods to make clear cut. Let’s just believe in Microsoft that they didn’t make stuff like Multimedia Class Scheduler just to fool pro audio market. If you’re really desperate to do so, just try it with your ears, if you’re unsatisfied or can’t hear the difference, just delete it since it won’t cause any changes to your system anyway.

Features
-Stop most system services leaving only audio-related ones
-Optimize audio thread, I/O priorities, clock rate in resource scheduler
-Optimize process thread priorities and system clock resolution
-Configure Fidelizer to run automatically on system startup

That's as much as I'll go into that so I'm not further derailing thread.  If anyone wants I can start a new thread on the topic.

Jun 9, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #3,190 of 28,992
Quote:
Well, it's not just disabling system services, that's easy to do.  It goes more into depth into re-prioritizing system threading for audio priority.  This could be more dramatic for me also since I use a USB network card and it's likely stealing bandwidth from the USB bus and causing plenty of bit-errors before the "bit-perfect" bits ever leaving the computer. 

As much dubious.

Jun 9, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #3,191 of 28,992
Quote:
Sounds like vaporware to me. The bits are either there or not AFAIK.

My FLAC files are indistinguishable from the original CD in direct comparison, so how can anything make my FLAC files sound "better?"

You're actually misusing the term vaporware.  Vaporware refers to a product that's rumored/expected for a long time but never delivered.  A functional and available product can't really be vaporware.  It can be hogwash, but a worthless product doesn't make it vaporware.

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #3,194 of 28,992
I have been listening to music through my IEMs today and noticed that vocals are located dead center between my ears, however with
my HD800 I notice vocals shifted to the right channel. I cant´s seem to get the left driver to shoot directly to my left ear and am constantly
fiddling with the position. Anybody else have this issue that can offer advice.

Thanks, Riq

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #3,195 of 28,992
Quote:
I have been listening to music through my IEMs today and noticed that vocals are located dead center between my ears, however with
my HD800 I notice vocals shifted to the right channel. I cant´s seem to get the left driver to shoot directly to my left ear and am constantly
fiddling with the position. Anybody else have this issue that can offer advice.

Thanks, Riq

Could it be possible that imaging is so good on the HD 800 that the vocals are actually supposed to be right from centre? IEMs aren't exactly the best with soundstage/imaging....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back