The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #16,531 of 29,017
The Dynahi is a DIY amp. It pretty much a GSX MK II with more grunt.

I googled for this amp but can't find where I buy.

This look 100000x times better than gsxmkii. Never was a fan of gsx. This is Just WoW.

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #16,532 of 29,017

This look 100000x times better than gsxmkii. Never was a fan of gsx. This is Just WoW.

really? my Dynahi looks positively ghetto in comparo with the gorgeous stuff that Headamp makes. wish i can afford Justin's amps but im just a poor Calgarian cowboy! LOLsss

being only available on a DIY basis, im afriad u'd have to scout for a used one or commission someone to build it. cant say if a Dynahi's a great amp but it is the best amp ive heard. 

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #16,533 of 29,017

Totally agree with Canadian on the aesthetics of that dynahi.  You've got a real gem there scottie.  Dynahi is a lot more rare and a lot harder to source and build than the dynalo derivatives that headamp sells.  If memory serves, this one is a fallenangel build (all his stuff is gorgeous imo) that used to belong to Shahrose.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/656268/fallenangel-gilmore-dynahi-gilmore-psu  

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #16,534 of 29,017
  oh, unfortunately: 
wink.gif

It's unfortunate - as this is a wonderfully full-bodied, dynamically-charged headphone amp prototype from Exemplar Audio!
Tubes (4 - just sent an email to find out which tubes) - BUT: They asked me to beta the thing, and I told them the "box needs to shrink,
it's HUGE - but they wanna keep it BIG so it matches their stereo components in a rack.

I said you guys think the people after this kinda product are gonna put it in their stereo rack, and use a 10-20ft headphone cables??
I don't think so - its supposed to be a "desk-top headphone amp" - and I can't see this behemoth on a desk... you?

And it really does sound DAMN good,
but not sure they're gonna change the chassis!!

I can HOPE

its also GREAT w/ my HD800s

and Zoe Mercer LOVED it..
beerchug.gif

Where there's a will there's a way:

beerchug.gif

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #16,535 of 29,017
Should I get the iFi Micro iDSD or the Resonessence Labs Concero HP for driving the HD800 on the go (not portable, but like on a trip or at a show or in a family member or friend's house)? Also, which one sounds better with the HD800?

Also, any portable case recommendations for the HD800?

Jan 25, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #16,539 of 29,017
  Should I get the iFi Micro iDSD or the Resonessence Labs Concero HP for driving the HD800 on the go (not portable, but like on a trip or at a show or in a family member or friend's house)? Also, which one sounds better with the HD800?

The ifi iDSD Micro is awesome with the HD800's. I have not heard the Concero. I am also looking for the right sized case.

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #16,540 of 29,017

The  Pelican Micro Case 1060 is very fine for the micro iDSD (for HD800 see yates7592 recommendation):

And the HD800 and the iDSD is a match for heaven
wink_face.gif

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #16,541 of 29,017

Totally agree with Canadian on the aesthetics of that dynahi.  You've got a real gem there scottie.  Dynahi is a lot more rare and a lot harder to source and build than the dynalo derivatives that headamp sells.  If memory serves, this one is a fallenangel build (all his stuff is gorgeous imo) that used to belong to Shahrose.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/656268/fallenangel-gilmore-dynahi-gilmore-psu  

yup this Dynahi was Shahrose's end-game amp. have dealt with Shahrose a (long)while before so i do have confidence in his ears but i still pm'd him back & forth for a bit as i must admit i was more than a tad apprenhensive on matching a SS to the highly strung HD800s. was looking a used Cavalli LF as the same time s well so the decision wasnt easy. though we're from the great white north, we're still separated by a continent so personal auditions were impossible on both amps.

finally took a leap of faith & snagged up the Dynahi based on Shahrose's tastes, KG's amp design brilliance & also cos i dont want the hassles (&expense) of tube amps & all that entails. just want something to plug&play. glad to say i wasnt disappointed. to my ears, the Dynahi examplifies wire-with-gain bringing forth all the best of the HD800 (&T1) including amazing clarity, transparency & palpable bass in speed, defination, depth & yes, even slam when the material has it. as repeated in my other post, the Dynahi even makes the T1 sound lush which was a shocker to me.

if one hears grain or sililance or harsh (i dont), dont blame the Dynahi but instead look upstream, the Dynahi + HD800 (& to a degree the T1) is honest enough to show me GIGO. im already looking at the budget for improvements in source.

ps: on another completely different topic, what about Anthony Johnson??!! Rumble completely destroyed Gufstaffson!!!  boy, Bones have to be concerned - better cut out the late night parties with the white stuff 
L3000.gif

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #16,542 of 29,017
Anyone ran their HD800 off CEntrance DACmini CX amp/dac? Good combo/ anything of note? Thinking this as a portable rig when carrying laptop around.

Jan 26, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #16,543 of 29,017
  Anyone ran their HD800 off CEntrance DACmini CX amp/dac? Good combo/ anything of note? Thinking this as a portable rig when carrying laptop around.

Not recommended.  I love my DACmini CX for just about every other headphone, especially with the LCD-2 rev.1, but it's not on the short list of amps that are compatible with the HD800, in my opinion.

Mike

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #16,544 of 29,017

I know it's on sale for $399, but why CEntrance ? it's becoming a legacy product, can't even do DSDs.
How about Aune S16 ? $599 and has the latest AK DAC chip, and do DSDs.

Jan 26, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #16,545 of 29,017
Thanks for the feed back guys... ya getting them mostly because they are on sale, trying to keep it under $500 bucks. Any other choices?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back