The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 13, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #24,016 of 28,992
My desktop worth more than $3k usd. It's a gaming desktop. I doubt my motherboard limits my usb connection quality.

High end gaming rigs are not the quietest systems for audio from what I've found when building custom gaming systems using Asus ROG, MSI G series, and Gigabyte gaming series motherboards.  I don't know if tube amps are more prone to picking up electronic noise but there use to be a very faint buzz when I used my BH Crack and HD-800 with my gaming system.

For a system that is primarily for audio I've had much better results with workstation class motherboards using Xeon processors and ECC RAM, more stable and less electronic noise, one reason my gaming system is out on my lanai by its self.  The 2 systems I use for audio are very simple Xeon based, ECC RAM, low power graphics, only USB devices connected are mouse and KB, gold or platinum rated PSU and SSD drives only.  For USB cables I've found that those that have ferrite beads usually have not given me problems/issues but I try to limit using USB as much as possible.

Nov 13, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #24,017 of 28,992
My desktop worth more than $3k usd. It's a gaming desktop. I doubt my motherboard limits my usb connection quality.

it's typically not the amount of money, but rather simply how many other devices share the same USB controller.  Gaming desktops tend to be bad about this, because they pack a lot of powerful peripherals nearby that generate a lot of electronic noise.  

Nov 13, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #24,018 of 28,992
So yeah, i bought toslink. Will arrive ths tuesday. Will give my reviewnsoon!

Nov 13, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #24,019 of 28,992
Yet sub-$100 (sub-$50?) items completely solve this USB issue? That, put in context of $1000 cables? God, I can't follow this hobby sometimes.

Nov 13, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #24,020 of 28,992
I'd also ask how to quantify "USB connection quality" but I don't want to get screamed at. Especially when USB issues manifest themselves in stuttering and connectivity issues, and not the "really opens up the mids" stuff.

This reminds me of an argument I got in over "magic paper" treatment for a DAC. Apparently this "magic paper" blocks interference... yet the solution involved randomly placing specks of paper until you got results you liked, instead of lining the whole box with this paper to completely isolate it.

If "I trust my ears" is all that matters, if I insist that a voodoo dance makes my rig sound better, would you all believe me?

Nov 13, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #24,021 of 28,992
I'd also ask how to quantify "USB connection quality" but I don't want to get screamed at. Especially when USB issues manifest themselves in stuttering and connectivity issues, and not the "really opens up the mids" stuff.

This reminds me of an argument I got in over "magic paper" treatment for a DAC. Apparently this "magic paper" blocks interference... yet the solution involved randomly placing specks of paper until you got results you liked, instead of lining the whole box with this paper to completely isolate it.

If "I trust my ears" is all that matters, if I insist that a voodoo dance makes my rig sound better, would you all believe me?

Yes, the obvious difference between my iPad and Desktop connection is the mids. The clarity of my hd800 becomes really damn good when connected to ipad. Desktop makes my hd800 less mids and kinda treble spike.

Even i use virtual ASIO to bypass onboard audiocard which makes it straight to my mojo.

What is this... i think this is because different DAP. DIFFERENT DAP GIVES DIFFERENT SIGNATURE. That's what i believe.

Nov 13, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #24,022 of 28,992
Hi guys, so there is a deal going on my local Senn distributor, free IE800 with HD800 purchase at ~$1300. Worth it?

My LCD-2 recently had its left driver commit sudoku and it may take a while for me to get it serviced.

Nov 13, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #24,023 of 28,992
Yes, the obvious difference between my iPad and Desktop connection is the mids. The clarity of my hd800 becomes really damn good when connected to ipad. Desktop makes my hd800 less mids and kinda treble spike.

Even i use virtual ASIO to bypass onboard audiocard which makes it straight to my mojo.

What is this... i think this is because different DAP. DIFFERENT DAP GIVES DIFFERENT SIGNATURE. That's what i believe.

If the amp and the DAC is the same, there should be absolutely no difference in "sound signature." Maybe some very minor and insignificant differences due to isolation and power but no evidence for sound signature changes. Unless you have some sort of software that is doing audio processing on either end

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #24,024 of 28,992
Hi guys, so there is a deal going on my local Senn distributor, free IE800 with HD800 purchase at ~$1300. Worth it?

My LCD-2 recently had its left driver commit sudoku and it may take a while for me to get it serviced.

Sudoku, hahaha. Sorry for your loss with the LCDs.
I would like to ask if you really enjoy the sound of both? Otherwise I would not recommend spending $1300 which is rather risky if you haven't heard nor have strong interest in both. A new hd800 is going for slightly less than $1000 so you're just essentially paying $300 for the ie800 since you already spent $1000 if you do buy it from your local distributor

Nov 14, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #24,025 of 28,992
I own both and would never separate myself of either of them, I wish I had such a good offer as you, but I wasn't that lucky!! I really cannot choose only one of them and I would buy them both again if I would have to! Offer or no offer! But first be sure you like the sound signature.
300$ for ie800!! That's 50% off!!

Nov 14, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #24,026 of 28,992

Fantastic, the IE800 is a remarkable IEM.

Nov 14, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #24,027 of 28,992
If the amp and the DAC is the same, there should be absolutely no difference in "sound signature." Maybe some very minor and insignificant differences due to isolation and power but no evidence for sound signature changes. Unless you have some sort of software that is doing audio processing on either end
I dunno - people are saying the same software, songs, DAC, and amp will sound different depending on when the files are located due to - wait for it - noisy USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back