The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #25,996 of 28,989
Variety in choices and impressions is what makes the hobby interesting.

I find the Z1R to be epically comfortable. The pads are thick, yet soft and the lamskin is very smooth. Of course, they do get hot if ambient temperatures are high, but that is going to happen with any other model with leather pads and closed format. Not perfectly comfortable in hot rooms.

I love the colors and comfort of the HD800 and even that feels itchy, heavy and plasticky after a switch.

The Ethers are great, but just like the Eikon I think they're not up to the same standard as the Z1R in build and sound,totally different leagues,built by people with very different levels of expertise.

Tyll had an interesting post, but I think he had an outlier pair. His finding are not matching many others from people in the field. Actually, there's a post from Jude on the front page about it at the time I'm writing this.

Anyway, my point was that the 800 are super comfy, but having both there's no way I put them at 10/10 in comfort after ten months with the Z1R. There's a reason I keep the 800 tho :wink:

Ps. Nice paint work! I should mod my 800

While I agree with previous comments that the HD800 are not as warm to wear as the Z1R (open headphones typically have an advantage here) and technically I would give the nod to my HD800S over my Z1Rs, I find the 6kHz peak on the HD800 far, far more "troublesome" than the smaller 10kHz treble peak of say the beyer T1.2 or AKG K812 (again, I do think the HD800 is a more technically superior headphone, but this 6kHz peak really is a big issue for me). For reference, there isn't much going on at 10kHz (quite unlike 6kHz):

upload_2017-6-16_22-12-3.png

The so-called peak on the Z1R is quite the controversial thing right now. My experiences with a half dozen Z1Rs since their release sound very much in line with Jude's measurements; otherwise I wouldn't have bought my pair this past winter. That said, as much as I hold the HD800/HD800S in high esteem, my Z1Rs still get substantially more head-time. But we shall see...hopefully this doesn't take longer than the Russian meddling investigation into the Trump campaign. :p

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #25,997 of 28,989
Buy this and install it. It will reduce the treble 40%

Cheers
While I agree with previous comments that the HD800 are not as warm to wear as the Z1R (open headphones typically have an advantage here) and technically I would give the nod to my HD800S over my Z1Rs, I find the 6kHz peak on the HD800 far, far more "troublesome" than the smaller 10kHz treble peak of say the beyer T1.2 or AKG K812 (again, I do think the HD800 is a more technically superior headphone, but this 6kHz peak really is a big issue for me). For reference, there isn't much going on at 10kHz (quite unlike 6kHz):

The so-called peak on the Z1R is quite the controversial thing right now. My experiences with a half dozen Z1Rs since their release sound very much in line with Jude's measurements; otherwise I wouldn't have bought my pair this past winter. That said, as much as I hold the HD800/HD800S in high esteem, my Z1Rs still get substantially more head-time. But we shall see...hopefully this doesn't take longer than the Russian meddling investigation into the Trump campaign. :p

Buy this and install it for the original HD800. It will reduce the treble 40% or higher depends on your ears.

Cheers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/sennheiser-...177821?hash=item2384e0c2dd:g:cEUAAOSw8gVX~SoN

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #25,998 of 28,989
Thank you for the frequency spectrum chart, @MacedonianHero. That's very interesting.

I personally don't have an issue w/ the HD800 and really enjoy them with my usual music. My (2) pair aren't modded. We have two pair because me and the wife listen together to Joe Bonamassa (and sometimes other) BluRays.

If the recording seems a bit bright, I just switch to low gain on the Bryston BHA-1 amp. That nicely tames the HD800 treble without much loss in SQ. I auditioned the HD800S and didn't care for them - seemed to remove clarity from the HP.

Enjoy your music!
RCB

Jun 18, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #25,999 of 28,989
Thank you for the frequency spectrum chart, @MacedonianHero. That's very interesting.

I personally don't have an issue w/ the HD800 and really enjoy them with my usual music. My (2) pair aren't modded. We have two pair because me and the wife listen together to Joe Bonamassa (and sometimes other) BluRays.

If the recording seems a bit bright, I just switch to low gain on the Bryston BHA-1 amp. That nicely tames the HD800 treble without much loss in SQ. I auditioned the HD800S and didn't care for them - seemed to remove clarity from the HP.

Enjoy your music!
RCB

Comparing the HD800 and HD800S for me was that they were pretty much the same headphone; except for 3 things:

1.) Sexy black on the HD800S.
2.) The annoying 6kHz bump for me was finally removed. Listening closely revealed that this, while a small change, was a game changer for me as I limited my use of the HD800 because of it. In terms of "clarity", the 6kHz boost can give an impression of a bit more clarity, but this isn't "real" as the 6kHz bump is simply not in the recording. Grado often does this too to give a sense of "great clarity", but in the end it's just a colouration. Whichever you prefer is the right choice of course. :)
3.) A tad (maybe only 2dB) of more bass on the HD800S. This too was a welcomed addition to my ears anyway.

