The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #17,911 of 28,992
  Never understood the point of buying a headphone that are analytical and then going out and coloring the sound the make it sound like other headphones that are already colored. Why not have a clean amp/dac that doesn't color the sound and a hear the headphone the way it was ment to be heard. If you're going to color the sound then buy a headphone that is colored and save money no?

Because I like the comfort and sound of the HD800, except for the treble. The mod fixes the treble problem and leaves me with a comfortable + high performance headphone.

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #17,912 of 28,992
  Never understood the point of buying a headphone that are analytical and then going out and coloring the sound the make it sound like other headphones that are already colored. Why not have a clean amp/dac that doesn't color the sound and a hear the headphone the way it was ment to be heard. If you're going to color the sound then buy a headphone that is colored and save money no?

Quote:

Because I like the comfort and sound of the HD800, except for the treble. The mod fixes the treble problem and leaves me with a comfortable + high performance headphone.

Not to mention that there's a lot more than just frequency response. Is there a headphone out there that has the detail of the HD800? The soundstage? The comfort? All 3?
No, there isn't. The reason people don't go out and get a headphone that's like a "colored" HD800 is because it doesn't exist.

We shouldn't be treating the HD800 as though it's the absolute last word on transparency. It's extremely good in that respect but it absolutely can be made better. Looking at the FR alone, it should have more linear subbass and shouldn't have the 6k spike to start.

Also, why does anyone care what someone else is listening to or doing with the gear they own? No one is holding anyone down and forcing them to listen to an HD800 run on a tube amp or a high feedback O2. Personal enjoyment trumps all, and if someone is happy with something, why hate them for it?

This also brings up another point. How is the HD800 "supposed to be heard"? Is it with a 0 ohm amp so that the headphone FR is modified as little as possible? Is it with the 5 Ohm dark sounding Lehmann BCL that the headphones were first demoed with? Or is with the 16+ ohm HDVD800 that were designed to be used with the HD800 by Sennheiser? Does it even matter?

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #17,913 of 28,992
  This also brings up another point. How is the HD800 "supposed to be heard"? Is it with a 0 ohm amp so that the headphone FR is modified as little as possible? Is it with the 5 Ohm dark sounding Lehmann BCL that the headphones were first demoed with? Or is with the 16+ ohm HDVD800 that were designed to be used with the HD800 by Sennheiser? Does it even matter?

Well, of COURSE the HD 800 is Supposed To Be Heard with a matching amp!

For example, here is my HD 800 and matching amp, the HDVD 800:

And as you can see, I went one better and made sure I was also using a matching cable!

Oh, and for mobile listening, I also have a Matching Car:

You're welcome!

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #17,914 of 28,992
  Well, of COURSE the HD 800 is Supposed To Be Heard with a matching amp!

For example, here is my HD 800 and matching amp, the HDVD 800:

And as you can see, I went one better and made sure I was also using a matching cable!

You're welcome

Yes, but does it sound better that way?? 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #17,915 of 28,992
Apr 7, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #17,916 of 28,992
Not to mention that there's a lot more than just frequency response. Is there a headphone out there that has the detail of the HD800? The soundstage? The comfort? All 3?
No, there isn't. The reason people don't go out and get a headphone that's like a "colored" HD800 is because it doesn't exist.

We shouldn't be treating the HD800 as though it's the absolute last word on transparency. It's extremely good in that respect but it absolutely can be made better. Looking at the FR alone, it should have more linear subbass and shouldn't have the 6k spike to start.

Also, why does anyone care what someone else is listening to or doing with the gear they own? No one is holding anyone down and forcing them to listen to an HD800 run on a tube amp or a high feedback O2. Personal enjoyment trumps all, and if someone is happy with something, why hate them for it?

Touché, I never thought about it in that light. That does indeed make sense. I guess sound is much more subjective then say video, calman chats are pretty straight forward and either the color is right or wrong.

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #17,917 of 28,992
All this talk about what the HD800 should sound like and what amp, OpAmps, Tubes, SS Discrete, DAC Chips is all irrelevant.  Really now, it's how the HD800 sounds to you.  Although, personally I wouldn't even consider an O2, really, who gives frack? The HD800 is still one of be best headphones on the market and how you enjoy it is totally up to you. Who are we to judge each others preferences? We can make recommendations based on our own experiences and preferences.

Here's my HD800 journey in pictures and to be honest, each system has its merits and I finally settled on the McIntosh to drive my HD800. Are any of them wrong? No. Are any of the perfect? No.  I still have the Vali (with the AD Dragonfly v1.2) and Naim DAC-V1. DAC/AMP combos ranging from under $300 to over $5K Canadian.  Enjoy them all.  No right or wrong. The HD800 still sound like the HD800 +/- various based on DAC/AMP/Source.  The moral of the story, just enjoy the HD800. If you don't, move on.
/ENDRANT

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #17,918 of 28,992
  All this talk about what the HD800 should sound like and what amp, OpAmps, Tubes, SS Discrete, DAC Chips is all irrelevant.  Really now, it's how the HD800 sounds to you.  Although, personally I wouldn't even consider an O2, really, who gives frack? The HD800 is still one of be best headphones on the market and how you enjoy it is totally up to you. Who are we to judge each others preferences? We can make recommendations based on our own experiences and preferences.

