The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #17,341 of 29,013
  I'm gonna play a quick game of "Is it just me or everyone?" (all in the name of fun, people).

Is it just me or does everyone have a problem when they see it written "HD800" vs the correct "HD 800"? Same with "HD600", "HD700", and so on. I'm way too much of a stickler for syntax and nomenclature.

Not just you... it is me, too!  It is So CONFUSING!  

I became sensitized to this when I compiled a database of a year's worth of results of people ranking their own headphones, here:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/721406/how-we-rank-our-own-headphones-statistics-of-2-000-owner-rankings-compiled#post_10597847

For the database to allow retrieval, separate entries of the same headphone model had to be typed the same way.

I ended up paying careful attention to how the manufacturer wrote the headphone model.  Hence it is Sennheiser HD 800 (not HD800 or HD-800), but it is HiFiMAN HE-500 (not HiFiMan HE 500 or HiFiMAN HE500).

And to celebrate posts subsequent to roguegeeks ("Two write!"), and in celebration of National Grammar Day, which was two days ago, I offer (typed from memory, not cut and pasted)...

Be careful of your grammar!
Don't let nobody find
You ain't been taught
How you had ought
To speak what's on your mind.

I never knowed nobody
What wouldn't have their speech
Improved a lot
By learning what
Them grammars have to teach.

Them grammar books will learn you
How English should be spoke,
So you won't make
No rude mistake
Like crude uncultured folk!

Don't NEVER talk like they do!
There ain't no reason why
You cannot be
As smart as me
Nor learn to talk like I!

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #17,343 of 29,013
  ^ I fink dat's a bit of orrite.

Poser
wink_face.gif

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #17,346 of 29,013
I'm gonna play a quick game of "Is it just me or everyone?" (all in the name of fun, people).

Is it just me or does everyone have a problem when they see it written "HD800" vs the correct "HD 800"? Same with "HD600", "HD700", and so on. I'm way too much of a stickler for syntax and nomenclature.

I must admit that mistakes with syntax or spelling bother me more than just a little but I've so far refrained from commenting as I can never be sure that my own writing is completely free of such Gremlins. As long as we are communicating clearly, I just as soon let it go.

Let those without a sin cast the first stone.

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #17,347 of 29,013
I must admit that mistakes with syntax or spelling bother me more than just a little but I've so far refrained from commenting as I can never be sure that my own writing is completely free of such Gremlins. As long as we are communicating clearly, I just as soon let it go.

Let those without a sin cast the first stone.

Also worth remembering that for some folks English is not their first language.

I do sometimes grit my teeth a little at the rampant misuse of "your" rather than the correct abbreviation "you're" for "you are", but these are tiny OCD blips on the HeadFi road and not worth worrying about. Much rather spend time on amps and headphones and tubes and other such audio goodness.

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #17,348 of 29,013
It's helpful to use the spell checker, grammer tests, and readbility index calculators that often appear on our laptops or on line.

I am such a poor speller that any success I have in spelling things right is...

Owed to a Spell Chequer

I halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plane lee marques four my revue
Miss steaks aye ken knot sea

Eye ran this poem threw it
Your sure reel glad two no
It's vary polished in it's weigh
My chequer tolled me sew

A chequer is a bless sing
It freeze yew lodes of thyme
It helps me awl stiles two reed
And aides mi when aye rime

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should be proud
And wee mussed dew the best wee can
Sew flaws are knot aloud

And now bee cause my spelling
is checked with such grate flare
Their are know faults with in my cite
Of nun eye am a wear

Each frays come posed up on my screen
Eye trussed to be a joule
The chequer poured o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule

That's why aye brake in two averse
My righting wants too pleas
Sow now ewe sea wye aye dew prays
Such soft wear for pea seas

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #17,350 of 29,013
Also worth remembering that for some folks English is not their first language.

I do sometimes grit my teeth a little at the rampant misuse of "your" rather than the correct abbreviation "you're" for "you are", but these are tiny OCD blips on the HeadFi road and not worth worrying about. Much rather spend time on amps and headphones and tubes and other such audio goodness.

English is my third language. This could mean that I have less time to acquire bad habits so I have less excuse for poor writing :)

Back at the ranch, the temperature in Houston dipped to just below freezing last night. I had both the Woo WA5--alas sans Elrogs--and the Class-A Pass Aleph both turned on for additional heat while listening to the HD 800 and TH-900. Life is good!

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #17,351 of 29,013
English is my third language. This could mean that I have less time to acquire bad habits so I have less excuse for poor writing :)

Back at the ranch, the temperature in Houston dipped to just below freezing last night. I had both the Woo WA5--alas sans Elrogs--and the Class-A Pass Aleph both turned on for additional heat while listening to the HD 800 and TH-900. Life is good!

Some of the most correct and precise English I have ever heard came from a bunch Swedes I was working with on a project many years ago.

They were trained by English tutors and spoke an upper crust Oxford English absolutely perfectly. Really surprised me when they broke into fluent Svenska - they spoke English far, far better than I do (or ever will). For them it was a second, or third, language.

If you want heat get yourself an 845 based SET amp. 200W of Class A goodness that will warm a medium sized room easily. Brutal in summer, great in winter.

Mar 7, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #17,354 of 29,013
  Well to get back on topic, here is a very unique look at the HD 800s.

And yes, this is a real X-ray of the left HD 800 driver and housing. 

OK... How about an X-ray of someone while they're listening to  the HD 800

On a serious note I'm wondering if should open up that tiny connector chamber & put a little AVM on those wire leads....couldn't
hurt I suppose ! The more I think about it I'm pretty certain I'll probably get the "ALO" headphone cable I'm using with them "straight wired" directly to them

(Now what did I do with that bottle of "AVM" ?; This stuff has always worked pretty well on anything I've tried it on)

YMMV
~steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back