The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Oct 19, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #976 of 2,621
Just connected mine up to my iPhone without a dac and at full volume it’s very quiet. I’ve used a cobalt before and the volume increases by about 25% . Pretty sure you won’t have much headroom left with this combo .
That's kind of what I was afraid of. I know its really better for iem's (which is what I bought it for, but thought I would try an open back. Also considering the X3's, I assume they will push those better, but they doesn't seem to get as well reviewed as these...

Oct 19, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #977 of 2,621
I finally got caught up on this thread. I did my first impressions of the 560s vs. the Sundara on Reddit (Someone previously posted it so I won't post it again), but curious if anyone else has these two headphones? I'm waiting for a more powerful amp to arrive to see if my opinion changes at all and still undecided as to which headphone I will keep.

Curious of anyone else's experiences and thoughts between the 560s and the Sundara.

Oct 19, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #978 of 2,621
I finally got caught up on this thread. I did my first impressions of the 560s vs. the Sundara on Reddit (Someone previously posted it so I won't post it again), but curious if anyone else has these two headphones? I'm waiting for a more powerful amp to arrive to see if my opinion changes at all and still undecided as to which headphone I will keep.

Curious of anyone else's experiences and thoughts between the 560s and the Sundara.
How do you find the imaging and soundstage with the 560S?

Oct 19, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #979 of 2,621
How do you find the imaging and soundstage with the 560S?

Imaging is excellent, Playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare it really shines. You can tell exactly where gun shots, foot steps, and bombs are directionally. As for sound stage, I find that having the ear cups pushed back a bit helps open them up, but the Sundaras have better sound stage in my opinion. The clarity and resolution on the sundaras is very apparent to me, but I'm waiting on a better Amp to arrive to see if that makes a difference.

Oct 19, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #980 of 2,621

I have both as well and your impressions were pretty much in line with how I felt about them. I don't really use EQ so the 560s tonality was more enjoyable for me personally. The Sundara definitely still wins in resolution and technicality so I'll be keeping both cans and use one or the other depending on my mood. Not sure if I'm gonna sell off my 58x quite yet as they're still more "fun" than both.

Oct 19, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #981 of 2,621
This guy sounds like that other guy hating on the 560s on youtube without even hearing them. I wonder.

These people that have such strong opinions about how a headphone sounds without hearing it for themselves are so cool and reliable :)

Oct 19, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #982 of 2,621
I have both as well and your impressions were pretty much in line with how I felt about them. I don't really use EQ so the 560s tonality was more enjoyable for me personally. The Sundara definitely still wins in resolution and technicality so I'll be keeping both cans and use one or the other depending on my mood. Not sure if I'm gonna sell off my 58x quite yet as they're still more "fun" than both.

Ok cool, good to know i'm not crazy. The Sundaras are really impressive in terms of detail/resolution. I can really hear it with guitars that have subtle effects on them and even heavily distorted guitars.

I personally just want one set of headphones and have no issue with EQ, still not 100% sure which I will keep. If I listen to just the 560s I am impressed with how great they sound and really enjoy them, but then if I switch to the Sundara I instantly hear what was missing. If I never heard the Sundara's I would probably love the 560s, I think they are much better than the 58x for my preferences.

Comments that the 560s is harsh and sibilant are way off in my opinion. They are a bit bright but in now way harsh or fatiguing. The Sundara's without EQ sound much more harsh and fatiguing to me.

Oct 19, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #984 of 2,621
I'm almost at the point where the 560s have made the 58x redundant. I have the 6xx for that 6 series intimate, mid forward sound experience. The 560s do what the 58x do so well in bass and overall sound signature but add a wide soundstage and better clarity. I always swapped to the 58x for gaming, but I just prefer the 560s for gaming now.

I've ordered new pads from Sennheiser for my 58x as mine are a bit worn with over a year of use as my favorite/main headphone. I'll see how fresh pads changes the sound, but I may end up selling them.

