The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 7, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #23,971 of 29,010
Who is to say I wouldn't? I enjoy inner fidelity and his blind test writings too. I will check it out later but not right now.
Oh great, you take everything objective nwavguy says even completely unrelated to his own product because you do not like his amp. Sure shows your thinking

Sorry, I don't fall in line with Reddit group think.

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #23,974 of 29,010
I'm having issues with the stock cable going out on my headphones. Sometimes it will play fine, but if I move my head the sound cuts out? What are my options or any recommendations ?

Thank you!

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #23,979 of 29,010
  if you switch the connectors around does it stay on the right or does it move to the left?  trying to do a process of elimination here between cable, connector or jack on ear cup

Aye, if I switch the headphone jacks the right side works now. So I'm guessing the right cable housing joint is bad or something. Well At least the headphone drivers are still good!

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #23,980 of 29,010
  Aye, if I switch the headphone jacks the right side works now. So I'm guessing the right cable housing joint is bad or something. Well At least the headphone drivers are still good!

is the connection loose?  a few have had an issue with loose connectors, you can try some Teflon tape to make the connection tighter as a temp solution until you can get a new cable

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #23,981 of 29,010
  is the connection loose?  a few have had an issue with loose connectors, you can try some Teflon tape to make the connection tighter as a temp solution until you can get a new cable

What does a replacement cable run these days? I could look in the for used section for a new cable ? These headphones are 2 years old but have less than 20 hours on them. I can only hear out of my right ear anyways so this will work temp for now ! I'll just have to get used to the cable saying L on the right channel haha! Thank you!

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #23,982 of 29,010
  What does a replacement cable run these days? I could look in the for used section for a new cable ? These headphones are 2 years old but have less than 20 hours on them. I can only hear out of my right ear anyways so this will work temp for now ! I'll just have to get used to the cable saying L on the right channel haha! Thank you!

sorry to hear that you can only hear out of your right ear.  take a look on ebay or amazon, $50-70 would be a reasonable price IMO

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #23,983 of 29,010
  sorry to hear that you can only hear out of your right ear.  take a look on ebay or amazon, $50-70 would be a reasonable price IMO

Its okay, was born with just my right ear working %100. I don't know any better :) Ignorance is bliss hehe.

Am I jealous of yalls Bi-nature hearing tho? hell yes haha! In a way im spending %50 more than I need to haha!

Ruse an recycle those bad left channel headphones to me!!! 

Nov 8, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #23,984 of 29,010
  How long do most people go between ordering replacement pads?

I'd say Three years of daily use ( 2 or 3 hours a day) . My first pair of pads was changed after three years. I'm using the current one since January 2014 and the pads are still fine. 

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #23,985 of 29,010
Who is to say I wouldn't? I enjoy inner fidelity and his blind test writings too. I will check it out later but not right now.
Oh great, you take everything objective nwavguy says even completely unrelated to his own product with a grain of salt because you do not like his amp. Sure shows your thinking

one fundamental flaw in just about everything NWAVGuy did was that he treated all distortion the same, high order, low order, even order, odd order, all the same in his analysis.  This has been known to be a flawed approach by speaker engineers for literally decades.  We've long known that how the harmonic distortion profiles is as important, if not more so, than than total distortion.  High order and odd order harmonics sound much harsher to the human ear than lower and even order harmonics.  In fact, this actually provides a fundamental basis for how chords and harmony work in music composition itself.  Yet in his "objective" measurements, he repeatedly just lumped it all together as a raw THD number and kept saying "see, no difference.".  His designs reflect this flawed philosophy.  They, while having good THD measurements, have a lot of harmonic distortion in higher odd order harmonics, and thus sound much harsher than amps with higher "objective" THD measurements.  

It's hard to say if he designed his amps this way because of this flawed philosophy, or if he used this flawed philosophy to justify his claims about his amps.  The first view would put him as having a fundamental misunderstanding about something he claimed to be an expert about, the second makes him a snake oil salesman.

Now, I do enjoy a lot of his other writing.  His treatise on power and gain, how much is needed, and how they work are fantastic and required reading for the "you need a 4 watt amp for your HD650 to get proper bass control" crowd.  

And yes, trying to properly evaluate headphones or amps at a meet is silly.  You can get the basic signature of the headphone, but they're simply too loud to hear differences in dynamics, micro detail, etc.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back