The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 7, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #17,356 of 29,013
  @knowhatimean: What do you mean by "AVM"?

It's a product called "Anti Vibrational Magic" by Uniko. Google it !

There are a number of testimonials that, after having used this on a few occasions, don't doubt the sincerity of.

I have little doubt that the Beyerdynamic A1 headphone wouldn't work as well as it's been with my HD 800 if it weren't for the fact that I'd painted all of it's capacitors with it a few years ago (The A1 was at best a "mediocre" headphone amp: It's now better; not as good as the Burson Soloist I was using, but it will work until I get a "real" headphone amp !)

(It's a shame I used most of the "AVM" up before I'd gotten the Soloist)

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #17,358 of 29,013
Sounds like snake oil to me.

If it makes an audible difference in A/B testing (preferably blind A/B testing) then I say go for it and enjoy.

I am yet to hear an audible difference due to changes in any of the following:
  1. Speaker cables
  2. Interconnects (RCA or XLR)
  3. USB cables
  4. Power cables
  5. Headphone cables

Some folks claim they can hear changes in SQ by changes any of the above - good luck to them - I'm just not one of them.

I would expect a 10 times or greater difference in price for any of the above components to produce an audible difference, as it does for DACs or amps or tubes or speakers - it never has for me in the slightest. I cannot hear any difference between a $5 USB cable and a $300 USB cable, so I save myself the $295 and use the $5 cable. YMMV.

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #17,359 of 29,013
Generally advanced tweeks are the last part of massaging a top end chain. It could be as simple as "These awesome silver cables look incredible!" or it may add to your sonic pleasure. I certainly would not start there.

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #17,360 of 29,013

If it makes an audible difference in A/B testing (preferably blind A/B testing) then I say go for it and enjoy.

1. Speaker cables
  2. Interconnects (RCA or XLR)
  3. USB cables
  4. Power cables
  5. Headphone cables

Some folks claim they can hear changes in SQ by changes any of the above - good luck to them - I'm just not one of them.

I would expect a 10 times or greater difference in price for any of the above components to produce an audible difference, as it does for DACs or amps or tubes or speakers - it never has for me in the slightest. I cannot hear any difference between a $5 USB cable and a $300 USB cable, so I save myself the $295 and use the $5 cable. YMMV.

+1000

And for the price that some pay for headphone cables, one could buy a new amp or DAC. 

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #17,361 of 29,013
  • Speaker cables
  • Interconnects (RCA or XLR)
  • USB cables
  • Power cables
  • Headphone cables

+1001
I will buy some of these things if I want better, more robust CONSTRUCTION, but that's about it.

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #17,362 of 29,013
+1001
I will buy some of these things if I want better, more robust CONSTRUCTION, but that's about it.

+1.

I bought some nice ALO cables for my TOTL headphones (HE6 / HD800 / LCD-X) - not for any SQ benefit but for increased length and comfort/convenience. I A/B swap between stock and custom cables from time to time - no audible difference I can hear.

I have some nice XLR interconnects that cost around $80 a pair. I like them because they are very solid and well made. I cannot hear any sonic difference when using these or $5 RCA interconnects between my Vega DAC and 430HA headamp/preamp (but that isn't why I purchased them in the first place).

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #17,363 of 29,013
I do envy anyone who can't hear the difference in cable. It will certainly make life easier by eliminating a few extra options of trying cables. I found the difference in cables are small (and MAYBE not worth the price), but noticeable. The audiophile in me certainly would like to try them to improve the overall setup, eventhough not cost effective at all.

I found bigger improvement on source, amp and even on transport, which include tinkering on usb port (Paul Pang make a nice one). In the past two years, the nicest improvement that I experienced actually when I upgraded my noisy computer to passively cooled custom pc with external linear power supply. The difference in sq in total setup was big, bigger than upgrading my dac from ref5 to ref7. Similar difference imo when I upgraded from soloist to stratus.