I've been kicking around the idea of selling the 58x and 6xx to fund a 660s for several months but never pulled the trigger. The 560s may allow me to do that- just not sure if the 660s is worth a look since the 560s are supposed to be the "little brother" of that pair. Perhaps they will be too similar. Anyone own the 560s and 660s that could chime in?

Oct 19, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #985 of 2,621
That's kind of what I was afraid of. I know its really better for iem's (which is what I bought it for, but thought I would try an open back. Also considering the X3's, I assume they will push those better, but they doesn't seem to get as well reviewed as these...
An iPhone can drive these up to 108-9 db; a MBP can get to around 115 db. You'll most likely be fine.

Oct 19, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #986 of 2,621
I'm almost at the point where the 560s have made the 58x redundant. I have the 6xx for that 6 series intimate, mid forward sound experience. The 560s do what the 58x do so well in bass and overall sound signature but add a wide soundstage and better clarity. I always swapped to the 58x for gaming, but I just prefer the 560s for gaming now.

I've ordered new pads from Sennheiser for my 58x as mine are a bit worn with over a year of use as my favorite/main headphone. I'll see how fresh pads changes the sound, but I may end up selling them.

I've been kicking around the idea of selling the 58x and 6xx to fund a 660s for several months but never pulled the trigger. The 560s may allow me to do that- just not sure if the 660s is worth a look since the 560s are supposed to be the "little brother" of that pair. Perhaps they will be too similar. Anyone own the 560s and 660s that could chime in?
58x and 660s have almost the same sound. 660s have less bass extension and lack clarity like 58x. why would you basically buy a more expensive 58x (660s) which has all the issues and less bass of the 58x.

Oct 19, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #988 of 2,621
And my friend's unit arrived, so I can speak from a direct comparison against my beloved hd600. Yes, I am impressed by the sense of space the hp can produce. yes, the highs are very articulated. They just dominate to much on these dry vocals. It's pleasing at lower volume, fatiguing at normal listening levels (for me). after 2 hours I needed a pause. It's very "HI-FI" and extended, very holographic. exciting for sure. The mid are more on the dt880 side, but colder. It's not a bad thing because the distance of the voices is equal on both female and male voices. But dear friends, you must admit that their highs are not in the mid fi league, and a well burnt hd598 is better on every aspect but the bass extension. Who say that the hd600 has a peak on the 5khz would have real pain listening that unique jump of 6 db where every other hp have a dip... every time a cymbal hits, the voice disappear, so happy k712 to everyone.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #989 of 2,621
And my friend's unit arrived, so I can speak from a direct comparison against my beloved hd600. Yes, I am impressed by the sense of space the hp can produce. yes, the highs are very articulated. They just dominate to much on these dry vocals. It's pleasing at lower volume, fatiguing at normal listening levels (for me). after 2 hours I needed a pause. It's very "HI-FI" and extended, very holographic. exciting for sure. The mid are more on the dt880 side, but colder. It's not a bad thing because the distance of the voices is equal on both female and male voices. But dear friends, you must admit that their highs are not in the mid fi league, and a well burnt hd598 is better on every aspect but the bass extension. Who say that the hd600 has a peak on the 5khz would have real pain listening that unique jump of 6 db where every other hp have a dip... every time a cymbal hits, the voice disappear, so happy k712 to everyone.

Genuinely curious as to why I've seen multiple people state that XYZ Headphone that's been sufficiently burned in is so much better than the brand new 560s they heard for the first time.

Do we know yet how multiple hours of burn in on the 560s will change it? It seems like many headphones become less bright with burn in. Is it fair to say the same might happen with the 560s and it might really become an incredibly well balanced headphone?

Oct 19, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #990 of 2,621
Imaging is excellent, Playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare it really shines. You can tell exactly where gun shots, foot steps, and bombs are directionally. As for sound stage, I find that having the ear cups pushed back a bit helps open them up, but the Sundaras have better sound stage in my opinion. The clarity and resolution on the sundaras is very apparent to me, but I'm waiting on a better Amp to arrive to see if that makes a difference.
How do you push back the ear cups?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back