The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #17,896 of 28,992
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -Aldous Huxley

Disregarding the measurements doesn't make them go away. The fact to the matter is, the HD800 is one of the best measuring headphone available while the Philips X2 simply measures like crap.

X2 is a coloured, bass tilting, leaned back and dark headphones, much like the HD650. It is also priced like that, and yes it does sound more "fun". But as you say, it doesn't change the fact that HD800 is a far superior sounding headphones in all technical aspects.

Apr 7, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #17,897 of 28,992

I briefly auditioned an HD 800 two months ago - for comparison I own the LCD-3F, LCD2r1, Beyer T1 and Grado RS1 - and was impressed enough to order a pair. It arrived last week. Hence, my subscription to this thread.

I now regret it
rolleyes.gif

My read: owners and potential owners come here for pointers to the HD 800's character, strengths and weaknesses. Ultimately, potential owners can only decide whether it's the or an hp for them by listening for themselves. Posts from those who have been disappointed by their own, personal listening experiences have no value to this when they fail to offer in-depth analysis of these experiences together with reference points and information about preferences that might help others understand the 'problem'.

And statements describing as 'fakes' or suckers for marketing those who do enjoy this headphone or any other audio gear are way out of line IMHO.

Hey Welcome hear Aidee 
beerchug.gif

What do You regret ? Having bought the HD800 or Subscribed to this thread ? 

Apr 7, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #17,898 of 28,992
Thanks - oops, I meant subscribing to this thread!
Maybe I joined at a bad moment.

Definitely don't regret the HD 800.

Thanks again for the welcome :beerchug:

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #17,900 of 28,992
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UwZkfr4Zjg

Found this on youtube, this girls sings covers of songs, she has something like 20 videos, all of them show her singing while wearing the HD800!
She has a good taste in music( It's a Radiohead cover) and in headphones, but she can't really sing lol.

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #17,901 of 28,992
  In comparison to the Beyerdynamic DT150 the Sennheiser HD800 is way behind in representation quality.
The HD800 adds a significant amount of colour and retains a stage that is far from what could be described as a flat response. 
The price point of these headphones is rather unjustified also.
Guess it's all about the marketing with this model.
Not trolling, just my 2 cents

Those Beyer DT150 are musician favorites.  Not really for their audiophile quality but for isolation as well as good monitors while producing their recordings.  They are marketed all the time and easily bought from musicians websites for under $200.  If you like these, you save yourself a lot of money.
The HD800 is not for everybody.  

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #17,902 of 28,992
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -Aldous Huxley

Disregarding the measurements doesn't make them go away. The fact to the matter is, the HD800 is one of the best measuring headphone available while the Philips X2 simply measures like crap.

Reminds me of another great quote...

"If it measures like crap yet sounds good, then it is good. If it measures well yet sounds like crap, then it is crap and you are measuring the wrong thing."

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #17,903 of 28,992
I'll throw my 2 cents into the ring on the HD800.

Unmodded and/or with an amp that is neutral/bright it is brutal to my ears.

Mod the thing, pair it with a warmish + high end amp, and this headphone scales like crazy into a beast that competes with my modded HE6 for my headfi time.

The Vega DAC feeding a Simaudio 430HA, or WA5, makes the HD800 sing like an angel.

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #17,904 of 28,992
I always wonder, either what kind of music some people listen to or how loud they listen, to call a can like the HD800 brutally bright or state that they could not stand listening to it for more than a few seconds. I don't own the HD800 yet, but I did listen to it for a longer period. I was just fine in all regards, but the price. I listened to it with Brian Bromberg Wood 2 acoustical Jazz btw. from a decent Lehmann amp and a very decent Denon CD player.

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #17,905 of 28,992

Mod the thing, pair it with a warmish + high end amp, and this headphone scales like crazy into a beast that competes with my modded HE6 for my headfi time.

The Vega DAC feeding a Simaudio 430HA, or WA5, makes the HD800 sing like an angel.

The more headphones I really listen to, the more I appreciate my Sennheiser HD 800 headphones with HDVD 800 amp and balanced cable. I LOVE Grados, to the point of buying one of each model (I have them all, plus several vintage - total of 12). They all give you a transparency not found in the Sennheiser, but they have very little bass extension and a sound stage that improves as you go up their line but does not achieve that of the Sennheiser HD 800. I just returned from comparing the HiFiMAN HE-500, HE-560, and HE-400i. The HE-560 came the closest to the HD 800, but there is daylight between them (and a factor of nearly 2 in price difference!). I've listened to the HiFiMAN HE-6 with the top-of-the-line EF-6 amp, the Abyss headphone, and many Audeze LCDs. None achieve the combination of bass, soundstage, treble detail, and comfort of the HD 800.

I hear concerns about fatiguing treble and weak bass. I have to conclude that these are from cases using less--than-ideal amps. I have not noticed these concerns from folks using the Sennheiser HDVD 800 or HDVA 600 amps. I am sure that there are other amps that are even better, though I don't know what they are.

We sometimes hear concern that the design of the HD 800 is over 6 years old and a new flagship is due or is coming. Maybe, but it is to me equally likely that Senneheiser has come close to the end state of headphone / amp combination design, and only minor tweaks remain for others.

Wonder what portable amp caresses the HD 800 as well as the HDVD 800. Perhaps the HiFi M8? Others? Chord Hugo? To me, a portable amp is the only major item left.

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #17,906 of 28,992

Never understood the point of buying a headphone that is analytical and then going out and coloring the sound, then make it sound like other headphones that are already colored. Why not have a clean amp/dac that doesn't color the sound and a hear the headphone the way it was ment to be heard. If you're going to color the sound then buy a headphone that is colored and save money no?

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #17,907 of 28,992
Never understood the point of buying a headphone that are analytical and then going out and coloring the sound the make it sound like other headphones that are already colored. Why not have a clean amp/dac that doesn't color the sound and a hear the headphone the way it was ment to be heard. If you're going to color the sound then buy a headphone that is colored and save money no?

This reminds me of photography forums, where there are two camps: The purist out of camera camp vs. The post processing is okay camp.

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #17,909 of 28,992
  I use the best quality source and the best dac/ amp ,so the problem is not from my source ,it's from the drive of hd 800 which cause loss hearing over time .I believe this .

Then turn the volume down.
Any headphone can cause hearing damage if its turned up to loud.

As for "the best quality source and the best dac/ amp"
this is meaningless without specifics, and maybe meaningless regardless, if the setup is the problem.

So sell the 800's and get something that is better.

That should be easy to do, what with the 800's popularity.

JJ

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #17,910 of 28,992
http://head-fi.org/a/posting-guidelines

DON'T reply If someone makes an off-topic, rude or otherwise inappropriate comment, or a post appears to be trolling or spam. Report it by clicking on the red flag and filling in the box explaining what the problem is and let the moderators take care of it. If something is inappropriate or rude, what is the point of giving it more attention by replying to it and/or quoting it?!? If nobody replies to or comments on a trolling or abusive post 100% of the time the person goes away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back