The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Oct 15, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #812 of 2,621
I like them more than 6xx.
Also the mids are more cold so maybe that creates the impression that they a more recessed
I could see how someone could like them better than the 6xx. If you're more into colder, less mid forward sound they would definitely be more for you.

I don't want to give the impression that they are leagues behind the 6xx. They aren't, they are fairly close to the level of clarity and detail of the 6 series. That's pretty remarkable IMO, especially given they have the soundstage of the 5 series.

After a bit more listening, they still feel like 58x tuning with wider soundstage, a bit less mid forward, in a 5 series body. They're awesome.

Oct 15, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #815 of 2,621
Just received my pair, today. I immediately set them up besides my HD6xx, HD600, and Sundara (stealth revision). These are 2/3 of my fav's so wanted to get a ballpark figure.

As working with 24-bit studio tracks, I'm most concerned with accuracy and detail. - First impressions: These are very "fast". Probably the fastest Sennheiser I've ever heard. Nice extension on the bass and treble sides. Mids through treble are a bit "dry". Very uncolored. Detail is very good, but not as good as the Sundara. Soundstage and linearity are much better than the comparatively "gooey" 6xx/600. However, the timbre of the 6xx/600 is more refined and lush. I once had an HD660s, and remember the sound well. The HD560s is like the HD660s, but with a drier sound, less refined timbre, and more linear treble extension (the HD660s sounded to me like it was a little recessed around 4k.)

These HD560s's are def the Senns to get for mixing audio, IMO. For $200, they are an excellent value for an analytical open back headphone. I'll be using these alongside my Sundara's as my main studio reference headphones.

Good stuff.

Oct 15, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #817 of 2,621
Whoever said these are bad build quality I highly disagree. I was actually turning them over in my hand earlier today and was really impressed by the design and craftsmanship of it. I really love the indented part on the outside cups, and I would prefer high quality plastic like this to anything else simply because of weight, which directly effect comfort. These are the only headphones I think I have ever owned that remain secure enough for me to move around without falling off while also feeling almost invisible on my head/able to wear for many many hours. Sure 1-2 grand headphones sound better, but I can't wear any of them for 12 hour sessions without issue like I can with this. That alone gives these headphones a huge thumbs up in my book.

I've got my second pair unopened and mailed back, but I am keeping my first pair that I got with the 20 discount. 20 discount is null since I had to pay return shipping, but it is all good. Most likely am selling my HD58X in a few days, but I want to give it a few more days to be certain. HD58X is great, but I really need my sound stage for gaming as I do more gaming than I do music.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #818 of 2,621
Just got my pair (pre-ordered on Sep 24th) and out the box they're already better than the 650 and 58x for my tastes. The bass was a pleasant surprise. Quite a bit tighter and cleaner than the 58x's bass. Vocals still sound "full" without being overly shouty like the 650 and 58x can get at times. Detail is about on par with the 650 and better than the 58x. Personally I find these as a good upgrade over the 58x and a sidegrade/slight upgrade over the 650. I can't comment on soundstage that much as I haven't owned any headphone with amazing soundstage but they definitely sound less cluttered than the 650 and 58x.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #821 of 2,621
Would you please compare 599 and 560s?
Sure.
So first some details (in my country)
HD559 = 70$
HD599 = 144$
HD560s = 240$

HD559
are the only Sennheiser that i don't quite like (bloated,muddy,etc).
From 559 -> 560s is an insane jump (also 3x+ the price) but i feel its worth it (in my opinion of course).
With 559 you can only listen to EDM, Rap, Trace (bassy songs) and maybe something with vocals but bass bleeds into mids.
They suck with games, movies, youtube, etc. So i can't really recommend them.

HD599 are great!
From HD559 -> HD599 is again quite the jump. Better details, better soundstage, vocals are clean. Bass is there but doesn't bleed as much.
You can game in them, you can watch movies (its great), youtube, podcasts, you name it.
They push the mids foward and have good soundstage (better than 6xx), have good timbre.
They are very relaxing, no harsh treble, no brightness. I quite like them :)

HD560s are the best
So here we are, the new 560s. They are the best but also the most expensive. Is it worth it? In my opinion yes.
Everyone should listen to them once in their lifetime ( i don't care you have 2k$ headphones ).
In comparison (599,559) they have better detail, soundstage, imaging, bass, treble, and better defined mids (more on this later)
They are more "cold" but not bright, just perfect imo. Better treble extension and that feels like they have more energy.
Mids are not as foward (as 599) but they have more detail and are more "cold" so that creates the impression that mids are recesed. They're not!
Bass goes deep (on some songs it rattles), has speed and feels overall just better.

So 560s are the best in the 5xx range. I like them over the 6xx aswell but 6xx has it's place.
If money were no problem i would own: 599, 560s and 6xx for sure.
Maybe i'll go for the 660s in the near future.

Hope this helps, im here if you have more questions. Again, my gear is in my sig, also my spotify playlist.
Im also aware that the DAC im using its not the best. I'll get a Topping D10s or something better next month.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #823 of 2,621
Recent reviews on this thread have brought back the hype. Can't wait to try these.

I'll be honest. The first time i heard 560s i was like "these are over hyped"
After a few days i was like "these are under hyped"

LOL :beyersmile:

Oct 16, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #824 of 2,621
You are probably the first one I hear from that says the 6 series have nice soundstage. No offense, of course. Perception varies. Just saying. I tried the 660s at store before and I was shocked at how closed-in the sound was compared to my x2hr and the hd800s.

I have had the HD 600 and HD 650 for a couple of years and have always been puzzled by people saying they have such an “intimate” sound or tiny soundstage.

I always had for quite a while the Fidelio X2 and didn’t find it to have some shockingly bigger soundstage than the HD 600 or HD 650, though certainly more, yes.

Oct 16, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #825 of 2,621
Due to it's unavailability and my urgent needs for a flat open midcentric can (i mix voices) my hd600 arrives tomorrow. This thread has an intermittent hype and reading opposite things I can't understand if the mids, distant or not, are on the cold side with less body and thin chest notes, warm like dt880 and k712; neutral hd600 and shp9500 or cold like ad700 or brighter open cans... everybody's sayin better or worse but it's an opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back