The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #16,516 of 29,017
Googled it. $799...YIKES!
eek.gif

Haha...perfect for the college student (who goes out and robs a bank in order to afford his headphone hobby). 

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #16,518 of 29,017
Jan 23, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #16,519 of 29,017
Friday night listening session....

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #16,520 of 29,017
^Love the Telecaster

Jan 24, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #16,523 of 29,017

How are the HDs with the Cary? Years ago I tried dome HD600s with the SLI and remember it sounding pretty, good. What feet is the Mini sitting on?

The HD800's work famously with the Cary. I love the combo. It has been my reference for awhile now. The Mac Mini is sitting on a set of Stillpoints Ultra SS vibration dampers. Great stuff. The Cary is sitting on 3 of the Stillpoints Ultra 5's.

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #16,524 of 29,017
The funny thing is I had the HD800 a few years ago and sold them, and didn't have a DAC or an amp when I had them.
before that I had the K701 with a DAC/amp, and they didnt come close to the HD800 straight out of my laptop, I was blown away by the sound.
Long story short, I'm getting another pair soon, and now I have a Geek Out 720 , and I'm crazy excited!
They do sound out of this world.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #16,525 of 29,017

Beautiful setup. I miss my Sli-80 sig... Great match for the HD800s.

I've picked up a new pair, S/N 35XXX, and am struck by their smoothness from a number of amps I have around presently. Either my ears are getting older and worse or the peak on these is a little less pronounced than on my last pair. Either way, really enjoying these. For me a near-optimum blend of SQ and usability.

best,

o

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #16,526 of 29,017
the braided toxic cables sure look purrrty! im only using plain ol cardas but the hd800s do sound great thru the dynahi. extremely detail with a precise & big soundstage. all the micro details one needs with very extended bass (& slam i mite add) but without the harshness/glare/grain associated with SS amps.

Wow this is one good looking amp! What is this?

Jan 24, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #16,528 of 29,017
  I'll say one thing, you couldn't get a more spartan front panel than that.

oh, unfortunately: 
wink.gif

It's unfortunate - as this is a wonderfully full-bodied, dynamically-charged headphone amp prototype from Exemplar Audio!
Tubes (4 - just sent an email to find out which tubes) - BUT: They asked me to beta the thing, and I told them the "box needs to shrink,
it's HUGE - but they wanna keep it BIG so it matches their stereo components in a rack.

I said you guys think the people after this kinda product are gonna put it in their stereo rack, and use a 10-20ft headphone cables??
I don't think so - its supposed to be a "desk-top headphone amp" - and I can't see this behemoth on a desk... you?

And it really does sound DAMN good,
but not sure they're gonna change the chassis!!

I can HOPE

its also GREAT w/ my HD800s

and Zoe Mercer LOVED it..
beerchug.gif

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #16,530 of 29,017
  oh, unfortunately: 
wink.gif

It's unfortunate - as this is a wonderfully full-bodied, dynamically-charged headphone amp prototype from Exemplar Audio!
Tubes (4 - just sent an email to find out which tubes) - BUT: They asked me to beta the thing, and I told them the "box needs to shrink,
it's HUGE - but they wanna keep it BIG so it matches their stereo components in a rack.

I said you guys think the people after this kinda product are gonna put it in their stereo rack, and use a 10-20ft headphone cables??
I don't think so - its supposed to be a "desk-top headphone amp" - and I can't see this behemoth on a desk... you?

And it really does sound DAMN good,
but not sure they're gonna change the chassis!!

I can HOPE

its also GREAT w/ my HD800s

and Zoe Mercer LOVED it..
beerchug.gif

Mike i think HPiper was referring to the ghetto industrial look of my amp. yours look haute couture in comparison! hahahaha!

yes Mach3 is absolutely correct. i have a diy SE Dynahi which is designed by none other than Kevin Gilmore. though plain, it does harbor some pretty serious componentry inside with full discrete circuitry. while its not much to look at, it does sound awesome with anything i've plugged in so far. driving my HD800, it still sounds bright which i think is the nature of the beast. that said, the HD800 is bright in a very good way. 

to my ears, the Dynahi seemingly brings out the best in my HD800 making it very detailed, very extended top & bottom, precise imaging within a huge open soundstage all without being harsh or grainy or sibilant. its clear transparent but yet supremely musical. when ppl say HD800 dont have bass, they arent talking about a HD800 driven by a Dynahi. my HD800 goes deep with sold bass with slam.

IMO a HD800 will never be a basshead's headphone but short of that, my HD800 driven by the Dynahi has bass galore in the best sense of the word...fast, taut, defined with texture.

hell the Dynahi even manages to make a T1 sound lush. driven by the Dynahi, the T1 is almost a match for the HD800 with a slightly different presentation. I still prefer my HD800 but I can see liking T1 for different genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back