The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 18, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #20,986 of 28,992

I can't imagine how the 650 can do anything better than the HE-500 & LCD2?
Those two are roided up 650 cans, they are supposed to do everything the 650 does, only better.

The 650 is much closer to the lcd2 than most would think. Lcd2 scales only modestly where the 650 scales impressively. I would call the he500 the better headphone over the 650 until you get to comfort...read below.  For me, the 650 and 800 make the perfect pair of complementary cans. It would be nice if there was a closed hp in there somewhere, but that's where the Ether C comes in. 
wink.gif

650 does comfort better.

I also think the 650 & 800 make for a nice compliment to each other.

I am thinking, I would probably like the sound of the LCD 2....but as soon as I see a pic....the first thing that comes to mind is.....wow!...I bet those are heavy  
tongue.gif

Probably more so than most......I really value comfort, plus I am a head bobber and foot tapper....so anything heavy is not an option

Oct 18, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #20,987 of 28,992
^^ Yes, comfort is now at the top of my list. And the 650/800 are two of the most comfortable cans I've ever owned, but in different ways. The 650 can be a little clampy, which I like. The 800 just gently molds to the contour of my head like I had an impression made of my head and Sennheiser made the 800 especially for me. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #20,988 of 28,992
Yup. Another vote for HD650/800 pairing.  when both cans are optimized and well driven, I really think they're more similar that different  although they shine at best for different musics. If I was restricted to only one headphone,  I'd still stick to my HD800 though. it matches better  the most part of what I listen to and music I like where the 650 outshines the 800 are pretty rare.  

Whos's using a Geek Out v2 From LH labs  here ? I find the result outstandingly good when I use in balanced mode for both the HD650 and the 800.  That's almost incredible for a so small and usb powered dac/amp .  

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #20,989 of 28,992
^^ If it came down to just one of the two, I might go with the 650 actually. The mids on the 650 just make me melt every time. I listen to a lot of acoustic pieces and vocals with minimal accompaniment. Plus I'm cheap and the 650 wins that contest by a long shot. 

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #20,990 of 28,992
Yea. I listen mostly to instrumental acoustic music (Contemporary Jazz, Classical) and Electronic music. If I were more into vocal , Classic Jazz for example, I'd probably use more my 650 .  i'm pleased to come back to some music I didn't listen anymore thanks to the 650 though.  90s electronic music , Big beat or french touch House , a few vocals as well.  

Seems I'm done for headphones . Senn & Stax rules at home for me.  I love to take a plunge into electrostat sound sometimes. 

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #20,991 of 28,992
I've spent a fair bit of time auditioning stats. I'll take the best dynamic driver and planar headphones over stats I suppose. If transparency is your thing then go for stats. 

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #20,992 of 28,992
It's just that I love the very specific Stat sound. Dunno if I'll buy or not a SR007/9 because lambdas provide a very typical stat sound I enjoy sometimes and IME  SR009's sound is not as typical. 

Oct 18, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #20,993 of 28,992
I would definitely keep the 800 over the 650.......but for the price of the 650 now days....it is not going anywhere......I got rid of it once and bought it back...it has a place in my listening habits for sure and like Matt said....damn it scales so well...it got a nice bump in performance with my new amp.

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #20,994 of 28,992
  If I knew there was ANY amp that could get the HD800 close to the rumble/impact/physical feel of the sub-bass of the Fostex TH-900, I would break the bank getting it.

Use an EQ?

ubs28, I was thinking the same thing. Granted, some of the difference may be the open vs closed nature of the two headphones, but distorting reality may be easier to achieve with EQ.

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #20,995 of 28,992
  Random observation I've had with my HD800's the past few weeks: I know a lot of the summit-fi community dogs on the HD800's for "exaggerating" the soundstage with "artificial" imaging and other words that make it seem like the ring diaphragm somehow makes its portrayal of music dishonest.

I find it strange, since I honestly can't say that the HD800's soundstage is anywhere near as big as most people describe. Sure, it's bigger than most headphones, but not by a large margin. Plus, any decent speaker setup has a soundstage that's a few orders of magnitude larger than the HD800's.

