The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Oct 25, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #1,231 of 2,621
Still really liking the 560S, but these last couple of days I’ve been hearing the 6XX as darker, but more resolving, with better mids, timbre and generally a more dynamic sound performance. Took a bit for me to adjust, but I think this is where my assessment will sit for now. @Ichos, I can see where you’re coming from a bit better at this point.
This is where I am with them as well. Initially the 560s wowed me as it provided similar levels of detail but with wide soundstage. After over a week though I'm gravitating back towards the 6xx & 58x. The 560s can sound a bit lean or thin in it's presentation vs the other two, which sound more full.

Oct 25, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #1,232 of 2,621
This is where I am with them as well. Initially the 560s wowed me as it provided similar levels of detail but with wide soundstage. After over a week though I'm gravitating back towards the 6xx & 58x. The 560s can sound a bit lean or thin in it's presentation vs the other two, which sound more full.
I agree. It is thin sounding because it’s so flat. I am not sure if I’m going to keep mine or not

Oct 25, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #1,233 of 2,621
I'm looking at the Sundaras as well as candidate. I have never had planar headphones, so I might choose that one. I'm bit worried of hifiman build quality and longevity though.
If not sure, give the HE400i 2020 edition a shot first. It is cheaper, has been slightly improved in this revision and will tell you whether you like the HFM planar house sound. I believe they're quite similar sounding.

Oct 25, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #1,234 of 2,621
This type of headphone gives me what I give it (individual tunes and of course gear)

Dug out my old HD 650 and it's just lovely. Like wrapping myself in a warm thick blanket but...it reminded me of why I have moved on from that sort of sound signature.

The HD 560S has been mostly enjoyable for me so far because it doesn't hide much, as I hear it anyway.

If a song is full sounding, that's what I hear. If it isn't, I don't but that sort of honesty can be refreshing.

On the other hand there's a lot to be said for having a different type of headphone, that is more forgiving.

Oct 26, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #1,235 of 2,621
I'm still undecided if I want to buy 560S. I have the 660S and I'm super happy with it, not sure if 560S would be better in any aspect. Personally I have very different opinion than most of the 660S owners. I don't think the 660S has a narrow stage. With properly mastered song (just regular songs, not talking about binaural) and with good DAP I constantly feel certain instruments are coming from my room and not from the headphone. I have the hd800S as well and yes they are wider, but I feel the HD800S achieves this with some kind of trickery going on (either by introducing dips/peaks in freq so certain elements sounds more distant, or the headphone itself adding very small nuanced artificial echo, which makes stage bigger). To me (with my particular set of ears) 660S sounds better than 800S. It is more natural, also I feel it is more resolving in upper mids and treble and has better imaging (I still like HD800S though and listen to it from time to time, it has very unique sound). 660S also don't lacking in base department. With low frequency sin sweep at 25Hz it has ok volume already which is good in my opinion.
I also don't hear the Sennheiser veil everybody is talking about. I have a couple other headphones and many IEMs almost all of them are more "veiled" than 660S.
I'm only looking at the 560S as a possible buy because I have the new toy upgrade itch :) and the tuning might be better for movie watching / gaming (HD800S falling off of my head, not enough clamping force :frowning2: and constantly have to readjust, 660S is best for music listening). I'm looking forward to hear more 660S vs 560S impressions going forward. Also, 560S is not available in Hungary yet :frowning2:

They are available on multiple Amazon in Europe

Oct 26, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #1,239 of 2,621
How is the imaging and soundstage of the 560S compare to the 6XX?
The soundstage on the 560s is considerably wider than the 6xx and in line with other 5 series models. The imaging is about on par with the 6xx.

Oct 26, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #1,241 of 2,621
Looking for your impressions FeedYourHead. I own HD 598 and HD 660S. And I am very curious how do they compare with HD 560S.

I think I was the first owner of the HD 598 here on the forums, and I've used them for a long time. But I almost never listen to them after I got the HD 660S. I still like them, with the big soundstage they sound so much speaker like. But the 660S has much better detail, with no boomy bass. If 560S has solved these while retaining all that soundstage it would be amazing.

I've read people here saying HD 599 as having less stage than the HD 598. I have no idea as i never heard the HD 599. :thinking:

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #1,242 of 2,621
Hey these are in stock at Best Buy, my pair will be here Friday. I'll be comparing them to the HD-598 that I've been using for the past decade, as well as the Sivga Phoenix that just arrived.

I'm generally happy with the 598, mostly looking for a bit more subbass.

Im looking foward to your comparison

Oct 26, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #1,243 of 2,621
Hey these are in stock at Best Buy, my pair will be here Friday. I'll be comparing them to the HD-598 that I've been using for the past decade, as well as the Sivga Phoenix that just arrived.

I'm generally happy with the 598, mostly looking for a bit more subbass.
Interesting that they are being sold at best buy.

It's been almost two years since I sold my 598, but going off memory the 560s are a pretty sizeable upgrade.

Oct 26, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #1,244 of 2,621
Interesting that they are being sold at best buy.

It's been almost two years since I sold my 598, but going off memory the 560s are a pretty sizeable upgrade.

Best Buy is where I bought my HD 700, and while I did not buy my HD 599 there, I do recall seeing it listed for sale online at Best Buy, so I'm glad they're still selling Sennheiser cans like the HD 560.

Oct 27, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #1,245 of 2,621
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back