The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #16,621 of 28,989
Great post and you already know about your wallet.....

What is this thing about the wallet? (started with a bravo amp and a pair of m50, a year and a half after I own a Taurus with hd800):-D

Feb 1, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #16,622 of 28,989
I would keep an eye on a brand new amp from Feliks Audio (Elise, $499), which seems to be a great bargain and combines the very nice 6SN7 and 6AS7 or 6080 tubes. The tube combination was inspired by Head-fi and evolved out of a Little Dot tube rolling thread. So far, the amp has proven itself to the thread starter who has a prototype already. He uses T1s, not HD800s, but I imagine it would suit the HD800 very well too. Here is the thread.

Feb 1, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #16,623 of 28,989
I am glad you enjoy your HD800.   

I should get mine next week and I already have it's WyWire red BALANCED cable :)

I hope that the "soft" Tube Signature of my Tube Amps  will allow to avoid to MOD the HD800.

All those 3 guys are waiting for the new comer :)

I wonder how the TUR-06 ($870USD) flair up against the up coming woo audio w8 ($1500USD)

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #16,625 of 28,989

Battle of the giants!   I hate to part with my alpha primes, but the HD800s are just that good and papa needs a tube amp.
You think it's ok to keep both sets of cans?!?!?!?!?!   mhahahahah
Honestly, the Primes are still better for less than high fidelity recordings, which makes up the majority of my rock CD collection.

Who cares about my kids' college education?  It's more fun collecting high end gear.  Notice the old McIntosh 275 valve amp lurking in the background.  :)

Mach3 - I would definitely skip the mod.  It really does tame the treble but to my ears some of the magic is lost.  You know that vinyl sizzle you only get from a turntable, a sound the HD800s manage to emulate.  They just don't capture it quite as well when modded.
(the felt was ripped on removal) 

I bet tubes will do the trick, works great for bright speakers like Amphions.

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #16,626 of 28,989
For one thing, it can claim a kind of bitter victory for having its design completely ripped off by Woo.

For one thing, it can claim a kind of bitter victory for having its design completely ripped off by Woo.

Battle of the giants!   I hate to part with my alpha primes, but the HD800s are just that good and papa needs a tube amp.
You think it's ok to keep both sets of cans?!?!?!?!?!   mhahahahah
Honestly, the Primes are still better for less than high fidelity recordings, which makes up the majority of my rock CD collection.

Who cares about my kids' college education?  It's more fun collecting high end gear.  Notice the old McIntosh 275 valve amp lurking in the background.  :)

Mach3 - I would definitely skip the mod.  It really does tame the treble but to my ears some of the magic is lost.  You know that vinyl sizzle you only get from a turntable, a sound the HD800s manage to emulate.  They just don't capture it quite as well when modded.
(the felt was ripped on removal) 

I actually don't experience lost in micro detail with the mod. However, with my mod I used suede instead of felt.

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #16,627 of 28,989
Yup. it seems material and precise positionning matter a lot with the Anax mod. Not tester myself though. Moreover the last iteration does not look anymore like the one we can see on IF.

Many people have worked on their own to create their own "anax mod" after testing.

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #16,628 of 28,989
I actually don't experience lost in micro detail with the mod. However, with my mod I used suede instead of felt.

The version #2 used shelf or rug liner material.
I used the shelf liner and thought it was the best of the lot, of that series.

It tends to be a bit tricky to fit, but once done, works rather well.

JJ

Feb 2, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #16,629 of 28,989
I wonder if a self adhesive ring of sorbothane around the driver would not do the trick...

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #16,632 of 28,989
Many people have worked on their own to create their own "anax mod" after testing.

Material matters the most in my trials and the ® Creatology is hard to track down in my country. Any random soft thing doesn't work. I tried many damping materials (hard felt, glass-fiber tape, polyurethane sponge, micro-bore sponge) of which only one provided overall improvement. That is the micro spore material (unknown, cutout from Schwarzkopf shower-bag). 
Has anyone tried some purpose built acoustic material for the metal ring, of the likes used for early reflection damping for speaker rigs?

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #16,633 of 28,989
The main problem is avery modder who try to make his own mod can try whatever they want . They do not have anaxilus ears . That's why I'm positionned for the Anax V3.0 kit. with a genuine kit ,I'll be able to evaluate properly the benefit of the mod for my own ears and choose knowingly what I really prefer .

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #16,635 of 28,989
Aren't you guys affraid to damage the HD800 when you mod it?

Most mods, if carefully applied, can be easily reversed and returned to stock without any such damage. The only danger with the Anax mod is some glue residue if the mod is removed. Even the residue can be carefully removed if necessary. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back