The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 18, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #24,076 of 29,013
  GUYS!

What if I add SubPac M2 to increase the bass of HD800? even better for EDM!!!!

Any recommendation? <3

I don't want to sound like a wise-ass, although I am one, but the way I found to increase the bass of the HD800/800S for EDM was selling them after I got the Z1R. It's not that the selling did it, but the Z1R had this really awes...er, ahem, well, nevermind. Ok, ok... I'll show myself out...

Nov 18, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #24,077 of 29,013
   The amplifier can only amplify what is there or isn't there in the first place.

So if my O2/ODAC reached more than sufficient listening levels with my HD800 I just have thrown my $ out the window by getting a much more expensive Liquid Carbon? What's more, the 4k Liquid Gold I'm saving for would be an outright waste of money?

Just curious, what headphone amps have you been using/owning/extensively knowing to make such a statement?

Nov 18, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #24,078 of 29,013

I don't want to sound like a wise-ass, although I am one, but the way I found to increase the bass of the HD800/800S for EDM was selling them after I got the Z1R. It's not that the selling did it, but the Z1R had this really awes...er, ahem, well, nevermind. Ok, ok... I'll show myself out...

pfttttt, you are not the only one suggesting that............

everyone says mdr z1r has forgiving highs with damn good bass. What is this... the cost.... $2k...................

Nov 18, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #24,079 of 29,013
  So if my O2/ODAC reached more than sufficient listening levels with my HD800 I just have thrown my $ out the window by getting a much more expensive Liquid Carbon? What's more, the 4k Liquid Gold I'm saving for would be an outright waste of money?

Just curious, what headphone amps have you been using/owning/extensively knowing to make such a statement?

I'm not sure about the ODAC. Haven't tried it. The JDS Labs O2 I owned for around a year (+/-) that I used with D2000, HE-500, and LCD-2 at the time (2012 or 2013?). There are actually a lot of my comments on the Emotiva mini speaker thread comparing the O2 and the Emotiva speaker amp. For D2000, the O2 was fine, but for the two planars, the O2 was very underwhelming.

(Wait hold up...I'm re-reading your comment and just bolded the part about loudness and wasting money. I think you are confusing my stance with someone else's. I care about quality and not the loudness thing. Not sure what your are trying to imply.)

Anyways, I haven't tried many dedicated headphone amps...Bryston BHA-1, Naim DAC V1, Fiio E10, Fiio E11, Burson Soloist, O2. I'm forgetting a few here and there.

On the other hand, I've driven the planars (mostly LCD-2 and LCD-3) out of some very nice speaker amplifier's output. Most of them exceeded by a very large margin the headphone amplifiers I tried. EAR, Accuphase, Naim, NAD, Luxman, Marantz. With these I can listen at low volume and hear everything with very little distortion, clean background, strong imaging, clean transients. Even if I increase the volume, the FR changes in a linear manner. The price on these ranged from $2k to $15k.

Nov 18, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #24,080 of 29,013
Also, to restate my own quote: The amplifier can only amplify what is there or isn't there in the first place.

Yes, this is 100% true. Fact. How is this even challengeable? Am I taking crazy pills having to defend this in 2016 in a high end thread!?

Nov 18, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #24,081 of 29,013
  pfttttt, you are not the only one suggesting that............

everyone says mdr z1r has forgiving highs with damn good bass. What is this... the cost.... $2k...................

Forgiving highs.. hmm, if by that you mean something that's a bit smoothed out, warmish, definitely not having that brightness that will make your ears bleed, yes.

But it's not without its temperament. They can sound sibilant sometimes. Which is amazing, since I am a fan of really bright signatures... maybe it's just a preference or maybe I have old ears, but I do like a bright sound, grainy. The Z1R have that, but smoothed out, curvy, liquid. The HD800S have it too, quite similar, but with less punch on the mids and bass, less fun. Sub-bass totally absent (yes, regardless of amping).

Oopss, got carried away, thought I was on the Z1R thread, but - you did ask about bass.
biggrin.gif

Alright, now back to the thread subject, I do love the HD800/800S. But bass-wise, hmm, it's not a signature that matches every track. Actually, I think HD800/HD800S + Z1R are a brutal perfect combo (I have a two-headphone holder on my desk and like to think in sets of 2) because one is a really brilliant open set and the other is an outstanding closed set. They are a perfect duo IMHO, with amping being the only major gap, as you can drive the Z1R out of a cherry tomato and the HD800/S need a fusion reactor to sound great.

The Z1R is just better overall (for the price) - BUT - the HD800/800S have qualities that the Z1R cannot match (air/soundstage, that holographic feeling, a brighter, apparently more detailed sound even if that's not extra detail). I do like those 800 qualities a lot, the positioning and layering, that roomy feeling, maybe I need to try more sets but couldn't find that yet, not even close. They're just unique at it. So there's no way to push the 800 aside as irrelevant. Which sucks because I sold mine!
(Anyone has a good pair of used 800/800S to sell?)

