The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #24,046 of 28,992
  @Nikorasu It's odd. I had prior experience with 598 before and from memory, the HD800 is a really big upgrade from the 598.
I think you should've known already, but do you have the proper setup to drive the HD800? HD800 is harder to drive than 598 and totally benefits from good amping. Yes, this is normally the reason people throw to someone unimpressed by the HD800 at first. I thought it was bullschiit too, but in the end I experienced it myself.

As for details in songs, that will depend on what your song is. I normally don't expect much details from pop, rock or something. Only time I'm immersing myself in the music is normally with classical or orchestra. Those kinds of music have really small details like the sound of instruments bumping on something or some ticking that could distract me.

@Nikorasu, I have to agree with @Rozenberg, the HD-800 is a picky headphone when it comes to amps and DACs.  The genre of music will also make a difference, large orchestra classical, jazz and blues will take advantage of the HD-800 technical abilities while pop, classic rock, and rock will not usually take advantage of the HD-800's abilities.

Yes, I do have an adequate amp. It's the Sound Blaster X7 and its rated to power even 600 Ohm headphones. The HD 800 gets really loud so much that it can be heard throughout the house, seriously. So please, don't say the problem is the amp. Also, I do listen to classical and orchestra music. Although the HD 800 is clearer and the soundstage is much better than the HD 598, I couldn't hear any newer nuances in that genre over HD 598. That's why I'm hoping if I get the HD 800 S there will be a big difference and I'd be able to hear even the smallest hidden details. And guys, It's really tiresome going back and forth with both the HD 800 and 598 trying to find the nuances I haven't discovered. I'm hoping with the HD 800 S i can swap back and forth with the HD 598 once on a song and immediately find the differences.

Nov 17, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #24,047 of 28,992
  @Nikorasu It's odd. I had prior experience with 598 before and from memory, the HD800 is a really big upgrade from the 598.
I think you should've known already, but do you have the proper setup to drive the HD800? HD800 is harder to drive than 598 and totally benefits from good amping. Yes, this is normally the reason people throw to someone unimpressed by the HD800 at first. I thought it was bullschiit too, but in the end I experienced it myself.

As for details in songs, that will depend on what your song is. I normally don't expect much details from pop, rock or something. Only time I'm immersing myself in the music is normally with classical or orchestra. Those kinds of music have really small details like the sound of instruments bumping on something or some ticking that could distract me.

So your saying just from memory the HD 800 is immediately better?  How is that possible? My mom tried the HD 800 and she says the HD 598 sounded better. She hasn't even heard my 598 since a month ago. Did you at least compare the two?

Nov 17, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #24,048 of 28,992
So your saying just from memory the HD 800 is immediately better?  How is that possible? My mom tried the HD 800 and she says the HD 598 sounded better. She hasn't even heard my 598 since a month ago. Did you at least compare the two?

If you don't hear a difference between the 598 and 800 and/or prefer the 598, stick with the 598, save money, and enjoy the music. It's about finding the sound you like and prefer, and it doesn't have to cost a fortune to do so.

Nov 17, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #24,049 of 28,992
It's not that I prefer the HD 598. I really do want a headphone to replace the 598. That's why I chose to try the HD 800. I was super stoked when the HD 800 came in from Lumoid. I was so eager to listen to them, I couldn't wait. I'm not basis or anything. I love Sennheiser! I been through 3 different pairs of headphones. The first Sennheisers I had was the HD 201. Then I bought the 558 and holy **** it was amazing. It was like a %100 jump! Then I sold my HD 558 to my brother and bought the HD 598, but that was only like a %5 jump.  I just want a headphone to replace my 598. A headphone that gives hidden details to all my music that already sounds good on the 598. I need a headphone that's even better! That's why i'm hoping if I buy the HD 800 S from amazon I'll be able to hear new hidden details in my music that the HD 598 can't even do. I'm hoping that the "enhanced sound reproduction of the HD 800 S" will allow me to hear the nuances that I couldn't hear with the HD 800. 

