The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #15,901 of 28,992

Both your DX90 and your 120ii will drive the HD800 very very well; the HiFi-M8 will drive it even better.  The HD800 is not hard to drive - 102db sensitivity rating.  However,much of the reason for the huge size of this thread is that there is a very wide range of opinions on what drives the HD800 really WELL.  

That of course can only be answered by you.  But since you can`t demo before buying, I will give you my opinion, which is that it is very very difficult not to like the HD800, and out of the M8 it will be difficult not to LOVE it.  

There are hundreds of XLR4 cable options for the HD800, including Senn`s own (over-priced) cable. . . . 

Thanik so much for your contribution, i really appreciate.
i think also that i will love the SQ of the HD800. i will proceed to the order.
B&H gave me a big promo : 1021 USD (shippi,g cost include), i will not miss that opportunity 

As you mentioned the cable price of senns is out out reach, could you give me other links ?

thanks
Sam

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #15,902 of 28,992
Both your DX90 and your 120ii will drive the HD800 very very well; the HiFi-M8 will drive it even better.  The HD800 is not hard to drive - 102db sensitivity rating.  However,much of the reason for the huge size of this thread is that there is a very wide range of opinions on what drives the HD800 really WELL.  

That of course can only be answered by you.  But since you can`t demo before buying, I will give you my opinion, which is that it is very very difficult not to like the HD800, and out of the M8 it will be difficult not to LOVE it.  

There are hundreds of XLR4 cable options for the HD800, including Senn`s own (over-priced) cable. . . . 

I totally agree! :)

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #15,903 of 28,992
I'm planning to audition these tomorrow (as well as various Hifiman, Audeze, Beyerdynamic and other models). Can't wait to hear what the fuss is about!

I don't know if you have checked the other thread discussing the new Sennheiser flagship model but it has been mentioned that the hd800 is now being discounted and unavailable to buy from some Sennheiser sites with speculation that this maybe because of an hd800 replacement ie hd900?

So you may be able to buy an hd800 at a great price now or possibly even wait for the new model?

:)

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #15,905 of 28,992

Thanik so much for your contribution, i really appreciate.
i think also that i will love the SQ of the HD800. i will proceed to the order.
B&H gave me a big promo : 1021 USD (shippi,g cost include), i will not miss that opportunity 

As you mentioned the cable price of senns is out out reach, could you give me other links ?

thanks
Sam

That`s a great price; I paid about the same in Tokyo last year.  There are so many cable options for the HD800, from Ebay on up to the custom builders; there doesn`t seem to be any upper limit on what can be spent.   I really like the Forza cables, and the guy is really nice to deal with.  I`ve also been checking out the Norne Audio page recently and his stuff looks great, too.  I think from now on I will try DIY.  I`m sure there are a lot of people who can recommend cablers.  

Take a look at these 

http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/category.php?id_category=36
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/index.php?route=product/category&path=17

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #15,906 of 28,992
I bought my balanced cable here : http://stores.ebay.com/ilikevenusaudio

I'm very Happy with it :wink:

Dec 29, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #15,910 of 28,992
Dec 29, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #15,912 of 28,992

And ?  

One of my fondest audiophile memories was the massive audition I did at a shop in Tokyo:  Marantz SA-11 SACD player through the Luxman P-700u headphone amp; HD800, T1, TH900, LCD-3, HD700, TH600.   The first to be disqualified, based on sound quality and comfort, were the Beyer T1 and the Fostexes (ironic since I am a huge Fostex speaker fan, and now own the Beyer T5P), then the LCD-3 (weight, cost and DIY-ishness) and finally the HD700 (which was in way over its head by that point.)  

I think the HD800, and my current camera, are the two most regret-free purchases I`ve ever made.  

What was your verdict ? 

Well this was my first listening session, after being without headphones for some time (my Sennheiser HD650s were destroyed in a flood). My last 3 phones were all Sennheiser but now there are a few new players so I wanted to finally hear various makes and models for myself. The shop I went to was very small and a bit noisy, so far from perfect conditions. They also didn't have so many models to try, but I did try some models from Sennheiser, Grado, Audeze, Beyerdynamic and Hifiman which I think is a good start. I listened through my Macbook running Audirvana Plus v2, which directly output to an Arcam DAC via USB. Some tracks I selected were 24/96, some were 16/44. Various genres from classical to EDM.