I also think the 650 & 800 make for a nice compliment to each other.

I am thinking, I would probably like the sound of the LCD 2....but as soon as I see a pic....the first thing that comes to mind is.....wow!...I bet those are heavy  
tongue.gif

Probably more so than most......I really value comfort, plus I am a head bobber and foot tapper....so anything heavy is not an option

They're definitely pretty damn heavy, and if you buy the leather headband, there's just about no padding on it either. 
tongue.gif

It's the only headphone I've owned that was so uncomfortable it gave me headaches.

I sold mine because of comfort/weight issues, then ran into a great deal on a pair of HD800's. Best audio decision I've ever made!

The 800 just gently molds to the contour of my head like I had an impression made of my head and Sennheiser made the 800 especially for me. 
biggrin.gif

I get that feeling as well, it's really impressive! Every square inch of padding touches my head and distributes weight pretty darn evenly (with the exception of a very minor hot spot on the top of my head, but my pads are in dire need of replacement).
I can't think of another headphone that has the same clever headband shape of the HD800 (which contributes the most to that "custom molded" feeling IMO).

It's just that I love the very specific Stat sound. Dunno if I'll buy or not a SR007/9 because lambdas provide a very typical stat sound I enjoy sometimes and IME  SR009's sound is not as typical. 

Stats could never really be a primary headphone for me because they don't have as much texture as planars and dynamics, especially the HD800 (I'm a huge texturehead), but I do love how stats have the ability to just make music "appear". They're the best at the "no box sound" and do such an excellent job with acoustic music.

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #20,996 of 28,992
  Stats could never really be a primary headphone for me because they don't have as much texture as planars and dynamics, especially the HD800 (I'm a huge texturehead), but I do love how stats have the ability to just make music "appear". They're the best at the "no box sound" and do such an excellent job with acoustic music.

Yes, that's how I perceive it as well. Their (relative) lack of texture makes you think their resolution be far superior. This trick works quite well until you think there's some engagement missing. After all they make for a relaxed listening and some fascination now and then. That's why my two pairs aren't catching dust.

Oct 18, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #20,997 of 28,992
Although I prefer the HD-600 to the HD-650, I feel the HD-650 is a better compliment to the HD-800. I am unable to use the HD-800 for long periods of time or with low quality recordings and thats why I also own the HD-650. I recently purchased a new pair of the updated HD-650 headphones and I feel they are not as bright as the earlier version of the HD-650 I owned. Interestingly many of the impressions posted on Head-Fi have stated that the updated HD-650 is brighter but have not observed this. If I could own just one Sennheiser headphone it would be the HD-600 for its superior comfort and all around performance. 

Oct 18, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #20,998 of 28,992

Yes, that's how I perceive it as well. Their (relative) lack of texture makes you think their resolution be far superior. This trick works quite well until you think there's some engagement missing. After all they make for a relaxed listening and some fascination now and then. That's why my two pairs aren't catching dust.

Same feelings here. 

The fact is when my HD800 had spent some time outside , the only headphones I could really use as a replacement was a Stax. I haven't the HD650 yet but even so, I couldn't use the 650 as  a subsitute for my HD800

Oct 18, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #20,999 of 28,992
johnjen

Does the Sonarworks plug-in boost the bass below 100Hz as per the Harman recommended headphone response?

Cheers and thanks
Frank
Yes the normal 'average' compensation does boost the bass, or more accurately it flattens the FR curve down to 35Hz.
But no it doesn't follow the harmon curves.
But there are additional freq adjustments available.
A bass boost and a tilt control can pseudo mimic portions of the harmon curve.

I figure they will add more functionality to the Ref 3 plug-in with rev 2.

JJ

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #21,000 of 28,992
HD800 guys, Chord Mojo is out - anyone pair it together? From what I gather, it's a warm, intimate musical dac/amp. It should compliment the HD800 well, but there was a member who said it has a early rolloff and decay which would be a bust with the HD800. But not sure because I never heard it myself. Anyone pair it together?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back