Cheers!

Jun 19, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #26,000 of 28,989

Enjoy your music!
RCB

I too prefer HD800 over HD800S and the so called 6kHz peak never bothered me. In my setup, comprising Yggy, Feliks Audio Euforia OTL amp and HD800, I find it rich in details with a natural soothing tone that is pleasing on the ears and fatigue free.

HD800 paired with the right tube amp will sound gold.

Jun 19, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #26,001 of 28,989

I have no mods installed on my HD800 either. I have listened to them this way for years and I would not change a thing.
Oh, by the way, great music you and your wife are listening too.....you guys are living the good life, dual listening with two pair of HD800 :)

Comparing the HD800 and HD800S for me was that they were pretty much the same headphone; except for 3 things:

1.) Sexy black on the HD800S.
2.) The annoying 6kHz bump for me was finally removed. Listening closely revealed that this, while a small change, was a game changer for me as I limited my use of the HD800 because of it. In terms of "clarity", the 6kHz boost can give an impression of a bit more clarity, but this isn't "real" as the 6kHz bump is simply not in the recording. Grado often does this too to give a sense of "great clarity", but in the end it's just a colouration. Whichever you prefer is the right choice of course. :)
3.) A tad (maybe only 2dB) of more bass on the HD800S. This too was a welcomed addition to my ears anyway.

Yes, thanks for that chart Peter, that is very interesting.
I can only assume that with my old ears that this may be the reason that I also like the old Grado RS1 with buttons sound, I am a big fan of them.....great transparency and one of the best low volume listening headphones that I have heard.
I strictly listen with tubes, so a little coloration is no big thing for me...I love the different tones for different cans and albums.

Still waiting for the KTE Holo Spring, can't wait to hear it with the HD800 and new amp.

Jun 19, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #26,002 of 28,989
You know, I think Joe may be spot-on with the "old ears" comment...the higher frequencies are the first affected. We (both) have a history of factory work in loud environments. And, Annette has a touch of tinnitus. She reports that the HD800 tame the ringing...so a win on that + of course the Joe Bonamassa music :)

The best I ever heard my un-modded HD800 was connected to the Yggy - WA5 rig owned by Mr. Speakers (Dan Clark) himself. It was Dan's home rig...brought it to Nashville for a meet! The SQ was smooth as Schiit, mellow, detailed, great bass, uber resolving, you get it. Not a hint of sibilance or fatigue at all.

However, I'm a SS amp guy. Don't know anything about tubes, other than what @whirlwind has kindly enlightened me on. I know one thing - the WA5 is a hell of a nice amp!

So anyway, it's exactly true what Peter wrote above..."Whichever you prefer is the right choice of course."

Enjoy your Music!
RCB

ps. Perhaps I should audition the Grado line!

Jun 19, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #26,003 of 28,989
You really SHOULD listen to Joe Bonamassa with some Grados, preferably any of the over ears (GS2000e, PS1000, PS1000e, PS2000e, maybe not the GS1000e, unless sure it is burned inover 200 hrs).

I have the Sennheiser HD800 (unmodded), with the HDVD800 amp, and I would NEVER let them go. But I LOVE my Grados, especially for that type of music.

Oh, and regarding husband and wife enjoying HD800 headphones together, I exposed my girlfriend to my entire collection of 28 models of Grados, bought her her very own favorite model, and... now that girlfriend is my wife! She is the Ruthie of ruthieandjohn, and her ability to hear differences between headphones exceeds my own.

Jun 19, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #26,004 of 28,989
I too prefer HD800 over HD800S and the so called 6kHz peak never bothered me. In my setup, comprising Yggy, Feliks Audio Euforia OTL amp and HD800, I find it rich in details with a natural soothing tone that is pleasing on the ears and fatigue free.

HD800 paired with the right tube amp will sound gold.

So pairing the HD800 with a coloured amp to help subdue it's issues is indeed another way. I just prefer to "fix" the headphones. :)

Jun 19, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #26,005 of 28,989
That's an awesome story, John. Thanks for sharing it! Which of those Grado's would you suggest?

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #26,007 of 28,989
My favorite is the GS1000i. I'm extremely fond of the GS2000e, for which I wrote a review in the GS2000e Loaner Program thread, and the PS1000 and PS1000e. For on ear, favorite would be the Grado RS2e.

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #26,008 of 28,989
So pairing the HD800 with a coloured amp to help subdue it's issues is indeed another way. I just prefer to "fix" the headphones. :)

Dont forget the army of tube amp lovers on Head-Fi. We do not share your sentiments.

I dont see it as fixing. I see it as synergy.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #26,010 of 28,989
So, probably dumb question but does the hd800 use the same 2.5 mm connectors as the hd700 and he1000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back