The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #26,431 of 28,989
Doesn't really answer my question but thanks for your lucid insight.
Yes it doesn't really answer your question, but I've yet to hear a headphone cable make a sonic change in any headphone unless there was something wrong with the cable. If you want sonic improvements/changes I feel that funds are better spent on tubes (if you have a tube amp), better quality music, an amp that pairs better with the HD800, a different DAC, or another headphone.

Jan 16, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #26,432 of 28,989
Just received my Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin pads the comfort and clamp is amazing now and it feels much better with eyeglasses on also.

I do notice a bass increase and some increase in space imaging is better too so it seems it works.

DNB and Dubstep type of music sounds much better with the added bass, before the dekoni pads i usually switched to my Beyer T1 for that type of music.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #26,433 of 28,989
Just got to try my friend's SDR modded HD800. I much preferred it than the Utopia. The soundstage and separation made it sound as clear as the Utopia. I got HE1000 V2 coming this weekend. I have to decide if I even want to open it. The HD800 is also crazy comfortable.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #26,436 of 28,989
The HEX v2 definitely felt inferior to the HD800 when I had it. Noticeably worse resolution, midbass/midrange felt thinner/recessed & staging was obviously not as wide. It had the HD800 beat in the lows, but not by much.
The HE1000 V1 with V2 eapads was the closest to dethroning the HD800, but in the end I kept the HD800.
I just couldn't get over the softness of the HE1000 in comparison to the HD800. Even though maybe buying silver headphone cables might have reminded that.

The HEK had a wide stage, at first I thought they were just as wide as the HD800, but after A/B comparisons it's noticeable that the HD800 is wider.
Mids felt a little bit more recessed or hazy by a thinny bit, though midbass was noticeably thicker & holographic.
Sub bass on the HEK was actually worse from what I remember on the HEX.
Resolution was on par, but there was a slowness & softness to the transients that I couldn't get past.

I wish I still had the HE1000, they sounded great, but I think I made the right choice (given the price of the HEK) by sticking with the HD800.

Yes it took me a long time to decide and lots and lots of comparing. I found that comparing them is hard as they are very differently tuned. So yes, instant wow with the HD800 soundstage. But also instant What? are they doing to brass instruments haha. On the other foot, the HEX sound noticeably warmer and narrower. But when you give them each enough time that's when you find which is better for you personally. I find that the HEX are much MUCH faster and neutral sounding (apart from) the warmth that is added colour at the bottom and there is a slight roll off at the top :) The HD800 are the opposite of this. But in all honesty I find the HD800 the more colored and artificial sounding. The timbre of instruments sound sooo life-like on the hifiman's. I also like the way they deal with complex music, I never seem to hear smearing. The HD800's treble for me seems to take your attention away from the mids at times. They also seem to miss a lot of lower treble information in comparison. Choral music will never sound better or more impressive than with the HD800 and the huge canvas given to the singers. But at the same time, I actually here more detail and texture - realism with the HEX, albeit with a smaller stage. Pros and cons..

I mostly listen to classical music and the HD800/HD600 have been good ole reliable friends for me for a very long time (especially the HD600). Incidentally, I consider the HEX to be very much in line with the HD600's tuning, only without the little 4k peak. But with added sub-bass and larger soundstage. To me, that's a recipe for pleasing a lot of head-fiers.

Must stress. I've never owned a high end amp with the HD800. I found my love with vintage amps and thought they paired very well. I've still owned some decent headphone amps with them but nothing that I would consider high end.

I also must stress, I'm only negating the HD800 for comparison purposes. Never for annoying anyone - its still my favourite headphone ever! Based on how long I've owned it and the pleasure it has given me.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #26,437 of 28,989
I had an HE 4 for EVER! I was quite content with it, the HEX V1 didn't quite impress me when I heard it a few years back... badly designed and the tuning was less than ideal

Non the less I have a soft spot for Hifiman! Happy to hear the V2 swayed you over, what was teh biggest differance

The biggest difference as mentioned in my post above is the realism and timbre of instruments. Also the speed and control of complex music. I've owned the HD800 twice, the HD600 3 times and the HD650 3 times haha Keep going back to them...
I've owned the Hifiman HE500, HE400i (still have these) and now the HEX. Love both manufacturers. I also own the classic LCD2.1 but it spends most of its time as an ornament... looks the part! but its not even as good as the HE400i IMHO. Cheers :)

Jan 19, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #26,439 of 28,989
Is it easy to swap out the stock pads for Dekoni, if so, how to do please? Also, is the Dekoni pad mod intended to be instread of SDR or as well as SDR? Anybody done both?
Very much so.

Jan 20, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #26,441 of 28,989
I'm trying to decide between HD800, HD800s or HE1000 v2. I have spend the past 2 days listening to my friend's SDR modded HD800. It's absolutely perfect in terms of sound signature driven by Woo WA8. The bass may lack some extension and punch, but I'm perfectly ok with it. I assume HD800s sounds very similar right? I guess if there is any point to spend a few hundred bucks for HD800s. Tomorrow HEK comes in. It will be tough to decide. I may not even open the HEK since it's more than 2x the cost of the HD800. Not sure if I will like it 2x as much.

Jan 21, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #26,442 of 28,989
Just received my Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin pads the comfort and clamp is amazing now and it feels much better with eyeglasses on also.

I do notice a bass increase and some increase in space imaging is better too so it seems it works.

DNB and Dubstep type of music sounds much better with the added bass, before the dekoni pads i usually switched to my Beyer T1 for that type of music.

Thanks for your impressions. Do you notice any reduction in the 6khz peak, as claimed on Dekoni's graphs? (and are you using SDR mod please?)

Jan 21, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #26,444 of 28,989
Thanks. I am actually really seriously considering purchasing HD800 for the 3rd time, having bought and sold twice. Am I mad?

Ha, I think I have done this with the HD650.

The HD800 is a wonderful headphone...I would bet that you will keep it with your new amp :)

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #26,445 of 28,989
Here's my final configuration - still might need a little more tweaking but strikes a good balance between warmth and detail with SDR Modded 800's:
Valhalla 2 w/ JJ Gold Pins, Mimby (to be upgraded to Gumby) and EqualizerAPO settings as follows:

Current EQ Preset (Updated 11/29/2017):
Channel: all
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 200 Hz Gain -0.5 dB Q 1.41
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 2000 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 1.41
Filter 14: ON PK Fc 13000 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 2

I'd tweak the Q values if you want less mids and overlaying warmth but this really cuts out the sharp sword like S's on some treble compensated songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back