The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 19, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #21,017 of 29,013
  I am using the parametric EQ built in on JRMC,  I am slowly taking different stabs at where to boost and subtract, It allows me to enter pretty much any freq. and either cut or boost at pretty much any level

Is there some standard out there one could take a look at and tweak from there ??  Links please if you know of any

Currently I have mine set at 

100hz + 0.5db
80 hz + 1 db
60 hz + 1.5 db
40 hz + 2 db
20 hz + 3 db

also 
5000hz -1db
6000hz -1db
7000hz -1db

I also have the anax mod, I chose the freq above based on my freq response graph, anyone have any suggestions ?

I left the 3 kHz up untouched.

20 Hz and 40 Hz both got a 3 dB boost. 

800 Hz 1 dB.

Always a firm believer in making the most of whatever tool is available.

Oct 19, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #21,018 of 29,013
  My advice would be to get some kind of way to visualize what changes you are making to the frequency response, it makes working with the EQ so much easier (I'm using Peace, which is for Equalizer APO). Also, look at your sennheiser graph, its frequencies are limited, so I would supplement it with Tyll's measurements which go down to 10Hz.

Taowolf51

Thanks for your heads up on the Peace Equalizer APO. I downloaded the softeware and found it much better for modelling equalizer setting than the program I was using before.

Cheers
Frank

Oct 20, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #21,019 of 29,013

Quote:
  For people who has heard both the HE-560 and HD800, which of the 2 has the smoothest/least sibilant treble would you say? If you have tried the Anaxilus mod with HD800 please state so.

After performing "my" version of the Anaxilus mod  I doubt I can go back to stock form. The mod has tamed the headphones. 

Hearing the complaints of the HE-560 in the comfort department I have not even bothered to try "yet". The HD800 has been  extremely comfortable during chill sessions listening to the headphones. If the HE-560 is similar to the rest of the  Hifiman family this is not a HP on my wishlist.

The headphone mod is one thing but the rest of the headphone chain also plays a major roll. This is where simply doing the Anaxilus mod is one step in transforming the sound character  you "prefer".  

I'm apparently not very sensitive to sibilance, as I've not noticed any with either of the headphones. Less than my speakers in combination with the current amp and DAC, for sure. I've found my HE-560 to have somewhat recessed mids and my HD800 seems to have a slight bump somewhere in the lower treble. In general terms, I think the HD800 sounds a bit brighter than neutral, whereas the HE-560 is a bit darker. If treble was an issue, I'd say the HE-560 is a bit safer choice. This is with the stock pads for the HE-560 and an unmodded HD800.

Comfortwise, the HE-560 typically becomes a bit painful on my cheekbones after a few hours, due to the clamping force. The suspension headband is supremely comfortable, though. The HD800 has bigger shells and is not quite as warm on my ears, which is good. There is no discomfort from the pads, but the headband becomes quite painful on the top of my head, and I have to take it off after an hour or two and take a break for half an hour or so. For my head, I find the HE-560 more comfortable, simply because the HD800 headband becomes so painful. I have short hair, though, this may make a difference.

Oct 20, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #21,021 of 29,013
It seems that some peopler using those equalizing gear to flatten or modify the sound. How much improvement can be gained? at what expense? Is it easy to do?  

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #21,022 of 29,013
All this talk of equalisation has me intrigued for sure . Does anyone have a good recommendation for an EQ program to use on a Mac with Amarra? ( Amarra has only a 3 band EQ)

I use Amarra as well.  I can't quite get a grip on the parametric equalizer they use.   If you do use iTunes you can link the Amarra equalizer to the iTunes equalizer through Amarra preferences.

On another note I also use Decibel on my mac.  Great music player for Mac's that can be found in the app store.    Easy to use and also plays flac files. Decibel has a awesome 31 band equalizer that is easy to use and set up to your liking.

Oct 20, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #21,025 of 29,013
  I'm apparently not very sensitive to sibilance, as I've not noticed any with either of the headphones. Less than my speakers in combination with the current amp and DAC, for sure. I've found my HE-560 to have somewhat recessed mids and my HD800 seems to have a slight bump somewhere in the lower treble. In general terms, I think the HD800 sounds a bit brighter than neutral, whereas the HE-560 is a bit darker. If treble was an issue, I'd say the HE-560 is a bit safer choice. This is with the stock pads for the HE-560 and an unmodded HD800.

Comfortwise, the HE-560 typically becomes a bit painful on my cheekbones after a few hours, due to the clamping force. The suspension headband is supremely comfortable, though. The HD800 has bigger shells and is not quite as warm on my ears, which is good. There is no discomfort from the pads, but the headband becomes quite painful on the top of my head, and I have to take it off after an hour or two and take a break for half an hour or so. For my head, I find the HE-560 more comfortable, simply because the HD800 headband becomes so painful. I have short hair, though, this may make a difference.

Perhaps I'll have to test out an HE-560. I do like a darker sound for some of my music. 

The HD800 is a very energetic dynamic headphone. This is where i can see many folks saying the HD650 is a nice set of HP to pair with the HD800. To my ears the HD650 is a heavier sounding transducer that has a smaller intimate soundstage. This is where the HD800 seems to be borderline unrealistic in the massive soundstage it produces. I still feel that every headphone excels in different genre's. The HD800 can work extremely well with electronica and has somewhat organic realism with female jazz vocals. The Hd650 cannot keep up as well with electronica compared to the HD800. 

