The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 8, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #26,026 of 28,989
Jul 8, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #26,027 of 28,989
IMG_9768.JPG
Can you show us some pictures of fake connectors/Cables? Because the sennhesier cables kind of sucks.

These are not fake.... lol... had to edit this... Here is one I just bought

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #26,028 of 28,989
I too love my HD800 and its companion, the HDVD800.

Of course, when I was new on head-fi.org, my interaction with the HD800 was not always ducky...

evicted.png

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #26,029 of 28,989
I have to agree with you both here. I am using the paired HDVD800 amp with the HD800 and it is truly amazing. I would tend to agree if you want more bass get a different amp. The HD800 is just amazingly non-forgiving and very analytic. However, Soundstage and everything you list here is spot on. I've never heard another headphone like the HD800.

Agree fully with you. Love my HD800 with Yggdrasil and Euforia. Have ordered the Ragnarok. I've already audition Yggdrasil and Ragnarok using HD800 stock. It sounded very good. Being a tube amp lover, I can even love the Schitt combination.

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #26,030 of 28,989
Agree fully with you. Love my HD800 with Yggdrasil and Euforia. Have ordered the Ragnarok. I've already audition Yggdrasil and Ragnarok using HD800 stock. It sounded very good. Being a tube amp lover, I can even love the Schitt combination.

wow...would love to try all of those...

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #26,032 of 28,989
Does anyone know where i can purchase the black plastic part that the headband/slider sits on? The right part where the slider with the little metal ball sits on was very loose i tried fixing it but it seems the metal bit wasn't the problem but the plastic as it has fallen off there.

Jul 19, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #26,033 of 28,989
You can order any part from Sennheiser directly.

JJ

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #26,034 of 28,989
I received my HD800 today!

HD800 01.jpg

Bought them used off Head-Fi. Old, and worn in, but damn beautiful, and supremely comfortable.

I'm always looking for warm and sort of bassy headphones. But I got to hear the HD800 for the first time a couple of months back, and knew it would be a great compliment to my usual gear. Something different, you know?

Using a balanced Cardas cable going into my Audio-GD NFB-28 (2016 edition), and I'm quite taken with the sound. All my fears of this setup being too bright have vanished. It's splendid!

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #26,035 of 28,989
I received my HD800 today!

Bought them used off Head-Fi. Old, and worn in, but damn beautiful, and supremely comfortable.

I'm always looking for warm and sort of bassy headphones. But I got to hear the HD800 for the first time a couple of months back, and knew it would be a great compliment to my usual gear. Something different, you know?

Using a balanced Cardas cable going into my Audio-GD NFB-28 (2016 edition), and I'm quite taken with the sound. All my fears of this setup being too bright have vanished. It's splendid!

Congrats, they are great cans and they scale to greater heights when you get a gear upgrade.....mine has and I find myself re-ripping some cd's to flac in a lesser compressed flac file.

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #26,036 of 28,989
First time I've heard someone say splendid in a while.

Planning to get a bluray/dvd/*cd* player specifically to get coax and remove my computer from my chain, it's the only way to go.

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #26,037 of 28,989
Jul 21, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #26,038 of 28,989
I recently also came into a great deal on a well loved pair of HD800's. The pads were so nasty I had to replace them. I have since installed the SDR mod. Not sure I like it yet as it seems to have tamed the treble a bit too much. Waiting on a Draug 2 cable from Trevor before making the final call. They are really tremendous headphones and nearly have the resolution of my Stax L700. When using my iFi Pro iCan as a preamp to the Decware Taboo Mk. III they just sound incredible. They benefit significantly from the X-Bass control on the Pro iCAN as it allows one to dial up the bass volume in a very pleasing way. They may become my keeper open-back dynamic driver headphones. They are supremely comfortable also and I find no sign of the brightness that has always scared me off them based on reviews.

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #26,039 of 28,989
I recently also came into a great deal on a well loved pair of HD800's. The pads were so nasty I had to replace them. I have since installed the SDR mod. Not sure I like it yet as it seems to have tamed the treble a bit too much. Waiting on a Draug 2 cable from Trevor before making the final call. They are really tremendous headphones and nearly have the resolution of my Stax L700. When using my iFi Pro iCan as a preamp to the Decware Taboo Mk. III they just sound incredible. They benefit significantly from the X-Bass control on the Pro iCAN as it allows one to dial up the bass volume in a very pleasing way. They may become my keeper open-back dynamic driver headphones. They are supremely comfortable also and I find no sign of the brightness that has always scared me off them based on reviews.

Mine does not have any mods installed. I was weary of that famed treble harshness, and prepared to get the SDR mod. But I must say, I find the treble to be fairly tame, as is. I do not hear anything sharp or piercing. In fact, my LCD-2.2F has a bit more pop and sparkle in the upper registers. The HD800 sounds to my ears to be a fairly laid-back headphone. An easy listen.

I wonder if it's because I have that rarest of creatures, an amp which pairs well with the HD800. :D

Either way, based on my first evening with these headphones, I don't think I'll be modding them. We'll see if my opinion changes over time.

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #26,040 of 28,989
Mine does not have any mods installed. I was weary of that famed treble harshness, and prepared to get the SDR mod. But I must say, I find the treble to be fairly tame, as is. I do not hear anything sharp or piercing. In fact, my LCD-2.2F has a bit more pop and sparkle in the upper registers. The HD800 sounds to my ears to be a fairly laid-back headphone. An easy listen.

I wonder if it's because I have that rarest of creatures, an amp which pairs well with the HD800. :D

Either way, based on my first evening with these headphones, I don't think I'll be modding them. We'll see if my opinion changes over time.
I may well revert the SDR mod. It is pretty easy to install at least. I can definitely vouch for stellar amp pairings with both the iFi Pro ICAN and Decware Taboo Mk III. Can't wait to hear mine with the Draug 2 cable. That is supposed to be really synergistic with the HD800 also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back