The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #16,606 of 28,992
I thought making a closed HD800 would be fun, but turned out taking too much time and money. This is for sure not the final version yet.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/752877/3d-printed-closed-headphones-with-hd800-driver#post_11271199

The first prototype in rosewood CNCed by Calico88.

The final version (until now), 3D printed.

THe closed headphones with HD800 driver and my old custom T50rp

omg!

I've totally already commented in other threads that I think a closed back version of the hd800 would be so great!

I hope Sennheiser are reading your thread!! :)

Jan 30, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #16,607 of 28,992
@frank2908 oh man !,m this is beautiful. ! closed HD800, I've always dreamed about Sony R10 clone :)
How's the sound relative to the original HD800 ?

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #16,608 of 28,992
I jumped in the train: just ordered a HD800 to go with my Eddie Curent 445 tube amp. :)

( this HD800 will be my first OPEN Back headphone and a nice complement to my 2 closed back headphone: TH900 and ED5 )

I have already received my WyWire Red Balanced câble for hD800

:D

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #16,609 of 28,992
  @frank2908 oh man !,m this is beautiful. ! closed HD800, I've always dreamed about Sony R10 clone :)
How's the sound relative to the original HD800 ?

Click on the link to see more detail of my build and quic impression compared to the original

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #16,610 of 28,992
I jumped in the train: just ordered a HD800 to go with my Eddie Curent 445 tube amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

( this HD800 will be my first OPEN Back headphone and a nice complement to my 2 closed back headphone: TH900 and ED5 )

I have already received my WyWire Red Balanced câble for hD800

biggrin.gif

What a beautiful amp...the HD800 should be heavenly with that.....congrats

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #16,611 of 28,992

AND then they go say Beats Studio Wireless as the best bluetooth set for $380!!!

a $40 Bludio H+ turbine will probably sound as good if not better 
rolleyes.gif

and the PENDULUMIC Stance S1+ will BLOW Beats Studio Wireless AWAY when it comes to fidelity!
Though the Beats have a hump in the bass so they're weightier there...

man, I also HATE when they announce "Best ____ of 2015" dude, how long into the year are we?!?!?

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #16,612 of 28,992
  I thought making a closed HD800 would be fun, but turned out taking too much time and money. This is for sure not the final version yet.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/752877/3d-printed-closed-headphones-with-hd800-driver#post_11271199

The first prototype in rosewood CNCed by Calico88.

The final version (until now), 3D printed.

THe closed headphones with HD800 driver and my old custom T50rp

VERY cool!!!!

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #16,613 of 28,992
Does anyone have experience with the Audio GD NFB-28 with the HD800? I have that itch ... and I would like to try balanced maybe or at least heave that option.

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #16,615 of 28,992
Thanks icebear. That is the thread that raised my attention on it. I just read through the entire thread but I only saw one, maybe two posts about it's pairing with the HD800. I recall they were good together but not the best.

I don't have a lot of experience with different combinations to compare with. I will have to do more testing but I do know that in comparing MBAir -> FiiO E17 -> Little Dot II -> HD800 was too warm for my taste. I much prefer the sound coming out of MBAir -> Line Magnetic 502 CA -> LM Mini 218 IA -> HD800.

I like the flexibility of the NFB-28: SE and Balnced; somewhat transportable; Sabre chip; pre-amp; can work as DAC only; can work as amp only; remote control option; quality parts; other options...

Feb 1, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #16,616 of 28,992
Does anyone have experience with the Audio GD NFB-28 with the HD800? I have that itch ... and I would like to try balanced maybe or at least heave that option.

I had NFB-10SE (wolfson). As a DAC it plays fine for the money it costs, but as he's a bad amp )). Do you get two, or three factors: itch Sabre chip + brightness 800 (their nature is bright, with stock cable) + amp NFB-28. I don't think you have a good sound

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #16,617 of 28,992
I am new to the site and this is my first post.  I just purchased a pair of hd800s to compare and contrast against my Mr. Speakers Alpha Primes.  I know, you really can't find a more different sounding comparison.  Just had to do it given all the divergent views on the HD800s.  I personally love my Alpha Primes, they do everything well and are never fatiguing.  So enter the HD800s...  at first I hated them... too bright, where's the bass??  (need to say it in the "where's the beef voice").  Really, 1500 dollars for this.

