The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #15,961 of 28,992
It also depends if you know yourself to be tinkerer and are looking for a system for now that you'll experiment later with or know you eventually want aim long term for the big money stuff. Not everyone has Ygg+Rok aspirations (not speaking specifically to those two products but rather the price range). If you're looking to set a budget now as your end-game budget range it's a different story.

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #15,962 of 28,992
  Looking to purchase an HD800 next week (or in 3 weeks, depends how badly I want to eat ramen for the next two weeks). To say I'm excited would be an understatement.

I can already power an HD800 from my sound card, and the dac is probably good enough to hold me over for a while. Though would really like a nice setup eventually. 

Here are a few combinations I've been looking at so far:

Fiio E18 (Something for home and mobile use)
Modi 2 Uber / Valhalla 2
Modi 2 Uber / Lyr (Not sure I'd care too much for rolling. Is the Lyr just a Valhalla with rolling tubes?)
Crack OTL + Speedball (Would need to find a pre-built version) (Also would need a recommended DAC to pair it with, unless it comes with one)
Triad L3 Lion / Geek Out SE (Recommended by zerodeefex)

My dac/amp budget would be $1000, but would definitely prefer to spend less. If I can get good sound (even if it's not absolutely perfect) for less, that's the way I'd like to go. I've heard the Schiit Bifrost is good, but then I've already read the Modi 2 Uber is essentially a mini Bifrost. Not sure how true that statement is, but it's surely cheaper. As for mobile amp/dac setups, are they just not as good, or does a mobile solution exist for plugging into your smartphone such as the E18 that can sound almost, or as good as a desktop setup?

Thanks for your help guys.

This works really well with HD800: http://www.dangerousmusic.com/products/source

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #15,963 of 28,992
Thanks for the tips. Going to go with the Modi 2 Uber / Valhalla 2. Always wanted a pile of Schiit. 

Curious though, what would I notice to indicate needing to get a Wyrd also? Is this something you need due to how revealing the HD800 is?

Upgrading from an M50 to the HD800. I probably don't even understand how good this will be.

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #15,964 of 28,992
  Thanks for the tips. Going to go with the Modi 2 Uber / Valhalla 2. Always wanted a pile of Schiit. 

Curious though, what would I notice to indicate needing to get a Wyrd also? Is this something you need due to how revealing the HD800 is?

Upgrading from an M50 to the HD800. I probably don't even understand how good this will be.

Wow.....talk about a sweet upgrade....you are in for some "wow"  moments.

Enjoy  
smile.gif

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #15,966 of 28,992

IMO, you have serious chance to be disappointed. M50 and hd800 have so different sound sigs... I think your brain will need time to get habituated.

My 2 cents.

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #15,967 of 28,992
Unlike many of the fanboys, I actually don't like the M50. It's the best that I've got at the moment, and the best headphones I've owned, but am not overall happy with them. The low end, and low mids sound muddy and boomy, and the soundstage feels inverted. Sounds that should be in front of me sound like they are in the back of my head (Yes, I'm wearing them correctly). I also find them a bit too heavy. I wouldn't even call them warm. I would compare them to machinery in the way they sound. Just seems somewhat forced. I find myself listening to them unamped and at 50% volume on purpose just to enjoy them more.

I've lurked long enough here and on Reddit to know that I'm more interested in jumping hard into a new playing field, rather than slowly running to the end (upgrading little by little). I've read enough stories about people who get new headphones that should be better, but are disappointed. Even if I dislike the HD800 at first, I will keep listening to them, and after a few days of use go back to the M50 to see how much worse they are in every way.

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #15,969 of 28,992
Well you've skipped a lot of steps on the audiophile ramp up to the HD800s which is both good and bad. Climbing the ladder lets you fully appreciate when you get to the top but it also costs a lot more money in the end. Like you, I first had a pair of M50's, I actually found that I became the most displeased with their sound after I paired them with a decent source/amp. Now they're just a dedicated vacuuming/dishwashing/other things around the house headphone.

Although I've only owned my HD800's for a bit over a week and a half now I'm definitely enjoying them and they beat anything I've previously owned.

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #15,970 of 28,992
Even if I dislike the HD800 at first, I will keep listening to them, and after a few days of use go back to the M50 to see how much worse they are in every way.

Wise plan indeed :wink: . I hate the M50 myself so I can understand where you 're coming from. Take the time, Buy an appropriate and affordable stack and make your own opinion after weeks of careful listening. 
beerchug.gif

The main problem with the HD800 is not to buy it or even to enjoy it during the first time... the real story begins after the honeymoon :wink: .

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #15,971 of 28,992
Jan 2, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #15,972 of 28,992
  Unlike many of the fanboys, I actually don't like the M50. I find myself listening to them unamped and at 50% volume on purpose just to enjoy them more.

I agree, these are massively overhyped, but what sort of amplification do you use? I thought they improved quite a bit hooked to a decent amp. Gave them some dynamics capability, but still no resolution..

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #15,973 of 28,992
SupremeFX Impact 2 sound card, or a Fiio E6. It definitely adds dynamics. It still feels forced to me, like heavy machinery. It's interesting because I started with an XB500, found out that I'm not all about that bass. Got the M50 because it was supposed to be neutral, and it leaned more towards a hard hitting headphone than feeling neutral to me. At least unamped it sounds decent, but the soundstage is still inverted in my face.

Anyways, still face the difficult decision of buying the HD800 on the 9th, or waiting till the 16th and not have to eat ramen, beans and rice every day. Glad for all the holiday pay this last month + Christmas, made this all possible. I am actually concerned I'm going to buy the HD800 then it will go in sale a week afterwards, hah.

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #15,974 of 28,992
When I first got my HD800 I was disappointed.  Soundstage was great but sounded veiled and fatiguing.  Then I read burn-in is recommended so I let it run a couple of days.  Listened last night on my Woo WA2.  Spectacular.

[edited to remove regrettable remark]

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #15,975 of 28,992
  When I first got my HD800 I was disappointed.  Soundstage was great but sounded veiled and fatiguing.  Then I read burn-in is recommended so I let it run a couple of days.  Listened last night on my Woo WA2.  Spectacular.  Anyone who dismisses the idea of burn-in must have no ear for music.

...we already dodged a fight with that cable hiccup a few pages back let's not start one here.

I do agree with you that burn-in may exist but let's not rush to dismiss the opinions of others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back