So I guess, cables do make improvement. But on overall setup, maybe small and not cost effective for sure. If someone can't hear it, it's even better. Save money to upgrading amp, dac even transport. And if someone can't hear the difference in amp, dac or transport, well... that's even better, I will envy and jealous of you.

Mar 7, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #17,364 of 29,013
So I guess, cables do make improvement. But on overall setup, maybe small and not cost effective for sure. If someone can't hear it, it's even better. Save money to upgrading amp, dac even transport. And if someone can't hear the difference in amp, dac or transport, well... that's even better, I will envy and jealous of you.

If cable improvements work for you, then go for it and enjoy
smile.gif
It's all about finding the rig that works best for your tastes and your ears.

I can hear a clear difference in my setup between my old integrated amp (Cambridge Audio Azur 650A) and my new power amp costing approx 10 times as much (Accuphase P-4200), but I can't hear any difference at all between cheap cables and those costing 10 or 20 or 50 times as much. I have tried and tried in A/B testing, but always come up with nothing. Might be my defective hearing. Either way, I'm happy to spend less on cables and more on other things like amps / DACs / tubes / speakers / headphones.

To each their own
beerchug.gif

Mar 7, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #17,365 of 29,013
If cable improvements work for you, then go for it and enjoy :smile: It's all about finding the rig that works best for your tastes and your ears.

I can hear a clear difference in my setup between my old integrated amp (Cambridge Audio Azur 650A) and my new power amp costing approx 10 times as much (Accuphase P-4200), but I can't hear any difference at all between cheap cables and those costing 10 or 20 or 50 times as much. I have tried and tried in A/B testing, but always come up with nothing. Might be my defective hearing. Either way, I'm happy to spend less on cables and more on other things like amps / DACs / tubes / speakers / headphones.

To each their own :beerchug:

No, you don't defective hearing and I do seriously envy you :beerchug:

And Accuphase ... Nice ... :smile:

Mar 7, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #17,366 of 29,013
And Accuphase ... Nice ...
smile.gif

I love mine. Combines warmth, musicality and detail - similar in way to what the Vega DAC does (which it pairs well with). Accuphase are a bit of a niche player, but worth an audition if you like a rich sound (almost tube like).

Mar 7, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #17,367 of 29,013

I love mine. Combines warmth, musicality and detail - similar in way to what the Vega DAC does (which it pairs well with). Accuphase are a bit of a niche player, but worth an audition if you like a rich sound (almost tube like).

I've demo one Accuphase, but forgot it's model number and with speaker. And it's one of the good demo experience. Same with Vega DAC. One of the good DAC in my book. It's my fav DAC everytime I auditioned amp and headphone at my local shop, A2A Melbourne.

Mar 7, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #17,369 of 29,013
Hmmm... I had debated making any mention of the "possibilities" that "I" saw for "potentially" bringing the HD 800 more inline with
being more of a "High-End" Audio Component to "myself" (It appears that I will have to preface everything with, "I", or "myself" &
end each posting with "YMMV")

Honestly, I've been at this hobby for over thirty years & while many of you don't appear to view applying "Tweeks" nearly as freely as I do , I would never suggest something that I felt was "snake oil" to anyone. I would only suggest things that I've had some "personal success" with ! It may be that I've become a bit "thinner skinned" as I've gotten older so I'm less than "thrilled" that anyone would suggest I was "recommending" "snake oil"

I really don't view a lot of things that I routinely do when I add a component to my playback chain such as various cables,, power cords, etc. as doing anymore than giving the new component any "advantage" that I can. Every component is built to a price point.The only reason some components may realistically be considered TOTL equipment might just be because better passive parts were used in the design & as a result it isn't as necessary to provide these components with some of the steps you take with "lesser"(& It's not by much) equipment.

If I had "deeper pockets" or a different system building attitude of "I won't concern myself with certain things until I have my "End Game" system in place !" I wouldn't bother with a lot that I do . I'm much more interested in getting the "most" I can from any "Incarnation" of my playback system that I may be putting together gradually !

So I don't forget !!!
YMMV (Who am I kidding !).... YMDV
~steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back