The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Nov 24, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #1,441 of 2,621
I wonder if these are one of the first non Alex Grell headphones to be designed and released? Would make sense to me as they definately seem 'odd' in there positioning and its also a new genre of headphone at its pricepoint (studio 5 series)

Nov 25, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #1,442 of 2,621
These would certainly not be the first non-Grell designed headphones. Axel was the chief who oversaw the teams, and they reported to him, but his level of contribution varied. The various product managers and acoustic engineers have all contributed over the years :)

Nov 26, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #1,443 of 2,621
Can someone recommend a good balanced cable for these headphones? Additionally do you think that a portable amp would improve quality of sound such as the FiiO Q3.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #1,444 of 2,621

Honestly I've enjoyed the time I've spent with them so far, not a full review but impressions and all in all I pretty happy with what they've achieved with this product

I spent a little time listening on the iFi iDSD Neo as well as in my primary system on my Bricasti M3H for my full review I'll have a listen on some more modest downstream components but suffice to say they scale decently well

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #1,445 of 2,621
I've got a question to anyone who has the HD560s. I am having two problems with the build of these headphones: For one, the headband can sometimes make an annoying, creaking like sound when they get stretched a bit. This one is not that big of a deal but occasionally it can be annoying.
The bigger problem is the fact that I constantly hear a quiet, dull sound when moving my head among the ear cups. I believe it's caused by the cup swivel, when you rotate the cups.
I'm sorry if the explanations of the sounds I hear are weird, but I can't really explain them any better.
My question is whether other people have that problem as well, and if that's normal with these headphones and maybe gets better over time or if my pair is just a bit faulty.

Nov 27, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #1,446 of 2,621
I've got a question to anyone who has the HD560s. I am having two problems with the build of these headphones: For one, the headband can sometimes make an annoying, creaking like sound when they get stretched a bit. This one is not that big of a deal but occasionally it can be annoying.
The bigger problem is the fact that I constantly hear a quiet, dull sound when moving my head among the ear cups. I believe it's caused by the cup swivel, when you rotate the cups.
I'm sorry if the explanations of the sounds I hear are weird, but I can't really explain them any better.
My question is whether other people have that problem as well, and if that's normal with these headphones and maybe gets better over time or if my pair is just a bit faulty.

yeah the plastics not particularly robust, tho not too much is at this price point, the creaking should mellow out after a few days

though I'm not sure that mine makes that much noise however I don't have mine extended all the way either

Nov 27, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #1,447 of 2,621
yeah the plastics not particularly robust, tho not too much is at this price point, the creaking should mellow out after a few days

though I'm not sure that mine makes that much noise however I don't have mine extended all the way either

I have had the headphones for about a month now though, and it honestly started getting noticeable after I had them maybe about two weeks or so. Mine also aren't fully extended.
I'm not sure if I would describe the sound of the cup swivel as creaking though, it's more a dull, lower frequency sound.

Nov 27, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #1,448 of 2,621
I have had the headphones for about a month now though, and it honestly started getting noticeable after I had them maybe about two weeks or so. Mine also aren't fully extended.
I'm not sure if I would describe the sound of the cup swivel as creaking though, it's more a dull, lower frequency sound.

that sounds more like the seal of the Ear pads breaking

Do you also hear that noise with NO music playing

Nov 27, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #1,449 of 2,621
that sounds more like the seal of the Ear pads breaking

Do you also hear that noise with NO music playing

Oh yes, when the music is fairly loud, I don't really hear it, but as soon as the music gets quiet or I don't play music at all I hear the annoying sounds. I'm pretty positive that it is the cup swivel that is creating that annoying sound due to friction.

Nov 27, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #1,450 of 2,621
Oh yes, when the music is fairly loud, I don't really hear it, but as soon as the music gets quiet or I don't play music at all I hear the annoying sounds. I'm pretty positive that it is the cup swivel that is creating that annoying sound due to friction.

Your location is listed as Germany, you may be able to have Sennheiser service or warranty your headphone easily. That may be a worthwhile option for you to explore

Nov 27, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #1,451 of 2,621
Your location is listed as Germany, you may be able to have Sennheiser service or warranty your headphone easily. That may be a worthwhile option for you to explore
Well the store I got them from seem to have a 5 year warranty for whatever crazy reason. So yeah, I'll probably make use of that, I just was curious if the problems I had were normal problems that other people have with these headphones as well. If that's not the case, I sure will take advantage of the warranty.

Nov 29, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #1,452 of 2,621
I just received a pair of HD 560S, but I’ve had an HD 599 and PC37X for years with similar construction, and I’m having some trouble imagining the “quiet, dull sound” which you’re describing as your bigger problem.

If you flex the plastic, it may creak. I can ask if some sort of lubricant might help reduce rubbing and friction sounds, but you don’t want to experiment with potentially shorting out any electronics.

Normally, the plastics will polish smooth over time and use, and the snug fit should prevent the headphone from flexing and moving around while you’re wearing it. You might want to check that what you’re hearing isn’t microphonics from the cable rubbing against your shirt; not usually a problem with smooth rubber cables like the stock one, but cloth wrapped cords (especially if it’s coarse cloth) greatly amplified this.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #1,454 of 2,621
Sigh. I'd really like to see a pair of these before Christmas, but it doesn't look like that's happening.
If your US based there are a few 560s that pop up second hand

Dec 1, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #1,455 of 2,621
I just received a pair of HD 560S, but I’ve had an HD 599 and PC37X for years with similar construction, and I’m having some trouble imagining the “quiet, dull sound” which you’re describing as your bigger problem.

If you flex the plastic, it may creak. I can ask if some sort of lubricant might help reduce rubbing and friction sounds, but you don’t want to experiment with potentially shorting out any electronics.

Normally, the plastics will polish smooth over time and use, and the snug fit should prevent the headphone from flexing and moving around while you’re wearing it. You might want to check that what you’re hearing isn’t microphonics from the cable rubbing against your shirt; not usually a problem with smooth rubber cables like the stock one, but cloth wrapped cords (especially if it’s coarse cloth) greatly amplified this.

Honestly I find the stock cable fairly microphonic on these so the dull noise could possibly be the cable rubbing on a shirt. I do wish the HD 560 S had a better stock cable, it’s replaceable so not a big deal but would be nice if it had the texture and feel of the HD 600 or HD 650 cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back