I just hope this quote from Sennheiser about the innovative absorber technology is true and that I can really tell the difference over the HD 800 and 598 and that I'll be able to hear nuances I haven't heard before. . "The enhanced sound reproduction of the HD 800 S is achieved through the addition of the innovative absorber technology that was pioneered in the Sennheiser IE 800 – a breakthrough that preserved the audibility of very high frequency sounds by eliminating a phenomenon known as the “masking effect”, where the human hear struggles to hear frequencies of sound when lower frequencies of a higher volume occur at the same time. By absorbing the energy of the resonance, Sennheiser’s patented absorber technology prevents any unwanted peaks and allows all frequency components – even the finest nuances – in the music material to become audible. This innovation was a key element in making the IE 800 the world’s best sounding in ear headphone, and in the HD 800 S it helps to bring even greater purity and precision."

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #24,050 of 28,992
  Yes, I do have an adequate amp. It's the Sound Blaster X7 and its rated to power even 600 Ohm headphones. The HD 800 gets really loud so much that it can be heard throughout the house, seriously. So please, don't say the problem is the amp. Also, I do listen to classical and orchestra music. Although the HD 800 is clearer and the soundstage is much better than the HD 598, I couldn't hear any newer nuances in that genre over HD 598. That's why I'm hoping if I get the HD 800 S there will be a big difference and I'd be able to hear even the smallest hidden details. And guys, It's really tiresome going back and forth with both the HD 800 and 598 trying to find the nuances I haven't discovered. I'm hoping with the HD 800 S i can swap back and forth with the HD 598 once on a song and immediately find the differences.

I once had an Aune T1 like 2 years ago. It drove the HD800 sufficiently, but still sounded thin. Recently I had a Liquid Carbon and still own a Crimson and I daresay these two are what finally hit the sweet spot for me. Of course this doesn't sound convincing to you, since both amps are more expensive, so normally it would look like "he paid more money so it must sound better to him." I usually first judge the improvement of an amp if it immediately brings a grin to my face. It happened with the Crimson thus why I'm loving it so much.

But well, in your case you might better follow @Astral Abyss' advice and keep the 598 until you can find something that truly blows your mind. The 800S isn't that much different from the 800.
It's hard to fall in love with the HD800 at first sight, so I understand your sentiment, but again the 800 is one annoying lady to please, to be honest. Sounds weird but pretty much true.

My brother tried my HD800 and said it's no different sounding from his TFZ Series 5 IEM. Maybe we in this hobby are crazy.

Can't compare directly, sorry. Gave the 598 to my friend long time ago.

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #24,051 of 28,992

The HD800S is, if anything, less detailed than the HD800 by a tiny amount.

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #24,052 of 28,992
it's not how loud ur amp can do. It's how good the dac can do justice and how the amp complement the dac.

I just use mojo and it's super good with HD800, beat the bifrost+valhalla2. I prefer HD800 with this little mojo. Tiny but superb.

Since u have money for HD800, i do consider u can try to find mojo.

Sibilant with HD800 is actually very little. I bet you never listen to TH900/600 yet. That highs are even unforgiving. I have th600 and my friend just bought TH900, both of them are more sibilant than my HD800.

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #24,053 of 28,992
@Nikorasu : if you don't hear any difference between a HD800 and your HD598 , you won't hear more with the HD800S. Stick with you HD598. Seem you're a happy camper now :) 

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #24,054 of 28,992
Quote:
The HD800S is, if anything, less detailed than the HD800 by a tiny amount.
This.

Quote:

I would say, get a better DAC/Amp if you want to improve HD800's performance. Sometimes it's not about power.
HD800 needs little power, but it can reveal the small differences between different amplifiers.

Anyway, HD800 might not be the right headphone for you.
Most of the times I enjoy my T1.1 more than my HD800. The T1 is warmer and sounds more organic than the HD800.

HD598 is a neutralish headphone so it won't hide things, higher quality headphones like K702, HE1000, T1, HD800 will show the same things but more focused, tighter, clearer. You should be able to hear more of the acoustics of the room where the recording took place, more of the evanescent sound of a guitar string after the main sound, and there should be more instrument and vocal separation in orchestras and chorus recordings. That's all you'll get, but you should be able to hear those differences.

