The New Brainwavz S3 “Silver Bullet” Earphones with Clearwavz Remote & Microphone
Oct 22, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #257 of 316
  With the S3 and every ones feedback on what they are hearing, i would just chime that from my experience with dealing with a lot of people and their feedback and such, one persons opinion on 'lots of bass' to another the same sound can be 'not much bass'. I feel that bass is usually the region in the sound spectrum that people will greatly differ on what they feel as light or heavy sounding and how they generally interpret the sound. Its also not just down to ones tastes, how good a persons hearing and what they have been listening to (especially if you listen to a lot of music through earphone and headphones on a daily basis).

If you look at the graphs posted here measured through the different rigs and calibration, you'll find that they are essentially showing the same fr. I would probably say the varying opinions is down to peoples difference in taste and the differences in how people hear things. Of course, a few problem units can be there where the airhole is obstructed causing the bass to come off to flat, which might be what happened to nmatheis.

But, as i strongly believe, there is no right answer to how something sounds as that comes down to ones own tastes or what their hearing ability allows them to hear. So truthfully, none of you are wrong in your opinions on the sound and i won't say who is right and wrong here as i simply don't know how you hear :wink:

....i also wouldn't release a product that i knew didn't sound good (whats the point in that) :)

Raz

Thanks.  I sent this to Pandora though - and whilst I know my measurement rig is not 100% calibrated, it is incredibly consistent, and I'm actually pretty happy with the way it is measuring bass response. I've nulled out the actual sound card so it is calibrated to measure completely flat, so the only difference may be in the mic.  I'm not far away from Tyll's general raw data for other IEMs though.

I've been waiting (haven't proceeded with a review) simply because I'm not sure whether to proceed or not. The roll-off is exactly what I'm hearing too.

You guys will have an idea of how they measure - is there a big roll-off in the bass from 100 Hz down?

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #258 of 316
Raz

Thanks.  I sent this to Pandora though - and whilst I know my measurement rig is not 100% calibrated, it is incredibly consistent, and I'm actually pretty happy with the way it is measuring bass response. I've nulled out the actual sound card so it is calibrated to measure completely flat, so the only difference may be in the mic.  I'm not far away from Tyll's general raw data for other IEMs though.

I've been waiting (haven't proceeded with a review) simply because I'm not sure whether to proceed or not. The roll-off is exactly what I'm hearing too.

Its is not much bothering. I find it enough. And i dont think you are much off the mark.
You guys will have an idea of how they measure - is there a big roll-off in the bass from 100 Hz down?

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #260 of 316
Just heard back from Pandora.  The graphs I posted were pretty much confirmed by their engineers, and yes the bass roll-off really is that steep, and it is intentional.  So I'll be reviewing the pair I have.

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #261 of 316
  Just heard back from Pandora.  The graphs I posted were pretty much confirmed by their engineers, and yes the bass roll-off really is that steep, and it is intentional.  So I'll be reviewing the pair I have.

So maybe the units where the bass starts to roll of more audibly only after 60hz are the defective ones 

Oct 30, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #263 of 316
Were yours similar to mine Avi?

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #265 of 316
Well, I was also worried about production issues and differences but I guess I'll also post my review this weekend. Anyway, while the sub-bass is nothing spectacular for me it's definitely not that bad and rolled off. As I said, the Jive's sub-bass doesn't sound that much more pronounced but might be partially because it's way too soft on the impact while the s3's is tighter and punchier. At any rate for me the s3 is the best of the S series. In fact as I also have the fiio ex1, which is similarly priced, for review and while they have different presentations on overall sq level the ex1 wins only by a small margin as both have their pros and cons.

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #267 of 316
I find it surprising that the fit on these are awful (for me, at least), quality control issues, the cable is springy, they're heavy, and there's a massive bass roll-off, but no one gave this under 3 stars. Well, I guess there's a first for everything.

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #269 of 316
I find it surprising that the fit on these are awful (for me, at least), quality control issues, the cable is springy, they're heavy, and there's a massive bass roll-off, but no one gave this under 3 stars. Well, I guess there's a first for everything.

Go for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back