The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #15,931 of 28,992
  Happy New Year all! (ok, a little early :)

What a great place to have my 1500th post on HeadFi. Since I joined HeadFi, I don't think that I've owned ay pair of headphones for more than six months and some as little as a month, until the HD800.  I purchased my HD800 in May of 2013 and am still absolutely in love with them.  I seem to enjoy them more and more everyday and since I got the McIntosh MHA100 at the beginning of November, I finally believe that my HeadFi upgradities has finally come to an end.. now just thinking of all the money that can go into music.

I feel privileged to be part of such a great community even though at times, the journey has been tumultuous, I have met some great people online and at local meets and have learned a lot from this community.  A big thanks to Jude, the HeadFi community and the people I have learned so much from, many of whom have contributed to this thread.

As I write this, I'm listening to Hugh Masekela through my AK100 II and am thoroughly enjoying the HD800.

Happy Listening! M

+100  What a great post

beerchug.gif

RCBinTN

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #15,932 of 28,992

I don't agree the Senn balanced cable is over priced.  I have two, one for each of my HD800's, and they seem to be fine quality.  They're also 3-meters long.  Try pricing a 3-meter cable at Moon Audio.  IMO.

I guess I find it overprices because all they did was solder an XLR4 on to the stock cable, and then charge over 300$ for it.  You can get a lighter, more flexible cable from the 3rd party guys and Ebay for much less. . . 

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #15,933 of 28,992
  Happy New Year all! (ok, a little early :)

What a great place to have my 1500th post on HeadFi. Since I joined HeadFi, I don't think that I've owned ay pair of headphones for more than six months and some as little as a month, until the HD800.  I purchased my HD800 in May of 2013 and am still absolutely in love with them.  I seem to enjoy them more and more everyday and since I got the McIntosh MHA100 at the beginning of November, I finally believe that my HeadFi upgradities has finally come to an end.. now just thinking of all the money that can go into music.

I feel privileged to be part of such a great community even though at times, the journey has been tumultuous, I have met some great people online and at local meets and have learned a lot from this community.  A big thanks to Jude, the HeadFi community and the people I have learned so much from, many of whom have contributed to this thread.

As I write this, I'm listening to Hugh Masekela through my AK100 II and am thoroughly enjoying the HD800.

Happy Listening! M

Nice.  Happy New Year to everyone  

1.5 years in HD800 Heaven, recenlty injected with even more amazing sound bliss : speaker tap XLR4 adaptor for my balanced Denon speaker amp.  Whole New World.  

All the best for 2015 ! 

d

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #15,936 of 28,992

Please give me the exact link to see those cables

The Sennheiser product number is CH800S.  They are available on Sennheiser's website, or I bought mine at Crutchfield in NY.
www.crutchfield.com 

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #15,937 of 28,992

It doesn't seem to be about being sold out. Over here in Europe Sennheiser completely removed the "buy" button for the HD800. 

Interesting .......
ph34r.gif

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #15,938 of 28,992
Hello,
i have found another cable with 4Pin for the HD800.
here is the link : http://www.aloaudio.com/the-green-line-headphone-cable-updated
Could you tell me if that câble is better than the stock one we have with the 4 Pin XLR Balanced ?
if the sound Quality will be better than with the stock cable ?
the price is also interested.
thx 

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #15,939 of 28,992
  Hello,
i have found another cable with 4Pin for the HD800.
here is the link : http://www.aloaudio.com/the-green-line-headphone-cable-updated
Could you tell me if that câble is better than the stock one we have with the 4 Pin XLR Balanced ?
if the sound Quality will be better than with the stock cable ?
the price is also interested.
thx 

Lest we derail the thread, I think your question might be better posed in the cable forum: http://www.head-fi.org/f/21/cables-power-tweaks-speakers-accessories-dbt-free-forum

To drill to the end point - people will have a wide range of opinions on which cables sound best and/or whether the gage of certain cables precludes all of the wire strands from physically attaching to the hd800 connectors.  Although there are no measurements to support that any cables sound any better than other cables (unless one of them is broken), most of us would agree that the standard array of audio measurements don't tell the whole story.  (Amp manufacturers, for example, rarely even measure for TIM although many of us believe it is a very important consideration).  Lots of us have perceived improvements by using aftermarket cables - then again, we have a psychological investment in hearing such changes.  Same deal as expensive wine.  It would be a shame to drop big dollars on a particular bottle and then go on the net and report that it tastes about the same as your average $25 nappa cab.  YMMV.

Dec 31, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #15,940 of 28,992

Lest we derail the thread, I think your question might be better posed in the cable forum: http://www.head-fi.org/f/21/cables-power-tweaks-speakers-accessories-dbt-free-forum

To drill to the end point - people will have a wide range of opinions on which cables sound best and/or whether the gage of certain cables precludes all of the wire strands from physically attaching to the hd800 connectors.  Although there are no measurements to support that any cables sound any better than other cables (unless one of them is broken), most of us would agree that the standard array of audio measurements don't tell the whole story.  (Amp manufacturers, for example, rarely even measure for TIM although many of us believe it is a very important consideration).  Lots of us have perceived improvements by using aftermarket cables - then again, we have a psychological investment in hearing such changes.  Same deal as expensive wine.  It would be a shame to drop big dollars on a particular bottle and then go on the net and report that it tastes about the same as your average $25 nappa cab.  YMMV.

Very honest input!  well said 
beerchug.gif

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #15,941 of 28,992

Very honest input!  well said 
beerchug.gif

Yep...like these brand new Toxic Cables Silver Widow 22ga Litz cables. First set in the USA arrived today!

Burning them in on a Cavalli Liquid Crimson amp. Happy New Year!

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #15,942 of 28,992

Wow, congratulations!  You've jumped right over all of the misery of trying to find a good DAC and amp combo for the HD800.

Mike

I source directly from my OPPO BDP-95.It was inevitable that I end up with the HD800/LCDX seeing as it's pairing with the Bakoon is what originally sold me on the amp.Now along with the LCDX and modified Denon  AH-D7000 ( Lawton LA7000) , I have the sound signature variety I was striving for. 
smile.gif

Now comes the aftermarket cable question LOL

Dec 31, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #15,944 of 28,992
  Does anyone know, what the current highest serial number is?

I would have an offer and he says it has a 5003XX serial number, could that be possible?

Going by what's been posted on the HD 800 FR certificate thread, the newest serial #'s are in 33000's.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433059/sennheiser-hd800-certificate-for-frequency-response-arrived/600

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #15,945 of 28,992
Sounds right. I've purchased mine during BF promos from Senn online store and the serial number is 338XX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back