The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Nov 16, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #1,426 of 2,621
Ah, sorry!
Yes, I have but prefer the sound without it. I found it to dull the sound too much, creating a somewhat veiled and muddled presentation.
Thanks for your reply!

I think I'm going to contact Solderdude in order to get more precise information about the filter and try to replicate its effect using some EQ setting if possible.

Regards.

Nov 16, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #1,427 of 2,621
Had some interesting experiences with EQ.

(Bass reduction has been quite useful for a particular headphone and also a particular dac with speakers)

Ended up fiddling about with the settings too much and then sighed with relief upon pressing reset.

Despite this I'm certainly not against EQ, in principle.

Oratory1990 has a lot of EQ presets for multiple headphones to bring them to the Harman Target. I start with this, then adjust from there and find it sounds amazing. It's abit bass heavy for some music, so I lower the bass a bit sometimes (I do enjoy some bass though, so many times I leave it), and in the treble, I typically bring the 6k-9k region down a tad as I'm a bit sensitive there.

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #1,429 of 2,621
I’ve been following this thread for a while and had the 560S for about six weeks. I wouldn’t say I’m an audiophile; I certainly don’t always listen to audiophile-approved music and I’m pretty new to over-ear headphone listening after years of IEMs and speakers. Anyway, I thought I’d share my tuppence…

I’m listening mostly to CDs via an Arcam CDS50 (ESS Sabre 9038 DAC) through a Burson Soloist SL Mk2. In this time, I’ve also picked up an HD600 to compare it to. My other headphones are Beyerdynamic Amiron Home and DT1990 (mostly with A pads, sometimes with Dekoni).

The headphone itch I’ve been looking to scratch is a sweet spot of headphones to wear while I’m working. The Amiron are super comfortable, nice spacious sound, but a bit dull. The 1990 are less comfortable with higher clamp, but very exciting – fun for listening, but too attention grabbing when I’m trying to multitask. At lower volume, they can be a bit irritating as the famed treble peak makes cymbals really stand out; it doesn’t hurt me like some say, but it’s distracting and draws attention to the wrong part of the music for me.

So, onto the Sennheisers…

The 560S feel cheap out of the box. Next to the Beyers, they feel like a toy. Slip them on though and those light plastics become an extremely comfortable headphone with the right amount of grip for me (short, slightly wide head; glasses). The raised bit inside the cup is a bit annoying and sometimes touches my ear, but easily workable around. Over the course of a day, they are very easy to forget about.

These are super easy for my amp to drive and I’m listening pretty low on the dial. The sound is airy, energetic and clear. More than any other headphone I’ve listened to, these just sound so transparent into the music, but without that splashier elevation of the 1990. Listening to complex music like Physics House Band live album, Metropolis, instruments are clear, well-placed and make sense. Physics House Band combine post rock and jazz and can easily sounds like noise, but the 560S handles them easily.

Over the last weeks, they’ve had Bjork, NIN, Download, Brian Eno, Radiohead, Plaid, Fabric mixes, The Cure and more through them. Throughout, that clarity has been their strength, and I thought the itch was scratched BUT sometimes they can just sound a bit thin. Never dull, or muddy, but the sounds don’t always carry the weight or authority the DT1990 brings. The bass is solid, so that’s not the issue, but there’s a lack of presence to some music and sounds. I had the same issue with the Sundara, which I returned.

This is when I picked up the 600. Out of the box, there's a more premium feeling than the 560S (but with a similarly flimsy cable). Comfort wise, I was pleasantly surprised, not as light as the 560S and with a firmer grip, but still easier to forget about and 100g lighter than the DT1990.

