The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Oct 14, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #736 of 2,621
Well, but how do you know what a amp/DAC sounds like if you don't have an audibly transparent amp/DAC to compare it to? You still need an amp/DAC to be neutral to do such comparisons.
Ha!
Maybe you have a point there I don't know :)
I believe my statement still stands and I can compare things and hear differences which is interesting but if my reasoning doesn't hold up, then I shall bow to your and others expertise.

Oct 14, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #738 of 2,621
I decided to keep one pair and mail back the other. worst case scenario is I just sell them on here at a bit of a loss. no big deal. just was frustrated earlier. hope i enjoy them all, finally can decide if hd58x remains my retired headphones as they have for last 3 years or if i am selling them and keeping 560S.

bleh. frustrating, but I do love these 58X, for a 30-40 dollar loss, it will be interesting to see which one ends up winning for me... I will report back in a couple weeks which I like best.

deep down I hope 560S wins out against 58X just because of the trouble it caused me lol

Oct 14, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #739 of 2,621
First few songs, "Dreams" - Fleetwood Mac and "Listen to the music" - The Doobie Brothers

I don't want to say too many details just yet about the sound, but it reminds me of flat studio monitors

Very light and comfortable. These might disappear on my head unlike my lcd2.

(*Listening with my Basx A100 and HRT dac)

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #740 of 2,621
First few songs, "Dreams" - Fleetwood Mac and "Listen to the music" - The Doobie Brothers

I don't want to say too many details just yet about the sound, but it reminds me of flat studio monitors

yeah the comfort factor being described as HD598 was one of the big selling points for me originally too alongside the soundstage thing. I remember many years ago... the HD598 just vanishes on your head yet still remains secure. where as my SHP9500 vanish on your head but they aren't fully secure. Senn really had a great design there

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #741 of 2,621
I decided to keep one pair and mail back the other. worst case scenario is I just sell them on here at a bit of a loss. no big deal. just was frustrated earlier. hope i enjoy them all, finally can decide if hd58x remains my retired headphones as they have for last 3 years or if i am selling them and keeping 560S.

bleh. frustrating, but I do love these 58X, for a 30-40 dollar loss, it will be interesting to see which one ends up winning for me... I will report back in a couple weeks which I like best.

deep down I hope 560S wins out against 58X just because of the trouble it caused me lol

Good luck.

(*Listening with my Basx A100 and HRT dac)

Nice songs..
Yeah they sound more flat/neutral than hd599/hd6xx for sure.

Oct 14, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #742 of 2,621
@Sennheiser hope you figure out your logistics better someday, but besides that... can say my initial impressions are HD58X may very well be retired and to be sold... not making final decision for two weeks, but I am very impressed by 560S so far... I don't agree with people saying they have more bass than HD650 though, its been a good 5-6 years since I heard HD650 but I remember the bass being way more insane than this. but I still really enjoy it. I really like the energy of female vocals when they peak on the 560S and the clarity of 560S does seem a notch higher than 58X which is very important to me cause my brain is stupid and struggles to make out words sometimes.

edit: my asgard 2 at noon = these things sing ~ oh sweet mama

after hours the weeknd ~ nom nom nom me like 560S

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #743 of 2,621
@Sennheiser hope you figure out your logistics better someday, but besides that... can say my initial impressions are HD58X may very well be retired and to be sold... not making final decision for two weeks, but I am very impressed by 560S so far... I don't agree with people saying they have more bass than HD650 though, its been a good 5-6 years since I heard HD650 but I remember the bass being way more insane than this. but I still really enjoy it. I really like the energy of female vocals when they peak on the 560S and the clarity of 560S does seem a notch higher than 58X which is very important to me cause my brain is stupid and struggles to make out words sometimes.

edit: my asgard 2 at noon = these things sing ~ oh sweet mama

after hours the weeknd ~ nom nom nom me like 560S

Hallelujah! :sweat_smile:

Oct 14, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #744 of 2,621
Hallelujah! :sweat_smile:

I can answer my own question from earlier for anyone that cares, the weeknd when his voice gets super high, these headphones handle it sooooooooo good, omg it sounds so good lmao, Senn removed that veil from the HD58X, HD6-- series to my ears. the energy of highs is absolutely perfect. this may surpass Beyer T90's as my all time fav headphone for female vocals - but we will see. need more time with them... the fact I can even say that though speaks to how amazing these cans are competing with such a high end can. wow.

Oct 14, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #746 of 2,621
I can answer my own question from earlier for anyone that cares, the weeknd when his voice gets super high, these headphones handle it sooooooooo good, omg it sounds so good lmao, Senn removed that veil from the HD58X, HD6-- series to my ears. the energy of highs is absolutely perfect. this may surpass Beyer T90's as my all time fav headphone for female vocals - but we will see. need more time with them... the fact I can even say that though speaks to how amazing these cans are competing with such a high end can. wow.
I'm loving them with female vocals but my bias is I just love female vocals :)

Oct 14, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #747 of 2,621
Okay, off the bat I am keeping these.

IMO I think everything DMS said was accurate.

"Are you in?" - Incubus is one of my favorite test tracks for listening to detail, timbre, imaging and separation in a headphone.

I am picking out a good level of vocal detail other headsets tend to smear over. Soundstage is less claustrophobic and separation is improved over my old HD580.

Sss sounds are non existent with a less shouty vocal HD600 midrange.

*HD580/600 do have a more accurate timbre so there are a few tradeoffs. Slight eq helps with timbre of cymbals imo.

Professional audio engineers/studio world will love these.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #749 of 2,621
The details on this headphone are more apparent than the HD6XX/650. The 650 is smoother and easier to listen to louder and has more mid bass. The 560S has more air, more stage and more detail in the bass. The 650's mids are fuller, closer and a little more congested. These seem like a wider HD600 with more soundstage and a clearer image and to come ears they may sound less refined do to a little treble peak which seems a bit shouty at times (could be the recording or my volume). Overall YES, they are awesome and seem like an upgraded version of the HD598? Worth a buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back