The New Brainwavz S3 “Silver Bullet” Earphones with Clearwavz Remote & Microphone
Oct 2, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #196 of 316
I don't have heard any of the other S-series, but imho the S3 is fairly good. Not overly bassy, but quite warm. I get slightly more bass with the narrow bore tips, which also smooth out some unevenness in the middle treble.
Resolution is fairly good, but not as good as the M3. Rather on R3-level.
Overall, it is a good IEM, but needs some minor refinement.
My reviews should go online this weekend.

All just in my opinion and from what I perceive.

Oct 2, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #197 of 316
I think the sharpness of the edge on the hole in the S3's aluminum body causes more noise than the smoother hole in heavier metal of the S5. I will to check when I get home but I think the hole faces in on the S5 which in conjunction with the bend of the S5 would shelter the hole from wind better.

yes! @dweaver

you hit the nail on the head!

the interior facing vent on the s5s i found isolated better as well! and the bend allows to sit more flush as well, helping it more

i also found the edge (where the logo is facing) is a bit rough, which makes it feel (not as clean as the s5s) which was nicely smoothed off 

Oct 2, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #198 of 316
  Explain. What does my hype of the Pistons 2 have to do with my opinion of the Brainwavz S3? 

I'm just teasing you.

Btw, I don't know if it's just me but I think there should be Discussion threads for S3 and the Jive in the portables section of the forums as I don't know how many people, especially new users looking for new iems and such, check the Sponsor Announcements section.

Oct 2, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #199 of 316
Oct 3, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #201 of 316
Haha - appreciation and/or bitch thread, lol
wink_face.gif

Yeah, well...the powers that be changed the name. This is the MOST PC forum I've ever been on. Oh well. 
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #203 of 316
Makes sense though since this forum serves young and old alike...

Oct 3, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #204 of 316
Yeah, I know. But most people old enough to care about this stuff have already heard that "controversial" term, and the language I hear kids use today - even quite young ones - blows me away. That thread title is nothing compared to the average 12yo's vocabulary when their parents aren't around :eek:

Oct 3, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #205 of 316
Yeah, I know. But most people old enough to care about this stuff have already heard that "controversial" term, and the language I hear kids use today - even quite young ones - blows me away. That thread title is nothing compared to the average 12yo's vocabulary when their parents aren't around
eek.gif

Agree 100%. Kids nowadays are exposed to exponentially worse language any time they log into an online video game or discussion board. Oh well, no biggie. Just thought it was humorous since I'm on so many sites/groups from motorcycles to skiing to weightlifting to guitars and all of them wouldn't bat an eye at that term. Maybe I need to find the TOS and see if they have a list of approved and/or banned terms. LOL

Oct 3, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #206 of 316
Here is my S3 review...
http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-s3/reviews/14144

I really do like them. A bit harder to work with to find the right tip and the right depth for the best sound but very likable. Didn't take any points away for them being much in the way of newness. Not fair to do so because I had all the other model which most people won't.  Still, I found the comfort nothing special and the bass needs some pushing with longer, firmer tips and.or some more juice to make it blossom as much as possible. An angled nozzle and a taller/airier presentation would have been just right for me.
etysmile.gif

And I didn't use the B**** word in my review title so I think it is safe if a bit generic
wink_face.gif

Oct 7, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #209 of 316
This might interest you chaps.  I'll post it in the other thread as well.

S3 arrived a couple of days ago.  Although I don't believe in it, burnt it in with pink noise anyway. Then measured it tonight.  Red is the S5, white is the S0, green is the S3.

All measurements taken with same tips (Comply S), on same rig, and at same levels.  So even if the calibration isn't 100%, the relativities are. I took a set of 5 measurements on each IEM, then repeated - and the measurements were practically identical (within 0.2 dB across whole spectrum between both sets of measurements).

Kind of matches what I'm hearing too.  Bass is defintely a lot lighter than I'd normally expect from Brainwavz.  Nice clarity, but because of the steep drop off after the 5-6kHz peak, they are clear but quite smooth.

Sounds very similar to the S1 actually - but with less bass.

S5 comparatively to both sounds a bit boomier, and with extra sizzle at the other end.

I'll measure again with silicones in a few more days. 

Oct 7, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #210 of 316

This might interest you chaps.  I'll post it in the other thread as well.

S3 arrived a couple of days ago.  Although I don't believe in it, burnt it in with pink noise anyway. Then measured it tonight.  Red is the S5, white is the S0, green is the S3.

All measurements taken with same tips (Comply S), on same rig, and at same levels.  So even if the calibration isn't 100%, the relativities are. I took a set of 5 measurements on each IEM, then repeated - and the measurements were practically identical (within 0.2 dB across whole spectrum between both sets of measurements).

Kind of matches what I'm hearing too.  Bass is defintely a lot lighter than I'd normally expect from Brainwavz.  Nice clarity, but because of the steep drop off after the 5-6kHz peak, they are clear but quite smooth.

Sounds very similar to the S1 actually - but with less bass.

S5 comparatively to both sounds a bit boomier, and with extra sizzle at the other end.

I'll measure again with silicones in a few more days. 

I personally like it with the included bi-flanges like I also did with the R3. Anyway, I'll be posting my S3 review (after my way overdue Jive review) this weekend but overall I quite like it and it's definitely an oddball in the S family - in some ways sounds like if S0 and R3 had a baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back