The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 18, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #24,061 of 28,992
Can someone suggest an amp like the Sound Blaster X7 in terms of features? Only reason I bought the X7 is because its an all-rounder I'm able to connect to my ps4 and ps3 using optical audio and get dolby digital 5.1 surround sound.The X7 also allows me to pair with my phone using bluetooh aptX. I just want a powerful amp that can do justice to the HD 800 or HD 800 S but can also decode 5.1 surround sound, and has a balanced connection.

You could keep using the X7 as a dedicated DAC and hook it up to a headphone amp (many suggestions here), that is, unless the aforementioned negatives qualities of the X7 carry over to the line out connections. The Cavalli Liquid Carbon is what I use right now and I'm happy with it, there are plenty of them for sale right now and cheaper than ever. Others might suggest the Schiit Jotunheim as well, but could be a little too bright for the 800.

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #24,062 of 28,992
Can someone suggest an amp like the Sound Blaster X7 in terms of features? Only reason I bought the X7 is because its an all-rounder I'm able to connect to my ps4 and ps3 using optical audio and get dolby digital 5.1 surround sound.The X7 also allows me to pair with my phone using bluetooh aptX. I just want a powerful amp that can do justice to the HD 800 or HD 800 S but can also decode 5.1 surround sound, and has a balanced connection.

I have two suggestions:
1.) Upgrade the OpAmps.
New OpAmps don't change the frequency response (usually), but so far the Bursons I have been testing have made the audio more dynamic and revealing of the different layers in music (it's easier to hear quantities of background singers in Leonard Cohen's "You Want It Darker" track). The sound is more refined, and more "worthy" of the HD800, while being a pretty inexpensive upgrade which is especially nice if you're saving up for a dedicated amp.

2.) connect the X7's line-outs to a dedicated amp.
If amping is the problem but you want to keep the X7's features, this is an obvious solution. You can get a cheap "sweetening" amp like the Schiit Vali or Violectric or something, but those amps are more about coloring the sound Signature and the HD800's potential isn't unlocked. To get a significant upgrade over the X7, you'll be looking for amps around $1000 or stand-out values like the Liquid Carbon. There may be a few other hidden gems out there too, a friend of mine loved a few Corda amps he tested but he was testing for synergy on the HE1000 headphone before giving up and selling that headphone.

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #24,064 of 28,992

As the other 2 suggested keep the X7 and adding a amp would be the easiest way for you to keep all the features but you will not be getting the full potential of the HD-800/S IMO.

When I used a friends Hugo it was a great pairing with the HD-800 for genres which were mostly instrumental but was a little off for genres which were mostly vocals due to the wide sound stage.  The HE-560 was a much better headphone for vocals IMO.  I don't know of any DAC that will give you 5.1 surround sound and be detailed/resolving enough to do justice to the HD-800/S, maybe someone else knows of such?

Nov 18, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #24,065 of 28,992
I have two suggestions:
1.) Upgrade the OpAmps.
New OpAmps don't change the frequency response (usually), but so far the Bursons I have been testing have made the audio more dynamic and revealing of the different layers in music (it's easier to hear quantities of background singers in Leonard Cohen's "You Want It Darker" track). The sound is more refined, and more "worthy" of the HD800, while being a pretty inexpensive upgrade which is especially nice if you're saving up for a dedicated amp.

Which Burson opAmp model are you talking about?

Nov 18, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #24,066 of 28,992
I don't have the desk space for a extra amp. I just want a amp/dac to replace the X7.

The LC is a small footprint amp (5" x 7"), not sure about the X7 dimensions, but perhaps you could stack it over the LC, that way you wouldn't lose any desk space, except for adding 2 extra inches in height and you would also need an extra power socket of course.

Nov 18, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #24,067 of 28,992
Well, what I heard was less detail. It was not just in the highs but in the mids and lows too. They were just off to me. Did not like them.

The primary measurable difference between the HD800 and HD800S is that the S has more 2nd harmonic distortion, especially in the bass. 2nd harmonic distortion is fairly euphonic and is experienced as "warmth and smoothness" but it does come at a cost of slightly less resolution. It's like a built in room effect.

Nov 18, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #24,069 of 28,992
Hd800 with SDR mod. You get the best traits of the 800S without sacrificing resolution.

(You also save up to several hundred dollars)

or sonarworks :wink:

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #24,073 of 28,992
HD 800 is the best example of garbage in = garbage out. No need to sugarcoat it. I find it sounds good on most devices. However, its a lot more fatiguing on the lower end devices. It doesn't need a lot of power, just high quality. There's more to amplification than just power, (although power supply matters). Someone give him the 101. Also, the DAC needs to be factored in here. I often see people say that get good amplification first over a good DAC. That still doesn't make sense to me as both a headphone and speaker guy. The amplifier can only amplify what is there or isn't there in the first place.

Also, don't focus too much on the marketing info on products.

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #24,074 of 28,992
GUYS!

What if I add SubPac M2 to increase the bass of HD800? even better for EDM!!!!

Any recommendation? <3

Nov 18, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #24,075 of 28,992
  GUYS!

What if I add SubPac M2 to increase the bass of HD800? even better for EDM!!!!

Any recommendation? <3

I can guarantee that something like that would get very irritating over a long time. The novelty and comfort would wear out over time.

Look into a full range solution if your situation allows for it. There are some killer nearfield full range solutions out there, although pricey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back