The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jun 10, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #3,196 of 28,992
Quote:
I have been listening to music through my IEMs today and noticed that vocals are located dead center between my ears, however with
my HD800 I notice vocals shifted to the right channel.

Try on a solid state amp if not already doing so,try another song or verify with a dB metre but that is driver mismatch.  New pair?

Jun 10, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #3,197 of 28,992
Quote:
I have been listening to music through my IEMs today and noticed that vocals are located dead center between my ears, however with
my HD800 I notice vocals shifted to the right channel. I cant´s seem to get the left driver to shoot directly to my left ear and am constantly
fiddling with the position. Anybody else have this issue that can offer advice.

Thanks, Riq

Try different songs. It could be just that one song. I doubt that Sennheiser HD800 could have a driver mismatch as each headphone is tested individually before it leaves the factory. It might be also a problem with your amplifier as stated above. I have had problems with driver mismatch with Hifiman HE500 where you could really see that one driver was louder than the other. 

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #3,199 of 28,992
Quote:
my HD800 I notice vocals shifted to the right channel. I cant´s seem to get the left driver to shoot directly to my left ear and am constantly
fiddling with the position. Anybody else have this issue that can offer advice.

Thanks, Riq

I would use some right / left / center test tones. Check http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_stereo.php for instance.

Jun 10, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #3,200 of 28,992
Could it be possible that imaging is so good on the HD 800 that the vocals are actually supposed to be right from centre? IEMs aren't exactly the best with soundstage/imaging....

Actually, in my experience they usually destroy full size headphones in imaging and soundstage realism. HD800 is one of few full sizers that nearly close the gap, but are still not quite as good.

Jun 10, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #3,201 of 28,992
Quote:
Actually, in my experience they usually destroy full size headphones in imaging and soundstage realism. HD800 is one of few full sizers that nearly close the gap, but are still not quite as good.

I agree with Max, full size headphones don´t hold a candle to good IEM´s soundstaging

Jun 10, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #3,202 of 28,992
What IEM's are you thinking of? imo many IEM's don't have "out of head" soundstage. HD-800 does this well to me. I also experience center stage shift to the right sometimes. I believe it is mostly because how the music is mixed. Sometimes bass is in the center and the vocals a little to the right and sometimes the opposite. Read somewhere that it's done that way so that bass doesn't interfere with vocals - makes sense.

Some amps can have channel imbalance at lower volumes.

Jun 10, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #3,203 of 28,992
You're both high :p  I've never had an IEM with pinpoint imaging like the HD800 nevermind the shoulder check for what sounds like something not coming from the headphone.  IEMs because of the isolation have good left to right tracking but no depth or height.

Jun 10, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #3,204 of 28,992
Quote:
You're both high :p  I've never had an IEM with pinpoint imaging like the HD800 nevermind the shoulder check for what sounds like something not coming from the headphone.  IEMs because of the isolation have good left to right tracking but no depth or height.

bigsmile_face.gif
lmao

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #3,205 of 28,992
Quote:

No, just no. You're not high enough. 
etysmile.gif

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #3,206 of 28,992
Quote:

+1, IEMs cannot rival full-sized headphones (HD800) in both sound stage and height especially.

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #3,210 of 28,992
The AKG K3003 was pretty remarkable for its "out of head" quality when I tried it, but no other IEM I have ever heard comes close to a circumaural headphone for soundstage width and depth. Just as headphones dont come close to loudspeakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back