I do find this headphone world intriguing that many accept the use of an equalizer as a part of the chain of events in the headphone rig. This is certainly the most cheapest form of tweaking to create a sound to cater to each individual. Coming from 2 channel Hifi world I don't think this is a highly acceptable practice of software/hardware equalizers. This is where different school of thoughts apply in how dac/amp/speaker(headphones) have a certain synergy that either works or does not work for the individual. 

I may give this cheap equalizer tweak a try..... 

Oct 20, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #21,026 of 29,013

I use Amarra as well.  I can't quite get a grip on the parametric equalizer they use.   If you do use iTunes you can link the Amarra equalizer to the iTunes equalizer through Amarra preferences.

On another note I also use Decibel on my mac.  Great music player for Mac's that can be found in the app store.    Easy to use and also plays flac files. Decibel has a awesome 31 band equalizer that is easy to use and set up to your liking.

Is the equalizer capable of tightening the soundstage??

When I had the Concero HD paired with the HD800 the music was pure ultra clean digital sounding. Even with the "Magenta" (first filter) the sound of string instruments did not have a long tail in note decay. "Blue" pure bit mode was very energetic and too digital sounding  for jazzy female vocals. The Concero HD has a house sound of creating a huge "open" soundstage regardless of what is the input. I was using a stello U3 trying to soften and tame the sound and it did help a bit. 

So far my observation in this topic of equalizer is that it only creates certain changes in the characteristics of the sound. The equalizer cannot introduce the harmonics lost when the music was converted from analog to digital form. This is where the DAC carry's alot of weight in the presentation of the music.

I guess this entire discussion is also based on the primary genre individuals listen too.   

Oct 20, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #21,027 of 29,013

Of course! When we do headphone calibration, we can account for channel-to-channel AFR differences. The M50x for example have different responses in the low mids, which can cause some instruments to shift in the soundstage, if they happen to occupy the imbalanced region. Correct that and the stage tightens up!

Oct 20, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #21,028 of 29,013

Of course! When we do headphone calibration, we can account for channel-to-channel AFR differences. The M50x for example have different responses in the low mids, which can cause some instruments to shift in the soundstage, if they happen to occupy the imbalanced region. Correct that and the stage tightens up!

Seriously that's fascinating that you can do that with and EQ!!

Oct 20, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #21,029 of 29,013

Taowolf51

Thanks for your heads up on the Peace Equalizer APO. I downloaded the softeware and found it much better for modelling equalizer setting than the program I was using before.

Cheers
Frank

No problem! Peace was a recent discovery and really helped me dial my EQ in. Originally, I was using straight Equalizer APO, where you basically just enter a bunch of values into a text document and hope for the best. 
tongue.gif

It seems that some peopler using those equalizing gear to flatten or modify the sound. How much improvement can be gained? at what expense? Is it easy to do?  

That really depends on you, and how you feel about the HD800's frequency response. What's nice about equalization is that with a little time and fiddling, you can make the frequency response exactly how you want it. To some people, correction is immensely useful, and to others it's not as big of a difference. Personally, I wouldn't want to be without my corrections with my HD800, and I'm definitely going to be using equalization whenever needed in the future.
The expense depends on what you want from it. If you are using a Windows computer, there are a bunch of free options including the Peace/Equalizer APO combo, which is what I use. If you have a mac, usually the plugins cost a bit of money, but nothing crazy (maybe $50). Another option is picking up a MiniDSP and grabbing their parametric EQ plugin, which would cost $110. If you don't have a computer in your signal chain, you would need something physical like the MiniDSP.
Parametric EQ's are a bit confusing at first, but it's not too hard to understand once you start using it (and get a visual representation of what each band is doing). The big benefit of parametric EQ's over traditional graphic EQ's is quality and control. I think it's very worthwhile going down the parametric EQ road rather than graphic EQ if you do decide to try equalization. I have my current EQ settings listed on the bottom post on the last page with little explanations of each, you can use that as a jumping off point if you'd like (or just use part of it).

I do find this headphone world intriguing that many accept the use of an equalizer as a part of the chain of events in the headphone rig. This is certainly the most cheapest form of tweaking to create a sound to cater to each individual. Coming from 2 channel Hifi world I don't think this is a highly acceptable practice of software/hardware equalizers. This is where different school of thoughts apply in how dac/amp/speaker(headphones) have a certain synergy that either works or does not work for the individual. 

I was under the impression that speaker-heads were more accepting of DSP in general (mostly for correcting for room issues)? I guess there are different parties in both groups.

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #21,030 of 29,013

When I had the Concero HD paired with the HD800 the music was pure ultra clean digital sounding. Even with the "Magenta" (first filter) the sound of string instruments did not have a long tail in note decay. "Blue" pure bit mode was very energetic and too digital sounding  for jazzy female vocals. The Concero HD has a house sound of creating a huge "open" soundstage regardless of what is the input. I was using a stello U3 trying to soften and tame the sound and it did help a bit. 

So far my observation in this topic of equalizer is that it only creates certain changes in the characteristics of the sound. The equalizer cannot introduce the harmonics lost when the music was converted from analog to digital form. This is where the DAC carry's alot of weight in the presentation of the music.

I guess this entire discussion is also based on the primary genre individuals listen too.   

I use the second magenta filter (anodizing).   I actually am and have been a fan of the ES9018m2 chip.  I think Resonessence really gets it right.  I agree the soundstage is massive and the mj2 amp with good tubes takes a little edge off the HD800's, but it still haves a lot of punch , and that fits my style.  Also of note, my HD800's are modded.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back