The New Brainwavz S3 “Silver Bullet” Earphones with Clearwavz Remote & Microphone
Oct 14, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #226 of 316
Yep

And it's really consistent - so even uncalibrated, relative measurements should be showing IEM relativities to each other.

But my measurements of many IEMs Tyl has also measured show pretty much similar graphs for the raw data.

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #227 of 316
  Yep

And it's really consistent - so even uncalibrated, relative measurements should be showing IEM relativities to each other.

But my measurements of many IEMs Tyl has also measured show pretty much similar graphs for the raw data.

So my veritas curve agrees with yours in terms of the 5kHz peak and 2 peaks past 10kHz, and so does my listening of the S3. However, mine doesn't have nearly as much of a bass roll off as yours seems to indicate.

This is interesting to say the least..

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #228 of 316
What tips are you using, and what sound card?  Can you post a graph - especially if you can put the Jive on the same graph - then we can compare our comparisons 
smile.gif

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #229 of 316
  What tips are you using, and what sound card?  Can you post a graph - especially if you can put the Jive on the same graph - then we can compare our comparisons 
smile.gif

So I havent been posting my graphs because, unfortunately, my FR isn't quite right. I'm considering finding a way to make my own calibration so that the graph is more accurate.

However, comparing IEMs is still accurate even if the graphs themselves aren't quite right. To my ears and measurements, the Jive are more U shaped than the S3, so that makes sense. But that still doesn't quite explain the roll off your S3 has. Does it sound that rolled off to you? I actually felt that the S3 has one of the best bass balance and quality I've heard in a while from a lower end IEM

Also im using the green sony? tips that came with the S3

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #230 of 316
I can't use Sony Isolation (same hybrid tips - but with foam inside) mainly because I get vacuum issues.  So I'm using the included Comply. Wondering if my vents are partially blocked?

Anyway - if you could post a graph showing S3 and Jive on same graph, it would help.  Raw data is fine.  My S3 have practically no sub-bass.  

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #231 of 316
I have a behringer measuring microphone that I use for speakers, not sure how I would measure IEM'S with it.

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #232 of 316
I tried to get my graph roughly on the same scale as yours, Paul.

Here's what my pair of S3 looks like using the green hybrids Lawrance is using (my faves):

I was asked about the Jive compared to the S3 - I graphed them tonight.

I intentionally crossed the graphs at 1 kHz - but to be honest, might have been more accurate crossing at around the 2 kHz mark (which would have evened out the bass gap a little). Both done with same tips, multiple iterations.

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #233 of 316
I'll measure them again in another couple of hours - but ultimately I'm wondering if its my pair.

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #234 of 316
I tried to get my graph roughly on the same scale as yours, Paul.

Here's what my pair of S3 looks like using the green hybrids Lawrance is using (my faves):

I'm pretty good with reading frequency response graphs and seeing what I hear and your graph looks more like how I hear the S3.

This backs up what I'm hearing, too much in the 250 to 500hz area.

Oct 15, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #239 of 316

On the contrary, I thought they were supposed to sound like that. I'm afraid that I'll go to Pandora saying something's wrong with the bass and she'll say "um... no, that's the way it's supposed to be". 
eek.gif

Brainwavz and thin bass have generally not gone hand in hand. I would think it might be some sort of issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back