The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 12, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #24,001 of 28,992
Depending on the quality of the computer, the signal of a computer is more noisy than that of an iPad. This can lead to lower sound quality. 

This is why the Chord Hugo TT and Chord Dave have galvanic isolation to deal with this issue. 

Quality of the computer? What is that even supposed to mean.
The only thing that matters is the onboard soundcard. Or properly isolated USB ports if you use a dedicated USB DAC

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #24,002 of 28,992
Quality of the computer? What is that even supposed to mean.
The only thing that matters is the onboard soundcard. Or properly isolated USB ports if you use a dedicated USB DAC

If you think the electric circuitry of a $3000 Retina Macbook Pro is the same as a $400 Wall mart PC, then you can think that.

The point is that mobile devices can sound better using USB connection than PC's because of the lack of galvanic isolation on the Chord Mojo.

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #24,003 of 28,992
If you think the electric circuitry of a $3000 Retina Macbook Pro is the same as a $400 Wall mart PC, then you can think that.

The point is that mobile devices can sound better using USB connection than PC's because of the lack of galvanic isolation on the Chord Mojo.

Does retina make any real difference compared to a $1000 non retina Mac? Lol. The isolation is all that matters if the amp/DAC is the same

The only thing that matters is the motherboard, I can easily build a $400 PC that has a great motherboard. Processor/GPU/ram/storage/casing/monitor don't affect sound quality...

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #24,004 of 28,992
Does retina make any real difference compared to a $1000 non retina Mac? Lol. The isolation is all that matters if the amp/DAC is the same

The only thing that matters is the motherboard, I can easily build a $400 PC that has a great motherboard. Processor/GPU/ram/storage/casing/monitor don't affect sound quality...

What is the point of your posts by the way? The guy was wondering why his iPad sounds better than his computer on the Chord Mojo which I answered due to lack of Galvanic Isolation.

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #24,005 of 28,992

Its the computer power supply that makes the difference.  Some cheap PC power supplies are very noisy.  That noise will follow the power to the USB and on to the rest of the sound chain.

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #24,006 of 28,992
Its the computer power supply that makes the difference.  Some cheap PC power supplies are very noisy.  That noise will follow the power to the USB and on to the rest of the sound chain.

Yes I forgot to mention that as sometimes it can affect the sound significantly if your USB amp/DAC is not already powered by its own power supply or battery. But it leads back to USB isolation. But of course if the power is noisy, it won't sound different between the two different computers if the same dedicated amp/DAC using the same dedicated power supply is there

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #24,007 of 28,992

What is the point of your posts by the way? The guy was wondering why his iPad sounds better than his computer on the Chord Mojo which I answered due to lack of Galvanic Isolation.

I was mostly replying to your first sentences, it would make sense if you think it that way.
My quick replies weren't paying much attention to the galvanic isolation which probably can make a difference. Do you have evidence that mobile devices use this? I am just curious 

Nov 12, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #24,008 of 28,992
  I was mostly replying to your first sentences, it would make sense if you think it that way.
My quick replies weren't paying much attention to the galvanic isolation which probably can make a difference. Do you have evidence that mobile devices use this? I am just curious 

It's the DAC/AMP that either have or don't have galvanic isolation to stop noise from the computer getting to your DAC. But this a thread about the HD 800 and it's getting way off topic.

Nov 12, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #24,009 of 28,992
Yes I forgot to mention that as sometimes it can affect the sound if your USB amp/DAC is not already powered by its own power supply or battery. But it leads back to USB isolation. But of course if the power is noisy, it won't sound different between the two different computers if the same dedicated amp/DAC using the same dedicated power supply is there

I use a Schiit Wyrd to separate PC power from the rest of my sound chain.

Works well...

Nov 12, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #24,011 of 28,992
Nov 13, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #24,013 of 28,992
Transports definitely matter. My Bryston BDP-1 sounds better than my MacBook Pros, iPhone, IMac, iPod touch, and an old HP Windows laptop. Power supply and all that other stuff starts to add up and does make a difference...IMO/YMMV.

Nov 13, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #24,014 of 28,992

My desktop worth more than $3k usd. It's a gaming desktop. I doubt my motherboard limits my usb connection quality.

Nov 13, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #24,015 of 28,992
Try it with optical out. Then both the desktop and iPad will sound the same most likely. 

So optical out will help solve this issue? I'll give a try soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back