The New Brainwavz S3 “Silver Bullet” Earphones with Clearwavz Remote & Microphone
Nov 3, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #271 of 316
This has been my favorite brainwavz to date. It's a really smooth and easy listen

Then we have different S3's. Since mine is supposedly the intended sound signature, a glorious mistake for you, what fun 
redface.gif

No issues with heavy-ness or overall fit? Mine doesn't seem to stay in my ear. The S3 is a bit too large for that.

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #272 of 316
Then we have different S3's. Since mine is supposedly the intended sound signature. A glorious mistake for you, what fun :xf_eek:

No issues with heavy-ness or overall fit?
I indicated some fit issues in my review. It had more to do with the cable weight and flat noodle style than the housing. I go over the ear with them and that remedies the weight issues for the most part.

They definitely aren't for people who listen to Pop/Hip Hop/EDM. They work great with just about anything that doesn't have synthesized bass

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #273 of 316
I indicated some fit issues in my review. It had more to do with the cable weight and flat noodle style than the housing. I go over the ear with them and that remedies the weight issues for the most part.

They definitely aren't for people who listen to Pop/Hip Hop/EDM. They work great with just about anything that doesn't have synthesized bass

I don't know any genres that are good with it besides for classical music. Any other suggestions?

Edit: I don't see where you indicated fit issues in your review. You sure it's there?

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #274 of 316
Speaking of personal preference (as in my reviews, I usually try to keep personal preferences out) and about the technical level on which they are, I also don't find the S3 bad. Sure, sub-bass is rolled off and treble is on the darker side, but they aren't bad at all for the price. They fit quite well into the range of the M3 and R3 - imho.

Edit: I also had some fit issues (with the wide bore tips as they are too "wobbly", but none with the narrow-bore tips), which I also indicated in my review. Still, I managed to get a good seal and fit after trying and adjusting and re-adjusting.

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #276 of 316
Nov 3, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #277 of 316
I'm glad we have different tastes and review styles. Wouldn't it be boring if we didn't?

avitron142: What's your hesitance to publish a review for these? If you feel strongly that these get a more critical review to balance out what you perceive as overly positive reviews, you should pull the trigger on a review.

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #278 of 316
I'm glad we have different tastes and review styles. Wouldn't it be boring if we didn't?

avitron142: What's your hesitance to publish a review for these? If you feel strongly that these get a more critical review to balance out what you perceive as overly positive reviews, you should pull the trigger on a review.
I agree 100 percent. Just because other people think differently it shouldn't change personal opinion.

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #279 of 316

@avitron142: What's your hesitance to publish a review for these? If you feel strongly that these get a more critical review to balance out what you perceive as overly positive reviews, you should pull the trigger on a review.

No hesitance here, just a little burned out from the m9XX review. 7200 words in a short time took a chunk out of my soul.

Also, I was waiting to hear back from Brainwavz, which I didn't, actually. I only recently heard from Brooko confirmation of what I was hearing.

I agree 100 percent. Just because other people think differently it shouldn't change personal opinion.

Didn't read the cons carefully enough, my bad. Shouldn't it also be mentioned in the fit section though? Different strokes for different folks.

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #281 of 316
I don't mean to be as critical as I sound, just a bit grumpy on this end (two products in a row with very positive reviews that I don't feel as enthusiastically about). I apologize if I offended anybody, it won't happen again. Cheers!

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #282 of 316
No hesitance here, just a little burned out from the m9XX review. 7200 words in a short time took a chunk out of my soul.

Also, I was waiting to hear back from Brainwavz, which I didn't, actually. I only recently heard from Brooko confirmation of what I was hearing.
It's not as big of an issue for me as what it sounds like to you bud.

Looking forward to hearing your take on these.

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #284 of 316
It's not as big of an issue for me as what it sounds like to you bud.

Your roll-off is not as bad as mine, probably. I've had some neutral recording headphones, there is literally no sub-bass on mine. I'll try over the ear to fix the issues, thanks for that.

Looking forward to hearing your take on these.

I'm not 
frown.gif
 I don't like writing reviews where I have a negative feeling about the product; I don't like disappointing people (or the manufacturers), so writing this is a bit of a bummer.

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #285 of 316
FWIW - I've been putting some more time in on these, and should be writing them up hopefully over the next week.  Has been hard because I've been splitting my time between Zen, Titan 3/5, as well as trying to get my head around the X7.

Yesterday I spent around 3 hours with the S3 and only the S3 to try and nail it down a little more (so plenty of time to get accustomed to them).

At low level listening, they are not too bad - but the low bass is quite AWOL on them.  The problem is, I have a tendency to try and turn them up to compensate for the missing bass. With more volume, the mids get fatiguing pretty quickly - not the highs - the mids.  Too forward, and started to be come strident.

I don't have too many issues with the fit - but really dislike the flat cables.

I can totally understand where Avitron is coming from.  And reading between the lines - especially as I know some of you like warmer signatures than I do, and I usually gravitate to a more balanced, and even slightly bright sound - the only thing I can think of is that there is some massive variation in the overall tuning with the samples we have.

I sent my graphs to Brainwavz engineers to check if I should ask for a replacement.  Pandora confirmed mine were OK.

I won't say I dislike them - as they have their good points.  But I will say that they introduce more issues than they solve, and for me personally (unless things change when I get to the critical listening part next week), they are a 50/50 IEM at best. At $80 there are far better earphones out there - really, comparatively on the value stakes I couldn't recommend them.

I do wish Head-Fi's "star" rating scale had 2-3 stars as an amber / average rating - rather than 3-5 = positive and 0-3 = negative.  At the moment - I'm hovering at 2.0-2.5 - and I know it will come out as a negative review, but it is how I read them so far.

If any of you guys with measuring equipment - especially Veritas - can measure uncompensated (raw data) with included comply tips and post graphs - I would appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back