First impressions were bad – so veiled compared to the clarity of the 560S – but I persevered. And now it’s just even more confusing! Where the 560S can sound thin, the 600 is a lot meatier. Guitar in particular sounds weightier and more lifelike. Drums carry a bit more heft and when things get busy, it’s easier to track each instrument. The soundstage may be smaller than the 560S, but it’s easier to track everything in it. Where they clearly lose though, is that clarity and soundstage. The 560S sound like headphones – they both do – but there’s more breadth and airiness in the 560S that makes the music feel slightly wider around you. The dynamics on the 560S are also more marked. While the 600 does have dynamics, especially with a bit of volume, and these can be more satisfying with the weight of the sound, the 560S has lively dynamics at all volumes that keep you aware of each element.

In essence, that may a bit of the difference: the 560S is more listening to the music, the 600 is a little more in the music, especially with the tighter soundstage.

Listening to Another Green World by Brian Eno, the 560S has me noticing sounds and details I’d never heard before, but the 600 delivers the main keyboard, vocal or guitar lines with a warmth and weight that is emotional.

For my tastes, as you might gather, I’d want the clarity, width and dynamics of the 560S with the weight of the 600 (and ideally the larger ear cups of the 600). Both fit in that space between the Amiron and 1990, but in two different ways.

I’m planning to keep one of them for sure, but I’m still working out which strengths matter the most to me. I suspect the clarity and comfort of the 560S will win as it’s just so easy to listen to music on them, but…

Or maybe there’s a 760S waiting to happen that will be the best of both worlds!

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #1,430 of 2,621
I’ve been following this thread for a while and had the 560S for about six weeks. I wouldn’t say I’m an audiophile; I certainly don’t always listen to audiophile-approved music and I’m pretty new to over-ear headphone listening after years of IEMs and speakers. Anyway, I thought I’d share my tuppence…

I’m listening mostly to CDs via an Arcam CDS50 (ESS Sabre 9038 DAC) through a Burson Soloist SL Mk2. In this time, I’ve also picked up an HD600 to compare it to. My other headphones are Beyerdynamic Amiron Home and DT1990 (mostly with A pads, sometimes with Dekoni).

The headphone itch I’ve been looking to scratch is a sweet spot of headphones to wear while I’m working. The Amiron are super comfortable, nice spacious sound, but a bit dull. The 1990 are less comfortable with higher clamp, but very exciting – fun for listening, but too attention grabbing when I’m trying to multitask. At lower volume, they can be a bit irritating as the famed treble peak makes cymbals really stand out; it doesn’t hurt me like some say, but it’s distracting and draws attention to the wrong part of the music for me.

So, onto the Sennheisers…

The 560S feel cheap out of the box. Next to the Beyers, they feel like a toy. Slip them on though and those light plastics become an extremely comfortable headphone with the right amount of grip for me (short, slightly wide head; glasses). The raised bit inside the cup is a bit annoying and sometimes touches my ear, but easily workable around. Over the course of a day, they are very easy to forget about.

These are super easy for my amp to drive and I’m listening pretty low on the dial. The sound is airy, energetic and clear. More than any other headphone I’ve listened to, these just sound so transparent into the music, but without that splashier elevation of the 1990. Listening to complex music like Physics House Band live album, Metropolis, instruments are clear, well-placed and make sense. Physics House Band combine post rock and jazz and can easily sounds like noise, but the 560S handles them easily.

Over the last weeks, they’ve had Bjork, NIN, Download, Brian Eno, Radiohead, Plaid, Fabric mixes, The Cure and more through them. Throughout, that clarity has been their strength, and I thought the itch was scratched BUT sometimes they can just sound a bit thin. Never dull, or muddy, but the sounds don’t always carry the weight or authority the DT1990 brings. The bass is solid, so that’s not the issue, but there’s a lack of presence to some music and sounds. I had the same issue with the Sundara, which I returned.

This is when I picked up the 600. Out of the box, there's a more premium feeling than the 560S (but with a similarly flimsy cable). Comfort wise, I was pleasantly surprised, not as light as the 560S and with a firmer grip, but still easier to forget about and 100g lighter than the DT1990.