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #24,055 of 28,992

Its not just the power, its the synergy between the amp and headphone, I have 3 amps that will drive the HD-800 to ear bleeding levels, Lyr2 (660mW @ 300ohms, or 330mW @ 600ohms) , Ember (400, 600 or 700mW depending on the output impedance, or 240, 300 or 390mW @ 600ohms) and BH Crack, the only amp that does the HD-800 justice is the BH Crack for me.  I also found the Hugo a better DAC/amp combo than my Bimby/UD-301 and BH Crack and it has way less power output (• 600 ohms 35mW, • 300 ohms 70mW) than my other amps.  I couldn't find what is the out @600 ohms in any of the specs provided by Sound Blaster, they only say 600 ohms but that means nothing without actual mW, amps or voltage that the X7 delivers @ 600ohms.

As for the HD-800S, I've heard it and I want one but its different enough from the HD-800 that I would keep both but its just as picky as the HD-800 when it comes to amps IMO and to me the HD-800 was a touch more detailed than the HD-800S but the S is better with more genres of music to me.

Nov 18, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #24,056 of 28,992
I agree that the hd800 is a touch more detailed than hd800s. I listened to them side-by-side and preferred HD 800 . I've also listened to the x7 with my HD800 and it doesn't drive them the way that they need to be. The liquid carbon or preferably the liquid gold drives the HD800 much better.YMMV IMO and all that.

Nov 18, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #24,057 of 28,992
X7's amp part is the weakest part of it. Not only does it have the dreaded "loudness effect" aka lack of dynamics and compressed in general, it also suffers from bloaty, uncontrolled bass. 

Being deafening loud is the worst factor to measure an amp. Also the power overhead is rather mediocre. Remember that the kickbass of the HD800 reaches around 640 Ohms (@100Hz)

SB X7 Standard Edition
Measured Output Impedance: 2.11
Normal Gain Maximum output voltage at 600 ohm load: 2.08 Vrms
High Gain Maximum output voltage at 600 ohm load: 6.52 Vrms
Maximum output current at 15 ohm load: 277 mA
Calculated power rating:
Max power output at 32 ohms: 1,328 mW
Max power output at 50 ohms: 850 mW
Max power output at 300 ohms: 142 mW
Max power output at 600 ohms: 71 mW

SB X7 Limited Edition
Measured Output Impedance: 1.51 ohm
Normal Gain Maximum output voltage at 600 ohm load: 1.94 Vrms
High Gain Maximum output voltage at 600 ohm load: 6.36 Vrms
Maximum output current at 15 ohm load: 271 mA
Calculated power rating:
Max power output at 32 ohms: 1,264 mW
Max power output at 50 ohms: 809 mW
Max power output at 300 ohms: 135 mW
Max power output at 600 ohms: 67 mW

Nov 18, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #24,058 of 28,992
I agree that the hd800 is a touch more detailed than hd800s. I listened to them side-by-side and preferred HD 800 . I've also listened to the x7 with my HD800 and it doesn't drive them the way that they need to be. The liquid carbon or preferably the liquid gold drives the HD800 much better.YMMV IMO and all that.

I'm not sure it is really more detail or resolution. To my ears, a brighter, more grainy sound usually gives me the impression of more detail, even if it isn't there. The 800S are a bit smoother and warmer, so perhaps that's why the HD800 can sound sharper.

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #24,059 of 28,992
I'm not sure it is really more detail or resolution. To my ears, a brighter, more grainy sound usually gives me the impression of more detail, even if it isn't there. The 800S are a bit smoother and warmer, so perhaps that's why the HD800 can sound sharper.
Well, what I heard was less detail. It was not just in the highs but in the mids and lows too. They were just off to me. Did not like them.

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #24,060 of 28,992
Can someone suggest an amp like the Sound Blaster X7 in terms of features? Only reason I bought the X7 is because its an all-rounder I'm able to connect to my ps4 and ps3 using optical audio and get dolby digital 5.1 surround sound.The X7 also allows me to pair with my phone using bluetooh aptX. I just want a powerful amp that can do justice to the HD 800 or HD 800 S but can also decode 5.1 surround sound, and has a balanced connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back