The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #26,446 of 28,989
Does anybody know the cheapest place at present in the EU to buy new and unused HD800 (but I'm not particularly needing warranty as I will mod anyway), I just want new and unused. I'm looking on Ebay as there are usually 'grey' market sellers but nothing at all at the moment. Anywhere else? Thanks!

Jan 30, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #26,448 of 28,989
20180130_180727-01.jpeg

Picked up my cables from the post office today, wow! @teds headfood excellent work man!!! I personally like a sheathing on my cables but these are sooooo prettty... soo pretty. Way prettier than in person so I'll enjoy it as is

As for sound, I thought things would be too bright with silver on the HD 800 but that's not been the case at all there's an immediate sense of clarity that wasn't there before... and dare a say a bit more aggression! For some of you that might be a bad thing, for me... I found the HD 800 stock to be... almost too slow. The SDR mod didn't help as the 6k peak created a sense of psudeo speed, but the mod did improve the resolve. This cable was however just what I felt the HD 800 needed, the decay is every big as magical as before, the resolve is better, the speed is improved! Everything's just that much clearer, EVEN better

Also funny, my Project Ember II is set to bypass the input caps and cathode's as I found that to lessen what was a harder top end. Apparently if you do so the vol pot can introduce some noise, well with the HD 800 stock cable it was silent. Now how ever there's just a little bit of scratch when I adjust the knob! Which I was warned about/expected so it's nice to see the silver cable helped reveal even that! All in all I'm quite happy with it, I'll have a comparison of the two sonically here shortly as I'm sure other's of you will also be curious which way to go

Jan 31, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #26,450 of 28,989
Does anybody know the cheapest place at present in the EU to buy new and unused HD800 (but I'm not particularly needing warranty as I will mod anyway), I just want new and unused. I'm looking on Ebay as there are usually 'grey' market sellers but nothing at all at the moment. Anywhere else? Thanks!

I just snapped up a new pair on Amazon for 1099.00

Joe

Jan 31, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #26,451 of 28,989
I just snapped up a new pair on Amazon for 1099.00

Joe

ooooh go you!

And you likely know this already, but your in for a treat! Slap your Ember II into 32R out and enjoy man!!!

Jan 31, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #26,452 of 28,989
Yep they are my 2nd pair..............as a side 2 days after purchase on Amazon I found a seller on Audiogon (His username is NAX) he described the cans as " Like new, Open Box, Warranty Dealer" for 699.00 I almost S#$T 100% positive feedback I said hell Yea. Bought them instantly

Delivered today :frowning2: Early serial 5119 at least 5 years old, ear pads are completely shot, paint chips, dent in the rear screen cover, obviously Sennheiser wont warranty them. Sellers excuse well the price BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. If you are unhappy you can return them what a PITA I can not understand a seller that thinks the offer to accept a return equals everything is ok

The only good thing on them is they play music and do sound like i remember from a couple years ago.........................I am already thinking new pads.

Jan 31, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #26,453 of 28,989
Yep they are my 2nd pair..............as a side 2 days after purchase on Amazon I found a seller on Audiogon (His username is NAX) he described the cans as " Like new, Open Box, Warranty Dealer" for 699.00 I almost S#$T 100% positive feedback I said hell Yea. Bought them instantly

Delivered today :frowning2: Early serial 5119 at least 5 years old, ear pads are completely shot, paint chips, dent in the rear screen cover, obviously Sennheiser wont warranty them. Sellers excuse well the price BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. If you are unhappy you can return them what a PITA I can not understand a seller that thinks the offer to accept a return equals everything is ok

The only good thing on them is they play music and do sound like i remember from a couple years ago.........................I am already thinking new pads.

boooo, shame on him :/ happy he accepted a return, but I hear mixed things about AudioGon sellers... though I am my self a seller there but I only use their payment platform and advertise here

Here's to hoping this next one is the one!!!!

Feb 1, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #26,456 of 28,989
Hello,

I'm able to get a pair of used HD800 for about 350 Euro (no box incl.). Problem is that they'll probably need a headband and an ear pads replacements, cause on the photos the whole headphones are covered in small black dots (most probably coming fro the headband which is peeling off strongly). What I'd like to know is, do I definitely need to buy original replacements, or there's a possibility to get cheaper ones, but without compromising on comfort and sound quality?

Also, is there some sort of timetable that shows an approximate date of manufacturing based on their serial number? The ones I'm talking about are with a S/N of 08xxx, so I guess they are pretty old...

And in general what should I look for when buying a used HD800 pair (e.g. how to check if they have been opened up for modding or have been repaired)?

Thank you in advance!

P.S. What do you think about the price given the fact they are not in that good of a cosmetical condition?

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #26,457 of 28,989
boooo, shame on him :/ happy he accepted a return, but I hear mixed things about AudioGon sellers... though I am my self a seller there but I only use their payment platform and advertise here

Here's to hoping this next one is the one!!!!

I wont send them back unless he buys them back IOW he must pay for them B-4 I ship them. (I follow a simple rule fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me) IMHO he has already proven un-trustworthy

Sat back and listened for a few hours last night. and other than the poor comfort , and sound loss due to worn out pads I was pretty happy. J-River > modded MHDT Havana > Ampsandsound SE84 > HD800 = :)

Now I must decide do I invest the time and money in the older cans or list them HONESTLY for condition and try to recoup most of my $$$$ while keeping the new Amazon pair. Decisions, Decisions :)kissing: I would really like to keep both but dont tell the :dress:)

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #26,459 of 28,989
Do you have links to the mods ? I am on a budget so will need to see how much $$$$$$$$ the mods cost.......................Good idea though (why didn't I think of it :deadhorse: )

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #26,460 of 28,989
Hello,

I'm able to get a pair of used HD800 for about 350 Euro (no box incl.). Problem is that they'll probably need a headband and an ear pads replacements, cause on the photos the whole headphones are covered in small black dots (most probably coming fro the headband which is peeling off strongly). What I'd like to know is, do I definitely need to buy original replacements, or there's a possibility to get cheaper ones, but without compromising on comfort and sound quality?

Also, is there some sort of timetable that shows an approximate date of manufacturing based on their serial number? The ones I'm talking about are with a S/N of 08xxx, so I guess they are pretty old...

And in general what should I look for when buying a used HD800 pair (e.g. how to check if they have been opened up for modding or have been repaired)?

Thank you in advance!

P.S. What do you think about the price given the fact they are not in that good of a cosmetical condition?

Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back