The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Oct 15, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #796 of 2,621
received my 560s today. I like neutral sound so the 560s defintely had my hopes up based upon what it was advertised to be. the unit is brand new and so i have limited impressions and in fairness to the unit i should let it burn in before commenting too much. certainly i will not provide a formal review yet, but i did want to say to me it lives up to its billing and my expectation. I am extremely impressed. I do wish it had a detachable cable and maybe better quality parts. But the unassuming packaging and materials are as good or better than one has a right to expect given the price. And i like the straight forward approach - it works. I like the unit better than my jubilee and better than my senn 65x. i may even prefer it to my hd800 tonally. it is clear and has punch, good dynamics and good tonal balance. within the last week i recently received the Hedd and Final Audio D8000 pro. i can honestly say that i prefer the tonal balance over the Hedd, which sounds somewhat dark to me, is humongous, and heavy and has limited headband extension. Granted the hedd is also new so sound may change since I'm not sure how many consider it dark. also, if we are talking strictly tonal balance, I may prefer the 560s to my also new d8000 pro which requires high volume to sound its best. not saying that the 560s is a better headphone than the pro overall, but what i am saying is this headphone competes with headphones costing many times more. btw, also not ruling out that i might wind up preferring the 560s to the pro. I think where the 560s will fall short compared to the uber-expensive flagships is in size of soundstage, possibly timbre, resolution, and separation of instruments. But punch, clarity, and tonal balance are excellent and it might just compete with many flagships; though it may not come out on top, it will hold its own. if they made this unit with extravigant materials and marketing, the sound quality would certainly support a much higher cost to go along with an elevated status.
We're flattered by these "limited, early impressions" from you and everyone else!

Thanks to everyone that helped point out the twist-lock cable. Great to see all the impressions in the thread, as well. Have fun people!

Last edited:
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Oct 15, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #797 of 2,621
We're flattered by these "limited, early impressions" from you and everyone else!

Thanks to everyone that helped point out the twist-lock cable. Great to see all the impressions in the thread, as well. Have fun people!

I'm not sure if it's worthwhile but perhaps when the cable is attached during production/packing, don't lock it, so people can pull it out without needing to twist. That way there's no more confusion!

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #798 of 2,621
A lazy, initial attempt to source custom balanced 4.4mm terminated cable hasn't been successful. Well, unless I am willing to pay almost as much (actually, more in some cases) as the cost of the 560S, hahahaha.

Oct 15, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #804 of 2,621
Anyone got a link to a good replacement cable for these? They actually power pretty well off of my Note9 so the convenience of a shorter cable would be nice.Thanks
I believe any replacement cable that works on the 598/599 will work on the 560s. The genuine Sennheiser 1.5m cable is $25 I believe, but there are lots of third party brands on amazon for cheaper.

Oct 15, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #805 of 2,621
I'm not sure if it's worthwhile but perhaps when the cable is attached during production/packing, don't lock it, so people can pull it out without needing to twist. That way there's no more confusion!
Mixed feeling. I almost returned my first Sennheiser (HD4.50 BTNC) due to a 'lose' contact. I received cable detached (it was online "unboxed" deal) and didn't figure out that socket is very deep and it needed quite strong force to go in. Bottom of line, always read f%$# manual. :)

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #806 of 2,621

Awesome. Now please ramp up production so that retailers selling Sennheiser products can get them in stock too...Christmas is coming!!

Oct 15, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #807 of 2,621
Received mine about an hour ago. These are my initial impressions. Its early days and impressions always change over the course of a few days/weeks but here goes.

(Note that any other headphone I mention, I've have owned or currently own)

- build/fit is identical to the 598/599

-included cable is ridiculously long, but luckily I have a genuine sennheiser cable on hand (worked on 598/599)

- initial impression is that these sound like a 598/599 tuned to sound like a 58x. Swapping between the 58x and 560s, the sound signatures are extremely similar. The 560s however has more detail and clarity than the 598/599. Its closer to the 6 series, much like the 58x is.

- 560s has more soundstage than 58x/6xx. Its similar to 599, 598 was slightly wider. Its still nice and large.

-560s has less forward mids than 58x (probably a side effect of increased soundstage)

-bass to me is very similar to 58x, which is great.

-sounds a tad more "clear" than 58x

- the 6xx, to me, are clearly better still. Just a level of detail and clarity that is a step above the 58x and 560s.

-The 560s is much better than the X2HR IMO. Wide soundstage with my preferred sound.

So all in all, I think they are like a wider 58x. That is exactly what I was looking for honestly. It makes sense too, as these are billed by Sennheiser as a budget 660s sort of, and the 58x are well known for sounding similar to the 660s. These could possibly replace my 58x, and those are my favorite headphone even though the 6xx are technically better.

Still have to try them with gaming. First impressions are positive, but maybe not out of orbit like some early reviews have been.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #808 of 2,621
Received mine about an hour ago. These are my initial impressions. Its early days and impressions always change over the course of a few days/weeks but here goes.

-included cable is ridiculously long, but luckily I have a genuine sennheiser cable on hand (worked on 598/599)

- initial impression is that these sound like a 598/599 tuned to sound like a 58x. Swapping between the 58x and 560s, the sound signatures are extremely similar. The 560s however has more detail and clarity than the 598/599. Its closer to the 6 series, much like the 58x is.

- 560s has more soundstage than 58x/6xx. Its similar to 599, 598 was slightly wider. Its still nice and large.

-560s has less forward mids than 58x (probably a side effect of increased soundstage)

- the 6xx, to me, are clearly better still. Just a level of detail and clarity that is a step above the 58x and 560s.

-The 560s is much better than the X2HR IMO. Wide soundstage with my preferred sound.

So all in all, I think they are like a wider 58x. That is exactly what I was looking for honestly. It makes sense too, as these are billed by Sennheiser as a budget 660s sort of, and the 58x are well known for sounding similar to the 660s. These could possibly replace my 58x, and those are my favorite headphone even though the 6xx are technically better.

Still have to try them with gaming. First impressions are positive, but maybe not out of orbit like some early reviews have been.
Thanks as I have the 58x I don’t need the 560s then. I’d like to hear them one day though. Maybe if they go on sale for $120. 👏

Oct 15, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #809 of 2,621

I like them more than 6xx.
Also the mids are more cold so maybe that creates the impression that they a more recessed

Oct 15, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #810 of 2,621

I just got mine in. Have an hd58x. I agree with basically everything he said. They definitely are more neutral. I feel less forward mids. The soundstage is great for me. It's not huge in depth but I don't like that personally. It has just enough depth to give some space but I don't feel like I'm in the back of the room (I had this experience when I tried the Sundara's, which I actually didn't care for much). There is better clarity and instrument separation to my ears.

I wish there was a little more clarity and definition in the bass and low mids, but that's my opinion.

Everything sounds great and it definitely sounds like a Sennheiser. Kind of a relaxed presentation. But still some good clarity and definition (wish I had a little more in the bass and low mids) but the imaging and soundstage is nice.

They don't sound like $1000 headphones, but I definitely think these are worth the $200. These are very easy to listen to and nothing sounds out of balance. I'll be keeping them!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back