+1.

I know what works for me (modded HD800 + Vega + 430HA or WA5). That might, or might not, work for someone else.

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #17,919 of 28,992
I can only afford the Vali so you made me feel good.
Thanks ^_^

Here's my HD800 journey in pictures and to be honest, each system has its merits and I finally settled on the McIntosh to drive my HD800. Are any of them wrong? No. Are any of the perfect? No.  I still have the Vali (with the AD Dragonfly v1.2) and Naim DAC-V1. DAC/AMP combos ranging from under $300 to over $5K Canadian.  Enjoy them all.  No right or wrong. The HD800 still sound like the HD800 +/- various based on DAC/AMP/Source.  The moral of the story, just enjoy the HD800. If you don't, move on.
/ENDRANT

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #17,920 of 28,992
 I'll throw my 2 cents into the ring on the HD800.

Unmodded and/or with an amp that is neutral/bright it is brutal to my ears.

Mod the thing, pair it with a warmish + high end amp, and this headphone scales like crazy into a beast that competes with my modded HE6 for my headfi time.

The Vega DAC feeding a Simaudio 430HA, or WA5, makes the HD800 sing like an angel.

Never understood the point of buying a headphone that is analytical and then going out and coloring the sound, then make it sound like other headphones that are already colored. Why not have a clean amp/dac that doesn't color the sound and a hear the headphone the way it was ment to be heard. If you're going to color the sound then buy a headphone that is colored and save money no?

Couldn't agree more. I have an amp / dac that is completely transparent (benchmark dac1 usb). I never need to worry about the amp or dac anymore to drive any non electrostatic headphone . I've even got an end game dac for the day I finally get an electrostatic to add to the collection. My money can go toward the most important thing in this hobby, the headphones themselves !! And the more the merrier! they will all be complimentary though because I'm yet to be convinced that anything out there is a hands Down HD800 upgrade.
Edit: I once fell into the trap of thinking the Hd800 would sound better with a 'coloured/ synegised' amp so I brought the HDVD800. It is an excellent amp but it sounded the same as the benchmark dac1 yet I couldn't run all possible future headphones or my iems from it due to its 43 ohm output impedance.

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #17,921 of 28,992
Humm so you like the HD800 with the DAC1 as DAC/amp?
Because some people claim that the DAC1 sounds exactly like an O2+ODAC and they hate it with the HD800.
Couldn't agree more. I have an amp / dac that is completely transparent (benchmark dac1 usb). I never need to worry about the amp or dac anymore to drive any non electrostatic headphone . I've even got an end game dac for the day I finally get an electrostatic to add to the collection. My money can go toward the most important thing in this hobby, the headphones themselves !! And the more the merrier! they will all be complimentary though because I'm yet to be convinced that anything out there is a hands Down HD800 upgrade.
Edit: I once fell into the trap of thinking the Hd800 would sound better with a 'coloured/ synegised' amp so I brought the HDVD800. It is an excellent amp but it sounded the same as the benchmark dac1 yet I couldn't run all possible future headphones or my iems from it due to its 43 ohm output impedance.

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #17,922 of 28,992
I also have the DAC1 and HDVA 600 and to me, amp-wise they sound nothing like one and another. YMMV, but IMO HD800 sounds simply harsh driven by the DAC1.

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #17,923 of 28,992
I also have the DAC1 and HDVA 600 and to me, amp-wise they sound nothing like one and another. YMMV, but IMO HD800 sounds simply harsh driven by the DAC1.

i thought they sounded different too but I decided to take my bias out of the equation and got the mrs to switch them up with back turned and access to digital volume only. Not exactly the most controlled test and it was flawed obviously ( volume matching to name one fault) but I couldn't confidently say which was Which trying several tracks . It was an eye opener to me so I soon sold the hdvd800! Sighted I swore the hdvd800 sounded better with hd800 !

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #17,924 of 28,992
^ Interesting. Experiencing different perceptions under different experimental conditions (sighted versus unsighted), you dispensed with the one that "sounded better".

Did you find sighted listening no longer worked to enhance your experience?

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #17,925 of 28,992
I honestly thought the difference was pretty big, I even went balanced and thought that made even more of a difference. Then when I was unable to see which on I was listening to that difference became very hard to detect . It was a similar experience when I first did ABX tests with flac vs 256 aac. I had convinced a friend that I could definitely hear lossless vs lossy and I stepped up to the challenge because it was so obvious ...... I failed miserably using an ABX software for Mac . The bottom line is , and of course to keep it on topic , is my experience with the hd800 is that it's not as picky with amps as many here suggest. Members like pearl jam have been scared off from owning hd800 because they have been led to belive they need an uber expensive amp to make it worth owning , and as a result they either don't buy them or worry to much to enjoy them with their equipment . I Was the same and I spent a lot of money trying to get the most out of the hd800 to then realise in the end it didn't take that much at all. I want others to not make the same mistakes I made and to just enjoy these awesome cans!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back