To cut a long story short, the Audeze LCD-X blew me away with their natural sound and were my clear favourites. The Beyerdynamic T5p really impressed for the price, the T1 was very similar to T5p, and then I liked the Sennheisers. I didn't like the Grado PS1000 and Hifiman HE-560.

I thought I would like the HD800 more, and perhaps they (and the others) would perform better with a different DAC, but the difference to me between the LCD-X and HD800 was not subtle. The HD800 had a much more limited expression of sounds, so it was pleasant but still sounded like headphones. I thought the Audeze were natural, especially the female vocal on "Vivaldi: Belezza Crudel - Recitative And Aria From Cantata Rv 679" from the wonderful 24/192 recording "The Nordic Sound: 2L Audiophile Reference Recordings".

In a perfect world I would buy the Audeze for home listening, where an open design won't bother anyone, and the T5p for portable/office use. The Audeze just doesn't strike me as a headphone you would ever use outdoors or in an office environment.

The T5p really impressed with sound, compact size, and use-them-anywhere practicality (and they were half the price of the Audeze in this particular shop). I'll keep looking around for now. It was a very interesting session!

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #15,913 of 28,992

Well this was my first listening session, after being without headphones for some time (my Sennheiser HD650s were destroyed in a flood). My last 3 phones were all Sennheiser but now there are a few new players so I wanted to finally hear various makes and models for myself. The shop I went to was very small and a bit noisy, so far from perfect conditions. They also didn't have so many models to try, but I did try some models from Sennheiser, Grado, Audeze, Beyerdynamic and Hifiman which I think is a good start. I listened through my Macbook running Audirvana Plus v2, which directly output to an Arcam DAC via USB. Some tracks I selected were 24/96, some were 16/44. Various genres from classical to EDM.

To cut a long story short, the Audeze LCD-X blew me away with their natural sound and were my clear favourites. The Beyerdynamic T5p really impressed for the price, the T1 was very similar to T5p, and then I liked the Sennheisers. I didn't like the Grado PS1000 and Hifiman HE-560.

I thought I would like the HD800 more, and perhaps they (and the others) would perform better with a different DAC, but the difference to me between the LCD-X and HD800 was not subtle. The HD800 had a much more limited expression of sounds, so it was pleasant but still sounded like headphones. I thought the Audeze were natural, especially the female vocal on "Vivaldi: Belezza Crudel - Recitative And Aria From Cantata Rv 679" from the wonderful 24/192 recording "The Nordic Sound: 2L Audiophile Reference Recordings".

In a perfect world I would buy the Audeze for home listening, where an open design won't bother anyone, and the T5p for portable/office use. The Audeze just doesn't strike me as a headphone you would ever use outdoors or in an office environment.

The T5p really impressed with sound, compact size, and use-them-anywhere practicality (and they were half the price of the Audeze in this particular shop). I'll keep looking around for now. It was a very interesting session!

The HD800 are extremely dependent on the front end. Having said that. you may just not like their sound. From your comments I wonder if you have tried the Hifiman HE500? It has some of the sound quality of the LCDX for far less cost. Might be worth a listen. The weight of the LCDX put me off but I agree they sound is very musical. The HE500 can be had for a very reasonable price these days and it is very different from the HE560.

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #15,914 of 28,992
  The HD800 are extremely dependent on the front end. Having said that. you may just not like their sound. From your comments I wonder if you have tried the Hifiman HE500? It has some of the sound quality of the LCDX for far less cost. Might be worth a listen. The weight of the LCDX put me off but I agree they sound is very musical. The HE500 can be had for a very reasonable price these days and it is very different from the HE560.

I would certainly like to listen to more options but I have rather limited listening opportunities in my area.

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #15,915 of 28,992
HIFiman just announced the launch of the HE1000 Flagship, super thin transducer and single sided magnets....when is the new Senny Flagship coming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back