The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #23,986 of 29,010
one fundamental flaw in just about everything NWAVGuy did was that he treated all distortion the same, high order, low order, even order, odd order, all the same in his analysis.  This has been known to be a flawed approach by speaker engineers for literally decades.  We've long known that how the harmonic distortion profiles is as important, if not more so, than than total distortion.  High order and odd order harmonics sound much harsher to the human ear than lower and even order harmonics.  In fact, this actually provides a fundamental basis for how chords and harmony work in music composition itself.  Yet in his "objective" measurements, he repeatedly just lumped it all together as a raw THD number and kept saying "see, no difference.".  His designs reflect this flawed philosophy.  They, while having good THD measurements, have a lot of harmonic distortion in higher odd order harmonics, and thus sound much harsher than amps with higher "objective" THD measurements.  

It's hard to say if he designed his amps this way because of this flawed philosophy, or if he used this flawed philosophy to justify his claims about his amps.  The first view would put him as having a fundamental misunderstanding about something he claimed to be an expert about, the second makes him a snake oil salesman.

Now, I do enjoy a lot of his other writing.  His treatise on power and gain, how much is needed, and how they work are fantastic and required reading for the "you need a 4 watt amp for your HD650 to get proper bass control" crowd.  

And yes, trying to properly evaluate headphones or amps at a meet is silly.  You can get the basic signature of the headphone, but they're simply too loud to hear differences in dynamics, micro detail, etc.  

I have not read all of nwavguys writings actually unlike what some people would assume, in fact I have probably read more articles from inner fidelity. It's interesting to see someone who actually came up with reasons apart from subjectivity against nwavguy and I will be sure to check up on it. I don't really know about high order/low order harmonic distortion so I will have to research that later as well. I like how even though you found a flaw in his philosophy you still regard his other writings unrelated to that subject as valid, that just isn't very common at all. Whether or not his flaws make a huge difference or not, I wouldn't know, but you seem to know what you're talking about

Nov 8, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #23,987 of 29,010
Hi guys, Im a new HD800 user :wink:

Nov 8, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #23,989 of 29,010
Mojo+Desktop<<<<Mojo+iPad.

What?

HD800 is sooooooooo source dependent! which i like cuz i can play with the signature :wink:

Nov 9, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #23,990 of 29,010
Mojo+Desktop<<<
What?

HD800 is sooooooooo source dependent! which i like cuz i can play with the signature :wink:
How is this possible? Isn't the Mojo converting to analog in either case?

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #23,991 of 29,010

Different DAP always deliver different thing. Idk how it works, logically everything dac and amp is the same and the digital should be the same. However, the difference is obvious, im not saying the placebo thing. This is real... not only me saying that. Different DAP produce different signature even with same dac/amp. 

Interesting.

Nov 9, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #23,992 of 29,010
  Different DAP always deliver different thing. Idk how it works, logically everything dac and amp is the same and the digital should be the same. However, the difference is obvious, im not saying the placebo thing. This is real... not only me saying that. Different DAP produce different signature even with same dac/amp. 

Interesting.

1. Because sound quality is not measured, only a subjective listening can measure sound quality.
2. Electronics work that way, just like food, one item mixed with different other items doesn't end up with the same result.

Nov 9, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #23,993 of 29,010

1. Because sound quality is not measured, only a subjective listening can measure sound quality.
2. Electronics work that way, just like food, one item mixed with different other items doesn't end up with the same result.

Yes, it's hard to talk about this when people just keep saying all digital is the same and Dac/Amp is the only change the sound. Yes it's true, but the digital that process the signal plays rule. Do you any DAP which is affordable like below $400 that is really complement the Mojo signature? if u have one. We can talk haha :wink:

Nov 10, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #23,994 of 29,010
Mine are 3 1/2 years old.  Use them daily for a couple of hours. Also had them on a Sieveking Sound's Omega Headphone Stand which probably squashed the pads.  They are now on a Woo stand free floating.   I didn't even realize that my pads needed to be replaced until this week when I borrowed a friends new pair of HD800S to audition.  My pads felt like a flat tire compared to the new ones.  Ordered new pads the same day.  
Quote:
  How long do most people go between ordering replacement pads?

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #23,995 of 29,010
Hey all HD800 owners, just wanted to show my EQ for the hd800 to fix some of the thinness in the mids many have complain about. I advise people in this thread to give this a shot if they feel the same way, I think the hd800 with EQ is definitely the best sounding headphone from everything I own.
I didn't EQ for the bass at 100hz and below because the music I listen to just doesn't really benefit from it.

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #23,996 of 29,010
Recently I have been playing around with EQ including SonarWorks which is very regarded around here. Since I am not experienced in this EQ stuff, I just wanted to mitigate the 6KHZ peak and see what difference that would make to the final sound. I basically wanted to EQ as little as possible to see the result. What do you guys think of this? I am really happy with the sound, it is barely noticeable just a little glare that is removed. Any suggestions for correction would be greatly appreciated! Cheers

Nov 12, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #23,997 of 29,010
Listening acoustic with this is really unbelievable. And yes, did mojo works best on apple product? It's night and day difference when I connect it with my pc and ipad.

Nov 12, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #23,998 of 29,010

Depending on the quality of the computer, the signal of a computer is more noisy than that of an iPad. This can lead to lower sound quality. 

This is why the Chord Hugo TT and Chord Dave have galvanic isolation to deal with this issue. 

Nov 12, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #23,999 of 29,010

Interesting.

Try it with optical out. Then both the desktop and iPad will sound the same most likely. 

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #24,000 of 29,010
Depending on the quality of the computer, the signal of a computer is more noisy than that of an iPad. This can lead to lower sound quality. 

This is why the Chord Hugo TT and Chord Dave have galvanic isolation to deal with this issue. 
Half the internet facepalmed at this comment, and the other half nodded in agreement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back