You all know where I'm going with this.  After spending some time with the HD800s I started hearing detail the Primes just don't capture, maybe all the presumed brightness is just detail?  Well actually they ARE bright but I started to not mind, just had to turn the volume down a bit.  The next observation is the wide sound stage, it's quite breathtaking. (shorn scrotum good).  The bass seems limited, of course it is compared to the Primes, I guess an advantage all planar magnetics enjoy. 

How about the Anaxilus mod?  Hell yeah, couldn't wait to pull off the dust covers and get to work.  2 bucks worth of supplies from Michaels and a few x-acto blades later I was modded-up.  Discernible difference!  That 6kz bump that was tearing up my tympanic membranes was gone.  I ran to tell my wife who looked at me like I was nuts and proceeded to hit me with a few honey-dos.  I should have known she wouldn't care about the mod, sorry Anaxilus.  I eventually shed the mod pads finding they help with treble but partly reduced that "ethereal" life the HD800s exude.  I guess you don't get something for nothing.  One has to figure the German engineers had a reason for that resonant metal ring.

Here's my set-up.  PC FLAC to Audio Lab mDAC to a Lehmann black cube amp.

Yes I know... I need tubes.  Working on it as we speak.

Great to be on the site and appreciate all the wonderful reviews and commentary critical in helping me eventually get into headphones.

The Alpha primes will be on Audiogon soon unless a buddy buys them also the Lehmann so I can fund a decent tube amp.

I have a great picture but the site won't let me upload it.  oh well.

thanks - Steve

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #16,618 of 28,992
I am new to the site and this is my first post.  I just purchased a pair of hd800s to compare and contrast against my Mr. Speakers Alpha Primes.  I know, you really can't find a more different sounding comparison.  Just had to do it given all the divergent views on the HD800s.  I personally love my Alpha Primes, they do everything well and are never fatiguing.  So enter the HD800s...  at first I hated them... too bright, where's the bass??  (need to say it in the "where's the beef voice").  Really, 1500 dollars for this.

You all know where I'm going with this.  After spending some time with the HD800s I started hearing detail the Primes just don't capture, maybe all the presumed brightness is just detail?  Well actually they ARE bright but I started to not mind, just had to turn the volume down a bit.  The next observation is the wide sound stage, it's quite breathtaking. (shorn scrotum good).  The bass seems limited, of course it is compared to the Primes, I guess an advantage all planar magnetics enjoy. 

How about the Anaxilus mod?  Hell yeah, couldn't wait to pull off the dust covers and get to work.  2 bucks worth of supplies from Michaels and a few x-acto blades later I was modded-up.  Discernible difference!  That 6kz bump that was tearing up my tympanic membranes was gone.  I ran to tell my wife who looked at me like I was nuts and proceeded to hit me with a few honey-dos.  I should have known she wouldn't care about the mod, sorry Anaxilus.  I eventually shed the mod pads finding they help with treble but partly reduced that "ethereal" life the HD800s exude.  I guess you don't get something for nothing.  One has to figure the German engineers had a reason for that resonant metal ring.

Here's my set-up.  PC FLAC to Audio Lab mDAC to a Lehmann black cube amp.

Great to be on the site and appreciate all the wonderful reviews and commentary critical in helping me eventually get into headphones.

The Alpha primes will be on Audiogon soon unless a buddy buys them also the Lehmann so I can fund a decent tube amp.

I have a great picture but the site won't let me upload it.  oh well.

thanks - Steve

Great post and you already know about your wallet.....

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #16,619 of 28,992
Yeah, tell me about it!

My next quest is finding the right tube amp and eventually a better DAC.   Talk about expensive!

I started looking at the various brands out there... and their associated cost.  For kicks I email Woo Audio asking if my HD800s and I could get away with the "modestly priced" WA6-SEs.  The response was that I could.... but..... I'd be WAY BETTER OFF with the WA5-LE which approaches 4K depending on tubes and upgrades.  GROAN!

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #16,620 of 28,992

I am glad you enjoy your HD800.   

I should get mine next week and I already have it's WyWire red BALANCED cable :)

I hope that the "soft" Tube Signature of my Tube Amps  will allow to avoid to MOD the HD800.

All those 3 guys are waiting for the new comer :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back