First impressions were bad – so veiled compared to the clarity of the 560S – but I persevered. And now it’s just even more confusing! Where the 560S can sound thin, the 600 is a lot meatier. Guitar in particular sounds weightier and more lifelike. Drums carry a bit more heft and when things get busy, it’s easier to track each instrument. The soundstage may be smaller than the 560S, but it’s easier to track everything in it. Where they clearly lose though, is that clarity and soundstage. The 560S sound like headphones – they both do – but there’s more breadth and airiness in the 560S that makes the music feel slightly wider around you. The dynamics on the 560S are also more marked. While the 600 does have dynamics, especially with a bit of volume, and these can be more satisfying with the weight of the sound, the 560S has lively dynamics at all volumes that keep you aware of each element.

In essence, that may a bit of the difference: the 560S is more listening to the music, the 600 is a little more in the music, especially with the tighter soundstage.

Listening to Another Green World by Brian Eno, the 560S has me noticing sounds and details I’d never heard before, but the 600 delivers the main keyboard, vocal or guitar lines with a warmth and weight that is emotional.

For my tastes, as you might gather, I’d want the clarity, width and dynamics of the 560S with the weight of the 600 (and ideally the larger ear cups of the 600). Both fit in that space between the Amiron and 1990, but in two different ways.

I’m planning to keep one of them for sure, but I’m still working out which strengths matter the most to me. I suspect the clarity and comfort of the 560S will win as it’s just so easy to listen to music on them, but…

Or maybe there’s a 760S waiting to happen that will be the best of both worlds!

Honestly the occasional thinness of the sound of the HD 560 S is my main complaint about the sound on many systems. High ouput impedance amps do help with this and honestly this is a headphone I generally prefer with a high output impedance amplifier as I find it addresses the thinness they can have at times as well as the slightly too bright sound they sometimes have, just as I prefer the HD 600/650 with a high output impedance, high output impedance is usually really done with OTL tube amps, some vintage receivers, or some oddball SS amps (such as the Sony UDA-1 I have with it's 332 Ohm output impedance which is my favorite amp on the HD 560 S I tried so far). If I didn’t have any amplifiers with a high output impedance or adjustable output impedance not sure if I would kept the HD 560 S. The HD 660 S was a bit different as I think I preferred it on low-output impedance amps.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #1,431 of 2,621

You might give the HD660s a try. I have them and from the description of what you want they may be the right match.

Nov 22, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #1,432 of 2,621
Zeos's review of the hd560s. His impressions kinda mirror mine: insane imaging capability but a bit too analytical that sucks the fun out of some music. He did say in the video they become more fun when paired with a tube amp; however, I don't own one and I suspect the good ones will be way more expensive than the headphones themselves.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #1,433 of 2,621
I find them to be just right on my setup. They're really dynamic which IMO is what makes music fun. They also have plenty of energy and bass which contributes to that. The one thing I don't love are vocals but they aren't bad. As said, imaging is great and I am growing to like the soundstage over time as well. They're definitely on the analytical side, so depending on what you listen to, your mileage may vary. At least 50% of my music is instrumental and they're really good with most of that. With vocal music, I'd say 25% sounds pretty good, 50% is acceptable and the remaining 25% is not enjoyable, depending on where the singer's range is, whether the recording is mastered bright, etc.

Nov 22, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #1,435 of 2,621
Zeos: "...Once you understand them"

lol

I would rather read 20 Amazon testimonials for a pair of headphones and take the average of what they say, rather than listening to Zeos's subjective opinion. It would be more reliable

Nov 22, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #1,436 of 2,621
What I believe he is saying is they are, to a certain extent, what you make them.

In other words they allow you to hear what your gear and music really sounds like, warts and all.

Of course that approach to owning a setup with various components may not suit everyone and that's cool.

For example my HD650 allow me to enjoy certain gear that is exposed (as sounding thin and overly digital) by the HD560S, as I hear it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back