They're both bloody good. But if you want a solid midrange/lows and can go closed... well... it's hand-assembled in Tokyo
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #24,082 of 29,013
Forgiving highs.. hmm, if by that you mean something that's a bit smoothed out, warmish, definitely not having that brightness that will make your ears bleed, yes.

But it's not without its temperament. They can sound sibilant sometimes. Which is amazing, since I am a fan of really bright signatures... maybe it's just a preference or maybe I have old ears, but I do like a bright sound, grainy. The Z1R have that, but smoothed out, curvy, liquid. The HD800S have it too, quite similar, but with less punch on the mids and bass, less fun. Sub-bass totally absent (yes, regardless of amping).

Oopss, got carried away, thought I was on the Z1R thread, but - you did ask about bass. :D

Alright, now back to the thread subject, I do love the HD800/800S. But bass-wise, hmm, it's not a signature that matches every track. Actually, I think HD800/HD800S + Z1R are a brutal perfect combo (I have a two-headphone holder on my desk and like to think in sets of 2) because one is a really brilliant open set and the other is an outstanding closed set. The Z1R is just better overall (for the price) - BUT - the HD800/800S have qualities that the Z1R cannot match (air/soundstage, that holographic feeling, a brighter, apparently more detailed sound even if that's not extra detail).

They're both bloody good. But if you want a solid midrange/lows and can go closed... well... :wink:  

Well dont get me wrong. Im just finding a forgiving treble headphone with the bass at par with my current th600. It's hard to find dark sounding but with good clarity and punchy bass. Not gonna use it for any other except edm. I have hd800 for other genre. Any recommendations?

Nov 18, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #24,083 of 29,013
Well dont get me wrong. Im just finding a forgiving treble headphone with the bass at par with my current th600. It's hard to find dark sounding but with good clarity and punchy bass. Not gonna use it for any other except edm. I have hd800 for other genre. Any recommendations?

I found the LCD-2.2 pre-fazor to be the perfect fit for this very reason.

Nov 18, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #24,084 of 29,013
I found the LCD-2.2 pre-fazor to be the perfect fit for this very reason.

That's awesome. Well gonna sell my th600 first!

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #24,085 of 29,013

are you totally opposed to EQ?  The HD800 has incredible power handling, meaning you EQ a lot of bass in, and as long as your amp can push it, the HD800 will handle it distortion free.

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #24,086 of 29,013

Hmm. Not sure I'm the right person to ask. At the moment to my ears anything closed follows behind the Z1R. LCDs, Ethers, well, the ones I listened to at least, which I scientifically like to call "all other".

I wanted ti figure out which closed can I enjoyed the most, so far the Z1R landed that one with a huge advantage on the "fun" factor. Not to mention the build quality and presentation... in that area I think it's not even relative, it's not subjective. The Z1R are the model of the year by far, build quality and packaging/case/materials are epic.

Now the problem - to my ears (since we all have different problems) - is what to have as a second set. Yes, second. For a few years I've been wanting to have just three headphones. It might be silly, but I focused on three.. something for on-the-move-and-work (which means IEMs or some ANC wireless set), plus some closed and open cans. Three.

For the closed ones, I think I'm done for now. Z1R. For open cans... Well, the HD800 are just so good! Really good. HD800S are so good, really, really good (yes, I like them all).
So, what do you get for a perfect 1 closed + 1 closed combo? 800? 800S? Elear? Utopia? What for opens?
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #24,087 of 29,013

are you totally opposed to EQ?  The HD800 has incredible power handling, meaning you EQ a lot of bass in, and as long as your amp can push it, the HD800 will handle it distortion free.

Yes, i did for some songs. Not always on since sometimes acoustic will be better without eq. I use equalifypro in spotify. I did increase bass for some reasons and not eq ing for some reasons. However, edm songs to me needs more bass than that. 

Well after i got use to this hd800, th600 is kinda harsh to me even some people said hd800 6khz spike and it doesnt bother me much. Acoustic with that bright treble is friggin awesome.

different opinion when comes to edm, i want mids and bass more than treble. Maybe that's just me. I dont want highs bother me when i crank up the volume to listen to punchy bass.

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #24,088 of 29,013
yes, it clearly that i just want mids and bass emphasis for edm genre. Dont like piercing highs :frowning2: 

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #24,089 of 29,013
I'd go for the LCD-X if you don't want to sacrifice clarity. I can't see the clinical sound of HD800 satisfying you for EDM. They can be tuned to a certain degree of warmth but it sounds like you want euphony. This is not the right thread for you. 

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #24,090 of 29,013
I'd go for the LCD-X if you don't want to sacrifice clarity. I can't see the clinical sound of HD800 satisfying you for EDM. They can be tuned to a certain degree of warmth but it sounds like you want euphony. This is not the right thread for you. Maybe TH900. 

Th900? I have friend's th900 , it's sibilant to me for edm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back